Proof By Induction: Fibonacci Sequence

In summary: Therefore, the LHS is equal to the RHS and the statement is true. In summary, the given statement is true for n=2 and k=1 and can be proven using the binomial theorem and the given definition of f(n).
dba

Homework Statement

[itex]\sum_{i=0}^{k} {k \choose i}f_{n+i} = f_{n+2k} [/itex]

Homework Equations

Definition:
[itex] f(0)=0 ; f(1)=1 [/itex]
[itex]f(n)=f_{n-1} + f_{n-2}[/itex] for [itex] n>=2[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I searched a basis for which the statement is true:
n=2 and k=1
[itex]\sum_{i=0}^{1} {1 \choose i}f_{2+i} = f_{2+2(1)} [/itex]
i=0: [itex]{1 \choose 0}f_{2+0} + {1 \choose 1}f_{3} = 3[/itex]

and

[itex]f_{n+2k} = f_{2+2(1)} = f_{4} = 3[/itex]

I assume for k-1
[itex]\sum_{i=0}^{k-1} {k-1 \choose i}f_{n+i} = f_{n+2(k-1)} [/itex]

I need to show
[itex]\sum_{i=0}^{k} {k \choose i}f_{n+i} = f_{n+2k} [/itex]

Normally I would take the Left-hand-side(LHS) and
[itex]\sum_{i=0}^{k} {k \choose i}f_{n+i} = \sum_{i=0}^{k-1} {k-1 \choose i}f_{n+i} +k [/itex]

I do not know how to write the summation notation in a way that I could get to the Right-hand-side(RHS) which would be f_{n+2k}

Thanks for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org

First, let's rewrite the LHS using the given definition:
\sum_{i=0}^{k} {k \choose i}f_{n+i} = \sum_{i=0}^{k} {k \choose i} (f_{n+i-1} + f_{n+i-2})

Then, we can split this into two summations:
\sum_{i=0}^{k} {k \choose i}f_{n+i-1} + \sum_{i=0}^{k} {k \choose i}f_{n+i-2}

Next, we can use the binomial theorem to expand the first summation:
\sum_{i=0}^{k} {k \choose i}f_{n+i-1} = \sum_{i=0}^{k} {k \choose i} (f_{n+i} + f_{n+i-1})

Now, we can combine this with the second summation to get:
\sum_{i=0}^{k} {k \choose i}f_{n+i-1} + \sum_{i=0}^{k} {k \choose i}f_{n+i-2} = \sum_{i=0}^{k} {k \choose i} (f_{n+i} + f_{n+i-1}) + \sum_{i=0}^{k} {k \choose i}f_{n+i-2}

Using the distributive property, we can rewrite this as:
\sum_{i=0}^{k} {k \choose i} (f_{n+i} + f_{n+i-1} + f_{n+i-2})

Now, we can use the given definition again to rewrite the summation:
\sum_{i=0}^{k} {k \choose i} (f_{n+i} + f_{n+i-1} + f_{n+i-2}) = \sum_{i=0}^{k} {k \choose i} (f_{n+i+1} + f_{n+i})

Finally, we can use the binomial theorem to expand this last summation and we will get:
\sum_{i=0}^{k} {k \choose i} (f_{n+i+1} + f_{

Related to Proof By Induction: Fibonacci Sequence

What is the Fibonacci sequence?

The Fibonacci sequence is a mathematical sequence where each number is the sum of the two preceding numbers, starting with 0 and 1. So the sequence goes like this: 0, 1, 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 13, 21, 34, and so on.

What is proof by induction?

Proof by induction is a method used in mathematics to prove that a statement is true for all natural numbers. It involves showing that the statement is true for the first natural number, and then assuming it is true for some arbitrary natural number k and using that assumption to prove that it is also true for k+1. This process is repeated until the statement has been proven true for all natural numbers.

How is proof by induction used to prove the Fibonacci sequence?

Proof by induction can be used to prove the Fibonacci sequence by first showing that the statement is true for the first two numbers in the sequence (0 and 1), and then assuming it is true for an arbitrary number k and using that assumption to prove that it is also true for k+1. This process can be repeated for all natural numbers, thus proving that the statement is true for the entire Fibonacci sequence.

Why is proof by induction used for the Fibonacci sequence?

Proof by induction is used for the Fibonacci sequence because it is a powerful and efficient method of proving a statement for all natural numbers. Since the Fibonacci sequence is infinite, it would be impossible to prove its validity by checking every single number. Proof by induction allows us to prove the statement for all natural numbers in a systematic way.

What are some common misconceptions about proof by induction and the Fibonacci sequence?

Some common misconceptions about proof by induction and the Fibonacci sequence include thinking that the Fibonacci sequence can only be proved by using induction, or that proof by induction can only be used for mathematical sequences. In reality, there are other ways to prove the Fibonacci sequence and proof by induction can be used for a variety of mathematical statements and proofs, not just sequences.