Proof about isomorphism (Graph Theory)

In summary, the proof shows that for a 2-regular graph on 5 vertices, the resulting graph is always equivalent to a pentagon. This is because each vertex must be adjacent to a unique vertex, leading to a deterministic construction of the graph. Therefore, there is only one 2-regular graph on 5 vertices, up to isomorphism.
TheMathNoob

Homework Statement

1. Prove or disprove up to isomorphism, there is only one 2-regular graph on 5 vertices.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am making this thread again hence I think I will get more help in this section
old thread https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/proof-about-isomorphism-graph-theory.850945/#post-5337080

Proof

Let Z be a set of 5 vertices v1,v2,v3,v4,v5. A 2-regular graph on 5 vertices is a graph in which the degree of every vertex is 2.
If we start linking every vertex with every other vertex in the set in a way that the degree of the vertices can be 2, we will realize that the graph is always equivalent to a pentagon.

Pick V1
In this case we can just link V1 to any vertex hence there is currently just one vertex in the graph. Let’s do V1V2.

Pick V2
In this case we can just link V2 to remaining vertices because V2 is already linked to V1. Let’s do V2V3.

Pick V3
In this case we can’t link V3 to V1 because the remaining vertices would have to have a degree of just 1. And we can’t like V3 to V2 because they are already linked, so the best option for V3 is any remaining vertex. Let’s do V3V4

Pick V4
In this we can’t link V4 to V1 and V2 because the remaining vertex would have to have a degree of 0 and V3 because they are already linked. The best option for V4 would be V5. Let’s do V4V5.

Pick V5
This is the last vertex and the only way to make this graph 2 regular would be by linking V5 to V1.

We can just do the same process in any order you want and the outcome will always be a pentagon. Permuting vertices in a pentagon just creates isomorphic relations among themselves therefore there is just one 2-regular graph on 5 vertices.

Physics news on Phys.org
TheMathNoob said:

Homework Statement

1. Prove or disprove up to isomorphism, there is only one 2-regular graph on 5 vertices.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am making this thread again hence I think I will get more help in this section
old thread https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/proof-about-isomorphism-graph-theory.850945/#post-5337080

Proof

Let Z be a set of 5 vertices v1,v2,v3,v4,v5. A 2-regular graph on 5 vertices is a graph in which the degree of every vertex is 2.
If we start linking every vertex with every other vertex in the set in a way that the degree of the vertices can be 2, we will realize that the graph is always equivalent to a pentagon.

Pick V1
In this case we can just link V1 to any vertex hence there is currently just one vertex in the graph. Let’s do V1V2.

Pick V2
In this case we can just link V2 to remaining vertices because V2 is already linked to V1. Let’s do V2V3.

Pick V3
In this case we can’t link V3 to V1 because the remaining vertices would have to have a degree of just 1. And we can’t like V3 to V2 because they are already linked, so the best option for V3 is any remaining vertex. Let’s do V3V4

Pick V4
In this we can’t link V4 to V1 and V2 because the remaining vertex would have to have a degree of 0 and V3 because they are already linked. The best option for V4 would be V5. Let’s do V4V5.

Pick V5
This is the last vertex and the only way to make this graph 2 regular would be by linking V5 to V1.

We can just do the same process in any order you want and the outcome will always be a pentagon. Permuting vertices in a pentagon just creates isomorphic relations among themselves therefore there is just one 2-regular graph on 5 vertices.
Your proof looks ok to me. Is that all you are asking?

haruspex said:
Your proof looks ok to me. Is that all you are asking?
Thank you!. I finally made sense. How can I improve my notation?

TheMathNoob said:
Thank you!. I finally made sense. How can I improve my notation?
I would probably have expressed it differently. Rather than saying, 'pick' another vertex, I would take the graph as given and say that v2 must be adjacent to a unique vertex other than v1, call it v3, etc. In this way you build up all the adjacencies deterministically.

Related to Proof about isomorphism (Graph Theory)

1. What is isomorphism in graph theory?

Isomorphism in graph theory refers to the concept of two graphs having the same structure, even if the names of the vertices or edges are different. In other words, two isomorphic graphs have the same number of vertices, edges, and the same connections between them.

2. How can you prove that two graphs are isomorphic?

There are several methods for proving isomorphism between two graphs, including the visual method, the degree sequence method, and the adjacency matrix method. The most common and rigorous method is the adjacency matrix method, where the adjacency matrices of the two graphs are compared for similarity.

3. Can two non-isomorphic graphs have the same adjacency matrix?

No, two non-isomorphic graphs cannot have the same adjacency matrix. The adjacency matrix of a graph is a unique representation of its structure, and any differences in the matrix would indicate a difference in the graph's structure.

4. What is the significance of proving isomorphism in graph theory?

Proving isomorphism in graph theory is important for understanding the properties and relationships between different graphs. It can also help identify patterns and similarities between seemingly different graphs and simplify complex problems by reducing them to isomorphic graphs.

5. Can two isomorphic graphs have different numbers of Hamiltonian cycles?

Yes, two isomorphic graphs can have different numbers of Hamiltonian cycles. While isomorphic graphs have the same structure, the placement of the Hamiltonian cycles can be different in each graph. Thus, the number of Hamiltonian cycles may vary between two isomorphic graphs.