What do we mean whe we say that electrons absorb photons

In summary: The two descriptions are both correct at the same time, but we need to use quantum field theory to properly describe it.
Stranger
What do we mean whe we say that electrons absorb photons...is it that electrons store photons somewhere...

Physics news on Phys.org
No, electrons don't store photons.

Essentially, the interaction obeys this rule:

Electron with energy E1 + photon with energy E2 --> electron with energy (E1 + E2).

The photon is destroyed in the process. The electron does not 'store' the photon itself, but it does take on the photon's energy.

- Warren

what do you think is the situation when electron are waves...

Quantum-mechanically, waves and particles are one and the same. What exactly do you mean?

- Warren

Originally posted by Stranger
What do we mean whe we say that electrons absorb photons...is it that electrons store photons somewhere...

Do you mean to say "atoms" instead of "electrons"? That would be the most likely thing, I think.

Quantum-mechanically, waves and particles are one and the same. What exactly do you mean?

Is it that when photons (when considered as particles) are absorbed by electron...then the electrons should be described a particle...and that when photons are considered as waves the electron, absorbing it is also wave...my question was can we consider electrons as waves while considering the photon, that the electron absorbs, as particles...how would you describe a wave absorbing a particle...

You describe a wave/particle absorbing a wave/particle

deBroigles wavelength..It equals Plancks Constant divided by a particles momentum..

Hm..I don't know the detailed physics behind the actual transfer of energy...Maybe we haven't even been able to describe it yet...*shrug*

With great difficulty. Because photons are being destroyed, regular quantum mechanics won't work, and you have to use quantum field theory to do it properly. Dirac was the first person to work it out in a famous paper around the middle of the century.

As far as I can remember from my quantum mechanics classes to properly describe it you need to do things like qunatise the radiation field and use destruction and creation operators. It's fairly standard in quantum field theory I think. Probably the best way of looking at this particle wave thing is to realize that both descriptions are correct at the same time. Essentially though when you deal with this stuff you just end up using the wave-functions to do the hard number crunching.

...Maybe we haven't even been able to describe it yet.

So do you mean that it has not yet been found out...what the electrons are like...I know that they are like particles as well as like waves...

Originally posted by Stranger
So do you mean that it has not yet been found out...what the electrons are like...I know that they are like particles as well as like waves...

No, I meant that I didnt know whether or not we are able to describe what actually happens during photon interactions

1. What are electrons and photons?

Electrons are subatomic particles with a negative charge that orbit the nucleus of an atom. Photons are particles of light that have no mass and carry energy.

2. How do electrons absorb photons?

When a photon comes into contact with an electron, the electron absorbs the energy from the photon and moves to a higher energy state. This process is known as excitation.

3. What happens to electrons after they absorb photons?

After absorbing a photon and becoming excited, the electron will eventually release the energy and return to its original energy state. This process is known as de-excitation.

4. How does the energy of a photon affect the absorption by an electron?

The energy of a photon determines the type of energy level that the electron will be excited to. Higher energy photons are able to excite electrons to higher energy levels than lower energy photons.

5. Why is the absorption of photons by electrons important?

The absorption of photons by electrons is important because it allows for the transfer of energy in various processes, such as photosynthesis in plants and the functioning of solar cells. It also plays a crucial role in the behavior of matter and the formation of chemical bonds.