Proof about a limit property clarification

In summary, the book proves the limit theorem for convergent sequences (s_n) and (t_n), stating that if (s_n) converges to s and (t_n) converges to t, then (s_nt_n) converges to st. The proof involves using Theorem 9.1 to establish a constant M and selecting two different epsilon values, which may seem arbitrary but are necessary for the proof. However, there is a simpler way to prove this theorem by using the definition of convergence and showing that (s_nt_n) is less than epsilon.
bonfire09
The book proves this limit and I am a bit confused how all the pieces fit together.
So the book proves "If [itex](s_n)[/itex] converges to [itex]s[/itex] and [itex](t_n)[/itex] converges to [itex]t[/itex], then [itex](s_nt_n)[/itex] converges to [itex]st [/itex]. That is, [itex] lim(s_nt_n) = (lim s_n)(lim t_n)[/itex].

The proof goes like this
Let [itex] \epsilon> 0 [/itex] . By Theorem 9.1 there is a constant [itex] M > 0[/itex] such that
[itex]|s_n| ≤ M [/itex]for all [itex]n[/itex]. Since [itex]lim t_n = t[/itex] there exists [itex]N_1 [/itex] such that [itex]n > N1 [/itex] implies [itex]|t_n − t| <\epsilon/(2M) [/itex] Also, since [itex] lim s_n = s [/itex] there exists [itex]N_2 [/itex] such that [itex]n > N_2 [/itex]implies [itex]|s_n − s| < \epsilon/(2(|t| + 1)) [/itex] Then [itex]|s_nt_n − st| ≤ |s_n| · |t_n − t| + |t| · |s_n − s|
≤ M · (\epsilon/2M)+ |t| · (\epsilon/(2(|t| + 1))<\epsilon/2+\epsilon/2=\epsilon [/itex].

The part I do not understand about the proof is this jump in the inequality in the last step that is how is [itex]|s_n| · |t_n − t| + |t| · |s_n − s|≤ M · (\epsilon/(2M))+ |t| · (\epsilon/(2(|t| + 1))[/itex] instead of just less than?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry I had accidentally posted this post before I had completed it. So I made several changes to it but now its completed.

If your confusion is just in that you expect a [itex] < [/itex] and the book uses a [itex] \leq [/itex], then it's a simple observation that if [itex] a < b[/itex], it is certainly true that [itex] a\leq b[/itex], but maybe it would have been more consistent on the part of the author to use a strict inequality there

Oh yes I did forget to ask I also noticed that the author selects two different epsilon values that each limit that is the [itex]\epsilon/2M[/itex] and [itex] \epsilon/(2|t|+1).[/itex] that seem to be completely arbitrary. If I redid the proof and could I chose different values than the author? And also how does the author verify that [itex]M⋅\epsilon/2M+|t|⋅(ϵ/(2(|t|+1))<ϵ /(2)+ϵ /(2)[/itex]?. It seems that should require another proof on its own or is it just possible just by observation?

Last edited:
Well anyways I think I figured out a simpler way of doing this proof. By definition of convergence let [itex] \epsilon>0[/itex]. Since all convergent sequences are bounded there exists a real number call it [itex]M [/itex] such that [itex] M>0 \text{ and }\ |s_n| < M \text{ for all n } [/itex]. Since
[itex] lim t_n=t \text{ there exists }\ N_1 \text{ such that }\ n>N_1 \text{ implies } |t_n-t|< \frac{\epsilon}{2M}[/itex]. Similarly for [itex] lim s_n=s \text{ there exists} \ N_2 \text{ such that }\ n>N_2 \text{ implies } |s_n-s|< \frac{\epsilon}{2M}[/itex]. Thus we get [itex] |s_nt_n- st|≤|s_n|*|t_n-t|+|t|*|s_n-s|< M*\frac{\epsilon}{2M} + M*\frac{\epsilon}{2M}=\epsilon [/itex]. Hence [itex] lim s_nt_n=(lim s_n)(lim t_n)[/itex].

Last edited:

Related to Proof about a limit property clarification

1. What is a limit property?

A limit property is a mathematical rule or property that describes the behavior of a limit as it approaches a specific value. These properties help us to simplify and solve more complex limit problems.

2. Why is understanding limit properties important?

Understanding limit properties is important because they provide a framework for solving more complex limit problems. They also help us to better understand the behavior of functions and their limits.

3. What is the proof of a limit property?

The proof of a limit property involves using mathematical principles and definitions to show that the property is true. This often involves using algebraic manipulations and the definition of a limit to arrive at the desired result.

4. How can I use limit properties to solve limit problems?

Limit properties can be used to simplify and solve more complex limit problems by applying the relevant property to the given function. This can make the problem easier to solve and provide a more efficient way of finding the limit.

5. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when using limit properties?

One common mistake to avoid when using limit properties is assuming that all properties apply to every limit problem. It is important to carefully consider the given function and determine which property, if any, can be applied. It is also important to carefully follow the steps in the proof of the property to avoid errors.