Proof , a small square sign (figure) in latex

In summary, the conversation discusses how to add a small square at the end of a mathematical proof and how to change the word "proof" to a different language. The solution suggested is to find the code in the amsmath package and make changes there. Another suggestion is to use the command \Box, but the user is unsure if it fully meets their needs.
rayman123

Homework Statement

Hi! I am trying to figure out how to create a small square after a proof of some theorem or definition (normally all mathematical proofs are finished by adding a small sguare at the end of it) how do I fix it? It is normally placed on the right side..

Oh I found it
\begin{proof}
\end{proof}

but I have one more question. Can we change the word ''proof' somehow into a different language? We still want to have proof but expressed in different language, does anyone know how to change?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
rayman123 said:
but I have one more question. Can we change the word ''proof' somehow into a different language? We still want to have proof but expressed in different language, does anyone know how to change?

I believe the proof environment requires the amsmath package, so somewhere in the package files is coded the word "proof" and the \qed command that makes the box and all the formatting needed to make the environment. If you can find this (I couldn't, after a few minutes of searching, but I'm not familiar with the details of package files), you should be able to change the file.

I don't know if it is exactly what you want but try this:

[tex]\Box[/tex]

Click on it. Don't forget to capitalize it.

Related to Proof , a small square sign (figure) in latex

1. What is a "Proof" in LaTeX?

In LaTeX, a "Proof" is a small square sign (also known as a tombstone or Halmos symbol) that is commonly used to denote the end of a mathematical proof. It is usually placed at the end of a proof to indicate that the argument has been completed and the statement has been proven.

2. How do I insert a "Proof" sign in LaTeX?

To insert a "Proof" sign in LaTeX, you can use the command \qed at the end of your proof. This will automatically insert the small square sign at the end of the last line of your proof.

3. Can I change the color or size of the "Proof" sign in LaTeX?

Yes, you can change the color or size of the "Proof" sign in LaTeX by using the package amsthm and defining a new environment for your proofs. Within this environment, you can customize the style of the "Proof" sign using the \qedhere command.

4. Is there a way to add a custom "Proof" sign in LaTeX?

Yes, you can add a custom "Proof" sign in LaTeX by using the \renewcommand command. This allows you to redefine the \qed command and replace it with your own custom symbol or text.

5. Can I remove the "Proof" sign from a specific theorem in LaTeX?

Yes, you can remove the "Proof" sign from a specific theorem in LaTeX by using the proof environment and then using the \renewcommand command to redefine the \qed command as an empty space. This will effectively remove the "Proof" sign from that particular theorem.