Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Promotion

alane1994

Oct 16, 2012
Is there some way that I could promote this site? There seems to be very little outside traffic, which is fine as I like a tight knit community... but, I think that there should always be growth. Is there any way that I can assist in the growth process?

Jameson

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
Is there some way that I could promote this site? There seems to be very little outside traffic, which is fine as I like a tight knit community... but, I think that there should always be growth. Is there any way that I can assist in the growth process?
Hi alane1994,

I agree that slow traffic is our biggest problem and it's one I think about every day. We can't compete with other forums that have been line for 7+ years right now on Google no matter what we do or if we are better than them. High rankings have a lot of momentum since top searches get clicked on more which keeps that site highly ranked, and so on.

Right now some of the staff are working on a project to email graduate students, professors and math departments directly about MHB. We have two flyers that you can print off and hang, if you feel up to it. The one with the QR code needs to be fixed so I suggest using the other one that is just text. You can also like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter and/or mention us on your blog. If you can think of other ways I'd be interested to hear them but those are the standard free promotion tools that are most common.

Another thing to point out is that we aren't even a year old, but it feels like we are much older because lots of members have known each other on other sites for a while. We've already passed a couple of other math forums in traffic and in my opinion we are way ahead of others in design and attempts to make site use more efficient. So we must keep expectations and goals realistic for what we've had to work with.

I appreciate the question and the offer to help us out! You are at the right place to participate in an online community where we know who you are and read your comments seriously. :)

Jameson

alane1994

Oct 16, 2012
I printed the flyer off, and I will try to hang it up. But I can't guarantee how much traffic it will bring.(Smile)

Jameson

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
I printed the flyer off, and I will try to hang it up. But I can't guarantee how much traffic it will bring.(Smile)
That's much appreciated and if you feel truly adventurous hanging up 5 or more in different spots where students gather is what I do when I hang them. It won't have a measurable effect on traffic that you'll see at all so don't feel any pressure that it should. With ample time and maintaining our high standards for content and community, the internet will eventually notice.