Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Promoting MHB at other sites you administrate

• Admin

MarkFL

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 24, 2012
Hello MHB,

If you administrate other sites, here is a neat way to actively promote MHB there by placing a brightly colored box at the bottom of each page that contains a promotional message with a link to MHB, which forces the opening of a new tab so your users do not leave your site when clicking this link.

I administrate a freely hosted phpBB board, and so there is no access to the template files, however, under "Board Configuration" there is an option for "footer code" and into this I placed the following code at the top (above the other scripts you may have there):

Code:
<BR> <BR>

<div style="background-color:yellow; border:2px solid black; margin-left:25px; margin-right: 25px; padding-left: 5px; padding-right: 5px;padding-top: 5px;padding-bottom: 5px; border-radius: 10px; box-shadow: 3px 3px rgba(0,0,0,0.5)"><font color="blue"><center>Visit <a href="http://mathhelpboards.com" target="_blank"><b><font color="red"><u>Math Help Boards</u></font></b></a> for friendly, free and expert math help.</center></font> </div>
I also administrate a privately hosted phpBB board, and so in the overall_footer.html template file, I placed the code (shown in red):

Code:
</div>

<div id="page-footer">

<div class="navbar">
        <div class="inner"><span class="corners-top"><span></span></span>

<ul class="linklist">
            <li class="icon-home"><a href="{U_INDEX}" accesskey="h">{L_INDEX}</a></li>
                <!-- IF not S_IS_BOT -->
                    <!-- IF S_WATCH_FORUM_LINK --><li <!-- IF S_WATCHING_FORUM -->class="icon-unsubscribe"<!-- ELSE -->class="icon-subscribe"<!-- ENDIF -->><a href="{S_WATCH_FORUM_LINK}" title="{S_WATCH_FORUM_TITLE}">{S_WATCH_FORUM_TITLE}</a></li><!-- ENDIF -->
                    <!-- IF U_WATCH_TOPIC --><li <!-- IF S_WATCHING_TOPIC -->class="icon-unsubscribe"<!-- ELSE -->class="icon-subscribe"<!-- ENDIF -->><a href="{U_WATCH_TOPIC}" title="{L_WATCH_TOPIC}">{L_WATCH_TOPIC}</a></li><!-- ENDIF -->
                    <!-- IF U_BOOKMARK_TOPIC --><li class="icon-bookmark"><a href="{U_BOOKMARK_TOPIC}" title="{L_BOOKMARK_TOPIC}">{L_BOOKMARK_TOPIC}</a></li><!-- ENDIF -->
                    <!-- IF U_BUMP_TOPIC --><li class="icon-bump"><a href="{U_BUMP_TOPIC}" title="{L_BUMP_TOPIC}">{L_BUMP_TOPIC}</a></li><!-- ENDIF -->
                <!-- ENDIF -->
            <li class="rightside"><!-- IF U_TEAM --><a href="{U_TEAM}">{L_THE_TEAM}</a> • <!-- ENDIF --><!-- IF not S_IS_BOT --><a href="{U_DELETE_COOKIES}">{L_DELETE_COOKIES}</a> • <!-- ENDIF -->{S_TIMEZONE}</li>
        </ul>

<span class="corners-bottom"><span></span></span></div>
    </div>

[COLOR=#ff0000]<BR> <BR>

<div style="background-color:yellow; border:2px solid black; margin-left:25px; margin-right: 25px; padding-left: 5px; padding-right: 5px;padding-top: 5px;padding-bottom: 5px; border-radius: 10px; box-shadow: 3px 3px rgba(0,0,0,0.5)"><font color="blue"><center>Visit <a href="http://mathhelpboards.com" target="_blank"><b><font color="red"><u>Math Help Boards</u></font></b></a> for friendly, free and expert math help.</center></font> </div>

<BR> <BR>
[/COLOR]    
<!--
    We request you retain the full copyright notice below including the link to www.phpbb.com.
    This not only gives respect to the large amount of time given freely by the developers
    but also helps build interest, traffic and use of phpBB3. If you (honestly) cannot retain
    the full copyright we ask you at least leave in place the "Powered by phpBB" line, with
    "phpBB" linked to www.phpbb.com. If you refuse to include even this then support on our
    forums may be affected.

The phpBB Group : 2006
//-->

<div class="copyright">Powered by <a href="http://www.phpbb.com/">phpBB</a> © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
        <!-- IF TRANSLATION_INFO --><br />{TRANSLATION_INFO}<!-- ENDIF -->
        <!-- IF DEBUG_OUTPUT --><br />{DEBUG_OUTPUT}<!-- ENDIF -->
        <!-- IF U_ACP --><br /><strong><a href="{U_ACP}">{L_ACP}</a></strong><!-- ENDIF -->
    </div>
</div>

</div>

<div>
    <a id="bottom" name="bottom" accesskey="z"></a>
    <!-- IF not S_IS_BOT -->{RUN_CRON_TASK}<!-- ENDIF -->
</div>

</body>
</html>
Now, on a vBulletin board, you can put the code:

Code:
<BR> <BR>

<BR> <BR>
In the footer template, at the very top.

This code can easily be edited to suit your tastes for colors, border, margins, etc.

This is what it looks like at the first site I mentioned:

footer.png

• Admin

MarkFL

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 24, 2012
I just discovered the "border-radius" attribute, and so I used this to created rounded corners for the box. I have edited the codes in my first post to include this, and this is what it looks like now:

footer2.png

edit: Next, I discovered the "box-shadow" attribute, and so now it looks like:

footer3.png