Chemistry Help: Element Symbols & Names

In summary, the conversation was about a person seeking help with chemistry, specifically in remembering how to write element symbols. The conversation included information about prefixes and suffixes used in naming molecules and the general formula for saturated hydrocarbons. The conversation also clarified that hydrocarbons are molecules, not elements, and therefore do not have a symbol or appear on the periodic table.
gigi9
Chemistry help please!

I took Chem. 2 yrs ago, don't remember much from it. Next yr, I'm planning to take AP Chem. so I have to do Summer HW. I know that H is the symbol of Hydrogen, C is Carbon.Can someone please help me how to figure out how to write element symbol, for example how to write element symbol of hydrocarbon? Or is there a website that can help me remember how to write an element SYMBOL when you know the name of the element and vice versa. Thank you very much.

Biology news on Phys.org
Well, hmmm...same common ones, I am sure you can find around, but a universal name to symbol converter...I doubt such a thing exists. (there are almost an infinite number of possible carbon moleculces out there).

I can tell you the basic (what I remember)
Prefixes = 1C = Meth, 2C = Eth, 3C = Prop, 4C = But, 5C = Pent, 6C = Hex, Hep?, Oct, ...hmmm 9, dunno...
Suffixes = single bond -ane, double bond -ene, triple bond -yne.

So Ethyne is two carbon atoms, connected by a triple bond.
Propene is 3 carbons, with one double bond between two of the carbon atoms...etc

Keeping in mind that each C atom has 4 bonds available, you can then easily figure out how many H atoms can attach...

Is this what you wanted?
(There are tons more naming rules, which I am sure Chemical Super Freak or Boulder Head should be able to help you with. They relate to alcohols, Acetyl groups, Carboxyl groups... methanals, methanols ...all sorts of strange set ups.)

Umm, hydrocarbons are molecules, not elements. So they don't have a symbol or appear on the periodic table. If you're looking for the general formula for saturated hydrocarbons it's CnH(2n+2). Where n is a non-zero integer.

1. What are the basic rules for writing element symbols?

The element symbols are one or two letters that represent the name of an element. The first letter of the symbol is always capitalized, and if there is a second letter, it is always lowercase. For example, the symbol for carbon is C and the symbol for chlorine is Cl.

2. How are element names and symbols related to each other?

The element symbols are derived from the element names, but they are not always the same. Sometimes the symbol is based on the English or Latin name of the element, while other times it is based on the element's atomic number or a combination of letters from its name. For example, the symbol for sodium is Na, which comes from its Latin name, natrium.

3. Are there any elements that do not follow the basic rules for writing symbols?

Yes, there are a few exceptions to the rule. The element symbols for some elements are based on their old names or their properties. For example, the symbol for iron is Fe, which comes from its Latin name, ferrum. The symbol for mercury is Hg, which comes from its old name, hydrargyrum, meaning "liquid silver."

4. How many elements have symbols that do not match their English names?

Out of the 118 known elements, only 14 have symbols that do not match their English names. This is due to historical reasons or to avoid confusion with other elements. For example, the symbol for potassium is K, which comes from its Latin name, kalium, to avoid confusion with the symbol for carbon, C.

5. Are there any elements with symbols that are not derived from their names at all?

Yes, there are a few elements that have symbols that are not based on their names. These symbols are based on their properties or the origin of their discovery. For example, the symbol for tungsten is W, which comes from its old name, wolfram, meaning "wolf's foam." The symbol for lead is Pb, which comes from its Latin name, plumbum, meaning "liquid silver."