Projection of surface area elements in vector calculus

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the normal, n, at a point on the surface S1 and using it to relate the size of the area element at that point to its projection on the xy-plane. The solution involves calculating the gradient and using the normal vector to find the projection, with the correct normalization factor.
jj364

Homework Statement

(i) Find the normal, n, at a general point on the surface S1 given by; x2+y2+z = 1 and z > 0.

(ii) Use n to relate the size dS of the area element at a point on the surface S1 to its
projection dxdy in the xy-plane.

The Attempt at a Solution

To find n initially I have just done the grad giving 2x,2y,1

Then with the projection of the surface element I have done that dS=[itex]\hat{n}[/itex]dS and in this case because it is the xy plane it is just in the [itex]\hat{k}[/itex] direction.

[itex]\hat{n}[/itex]=[itex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{1+4x+4y}}[/itex]

and so I thought dxdy=[itex]\frac{dS}{\sqrt{1+4x+4y}}[/itex]

I'm really not sure about this so and pointers would be a great help, thanks.

Also, sorry about the poor LaTeX!

Physics news on Phys.org
jj364 said:
Then with the projection of the surface element I have done that dS=[itex]\hat{n}[/itex]dS and in this case because it is the xy plane it is just in the [itex]\hat{k}[/itex] direction.
I think I'm following you here, but I'm not sure what your two "it"s are referring to.

[itex]\hat{n}[/itex]=[itex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{1+4x+4y}}[/itex]

This is just the k-component of ##\hat{n}##, right?
Check your normalization factor here, it's not quite correct.
Otherwise, I think you're on the right track.

Yes sorry, wasn't being very clear, I did mean the k component of n hat there yes. Ok I see the problem with the normalisation factor there, should be 4x2 and 4y2, thank you very much!

Related to Projection of surface area elements in vector calculus

What is the definition of surface area in vector calculus?

In vector calculus, surface area refers to the measure of the two-dimensional region of a curved surface. It is calculated by finding the sum of the areas of infinitesimal elements on the surface.

What is the significance of projection of surface area elements in vector calculus?

The projection of surface area elements in vector calculus is important because it allows us to calculate the surface area of curved objects, which cannot be measured using traditional methods. It also helps in solving various physical and mathematical problems involving surfaces.

How is the projection of surface area elements calculated?

The projection of surface area elements is calculated by taking the dot product of the surface normal vector and the vector representing the element's area. This dot product results in a scalar value, which is then integrated over the surface to find the total surface area.

What are some real-life applications of the projection of surface area elements in vector calculus?

The projection of surface area elements has various applications in fields such as engineering, physics, and computer graphics. It is used to calculate the surface area of 3D objects, determine the flux of a vector field across a surface, and in computer graphics, it is used to render realistic 3D images of objects with curved surfaces.

Are there any limitations to using the projection of surface area elements in vector calculus?

Yes, the projection of surface area elements can only be used for smooth surfaces, and it assumes that the surface is continuous and does not have any holes or gaps. It also requires knowledge of vector calculus and integration techniques, which can be challenging for some individuals.