Projectiles in Air: Is Under Spin Enough to Rise?

In summary, it is theoretically possible to get a round bullet to rise if shot horizontally with underspin, but it would be difficult to achieve due to the high density of the bullet. However, it is easier to achieve with lighter projectiles such as ping pong balls. The literature suggests that backspin for dimpled golf balls can produce enough lift to cause the ball to rise, and this concept can be extended to the question of a bullet with underspin. Additionally, the use of smart rounds that can alter their path in flight could also potentially achieve this effect.
pgardn
Is it theoretically possible to get a round bullet to rise if shot horizontally provided the bullet ( projectile) is given "under spin"?

Physics news on Phys.org
That's more of a golf ball dimple backspin type question, isn't it? :)

How about a round hollow bullet made of some light alloy and dimpled then? But shot from a rifle giving it underspin.

Could it be done?

Could it, anywhere in its flight, get higher than the vertical height it was shot at, even if just for a moment and barely higher?

pgardn said:
How about a round hollow bullet made of some light alloy and dimpled then? But shot from a rifle giving it underspin.

Could it be done?

What does the literature say about backspin for dimpled golf balls? Does it produce lift? Enough lift to just partially retard normal gravitational drop, or enough to actually cause the ball to rise? How can you extend that to your question?

Also,, have you read about the new smart rounds? They can alter their path in flight...

berkeman said:
What does the literature say about backspin for dimpled golf balls? Does it produce lift? Enough lift to just partially retard normal gravitational drop, or enough to actually cause the ball to rise? How can you extend that to your question?

I have accomplished this with a ping pong ball. Striking it with a rat trap lifting off a horizontal table. I hit the ball below the center of course.
I have a friend who says it's impossible. I say it's possible with air, that he is thinking of the bullet dropped from the same height it was shot at horizontally hitting the ground at the same time, flat Earth, air resistance and lift be damned.

So I said yes because I've done it. He says no way.

Done it with a ping pong ball that is.

Read about the smart bullets.

I am going to assume if they can change directions (guided) that the certainly could go up for a short distance.
It must involve in shape thus a change in air flow if the can guide a projectile? I'm guessing?

Sure, it's absolutely possible. A spinning sphere or cylinder produces an aerodynamic force perpendicular to the travel direction, which could cause it to rise (if the force is larger than the weight of the projectile). It would be difficult to achieve with a bullet due to the high density, but it would be pretty easy with a ping pong ball.

Related to Projectiles in Air: Is Under Spin Enough to Rise?

1. What is a projectile?

A projectile is an object that is launched into the air and moves along a curved path due to the force of gravity acting upon it.

2. How does under spin affect the trajectory of a projectile?

Under spin, also known as backspin, causes the projectile to spin in the opposite direction of its motion. This creates a lift force that can help the projectile to rise and travel further.

3. Is under spin enough to make a projectile rise?

Under spin alone is not enough to make a projectile rise. While it does create lift, the force of gravity still acts upon the projectile and causes it to eventually fall back down.

4. What other factors besides under spin affect the trajectory of a projectile?

Other factors that can affect the trajectory of a projectile include air resistance, launch angle, initial velocity, and the shape and weight of the projectile.

5. How can the trajectory of a projectile be calculated?

The trajectory of a projectile can be calculated using mathematical equations that take into account the initial velocity, angle of launch, and force of gravity. Advanced computer simulations can also be used to accurately predict the trajectory of a projectile.