Projectiles: Hitting x and y with initial height given.

In summary, the OP is asking if it is possible to calculate the angle of projection for a projectile given its horizontal and vertical distance from the starting point as well as its height.
david_19
Hi, we can determine the velocity to hit x and y point with angle of projection given. but can we do the same if the initial height of projection is given?

Physics news on Phys.org
I assume you mean that you know the target's horizontal and vertical distance away from the projectile's starting point, as well as the height of the projectile, but you do NOT know the projectile's initial velocity or angle of trajectory. Is that correct?

As long as you can ignore the drag, any problem of aiming a projectile can be reduced to a set of quadratic equations, so you can always find whatever missing information that you need.

K^2 said:
As long as you can ignore the drag, any problem of aiming a projectile can be reduced to a set of quadratic equations, so you can always find whatever missing information that you need.

That's not entirely true. You can find the missing information if your given enough information. Suppose I told you it took 5 seconds for a projectile to hit a target. That is not enough information to tell me it's initial velocity, angle of projection, or distance.

Or suppose I told you a target is 500 yards away. Can you tell me what angle I fired a projectile in order to hit it? No. You need more information like, say, the initial velocity. There are an infinite number of different velocities that I can fire a projectile and still hit my target, as long as I adjust the angle appropriately. Of course, there is a minimum velocity for any given distance.

Well, of course. You might as well point out that if you don't know anything about the problem, you don't know anything about the problem.

K^2 said:
Well, of course. You might as well point out that if you don't know anything about the problem, you don't know anything about the problem.

The point is that you can't necessarily find "whatever information you need" given any problem, which is what you said in your first post.

You can always find a closed-form expression. That's the important bit. The fact that the expression might have unknowns in it seemed obvious enough to not require further clarification.

So while I'll give you that my formulation may be fuzzy, I stand by my statement.

K^2 said:
The fact that the expression might have unknowns in it seemed obvious enough to not require further clarification.

While that may be obvious to some, it may not be obvious for all, which is why I pointed it out.

In the case of the OP, he is not even sure if you can quantitatively determine the angle of trajectory ("angle of projection," is actually what he said). By reading your post, he may think that it doesn't matter what's missing in a projectile-type problem, as long as you know something, you can figure out the rest.

Which, as I've pointed out more clearly, is NOT true.

Yes, you can write equations, for any projectile/trajectory problem without knowing any of the actual values, but that statement doesn't help the OP. You might as well have told him that apples grow on trees. It's a moot point.

Related to Projectiles: Hitting x and y with initial height given.

1. What is a projectile?

A projectile is an object that is launched into the air and moves along a curved path due to the force of gravity.

2. How do you calculate the initial height of a projectile?

The initial height of a projectile can be calculated by measuring the vertical distance between the launch point and the ground.

3. What is the formula for calculating the horizontal distance of a projectile?

The formula for calculating the horizontal distance of a projectile is d = v0t, where d is the distance, v0 is the initial velocity, and t is the time.

4. How does air resistance affect a projectile's trajectory?

Air resistance can slow down a projectile and cause it to deviate from its expected trajectory. This is why projectiles launched at the same angle and with the same initial velocity may not land at the same point.

5. What is the maximum height a projectile can reach?

The maximum height a projectile can reach is equal to the initial height. This occurs when the projectile has reached its peak and is about to start falling back down.