Projectile with friction on an inclined plane

In summary, the problem involves a 2.0 kg wood block launched up a wooden ramp inclined at a 35* angle with an initial speed of 10m/s. The question asks for the vertical height reached by the block and the speed at which it slides back down to its starting point. To solve for the vertical height, we use the equation Vf^2 = Vi^2 + 2a (deltaY) and find the value of a by calculating the net force (Flaunch - Fk) and dividing it by the mass. To simplify the problem, it is recommended to resolve velocities and forces parallel and perpendicular to the ramp. Using this approach, the answer for the
kraaaaamos
Projectile motion with friction on an inclined plane -- PLEASE HELP!

Homework Statement

A 2.0 kg wood block is launched up a wooden ramp that is inclined at a 35* angle. The block’s initial speed is 10m/s. (Given that μk = 0.20)

a. What vertical height does the block reach above its starting point?
b. What speed does it have when it slides back down to its starting point?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

FOR PART A:

I know that initial velocity (y component) is Vi = Vi sin theta
= 10 sin 35
= 5.73m/s
I know we use the equation:
Vf^2 = Vi^2 + 2a (deltaY)

So we need the value of a . . .

Fnet = ma, but we need to knwo the value of Fnet
Fnet = Flaunch - Fk?
We know that Fk = coeff (m)(g)
= 0.2 (2)(-9.8)
= -3.92N
Do we need to find teh value of the force of the launch?

I assumed that the value of the launch can be divided into the x-component and the y-component

vi(x) = Vicos theta
= 10 cos 35
= 8.19 m/s
vi(y) = Vi sin theta
= 10 sin 35
= 5.73 m/s

and if we plug in those values to get their overall magnitude

sqrt ( vi(y)^2 + vi(x)^2 )
sqrt [ (8.19)^2 + (5.73)^2 ]
sqrt [ 67.1 + 32.9]
sqrt (100)
= 10

Flaunch = 10 ( mass)
= 10 (2)
= 20N

Fnet = 20 - 3.92
= 16.08

Fnet = ma
16.08 = (2)a
a = 8.04 m/s2

Vf(y)^2 = Vi(y)^2 + 2(ay)(deltaY)
0^2 = 5.73^2 + 2 (-8.04)(deltay)
-32.8 = -16.08 (deltaY)
deltaY = 2.04m <<< FINAL ANSWER...

is that corect? Everything from the point where I suggested that Fnet = Flaunch - Fk . . . was something I deduced on my own. So I have no idea if it even makes sense.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Instead of taking velocity component, take the component of weight along the inclined plane. When the block is going up Fnet = component of weight + Fk. If you want to launch the block up the inclined plane you have to do work against this force. Work done = Fnet X distance moved along the inclined plane. From that you can find the height. When the block is moving down, Fnet = Component of weight -Fk.
While going up work done = loss of KE
While going down work done = gain in KE

Last edited:
It is simpler to resolve velocities and forces parallel and perpendicular to the ramp rather than horizontal and vertical.

Reason: the block moves parallel to the ramp; the normal force (required to calculate the frictional force) is perpendicular to the ramp.

Using this approach I get this expression for the answer to a
[tex]\frac{10^{2}tan35}{2g(sin35 + 0.2cos35}[/tex]

Related to Projectile with friction on an inclined plane

1. What is a projectile with friction on an inclined plane?

A projectile with friction on an inclined plane is a physical scenario where an object is launched from a certain point on an inclined plane and experiences the effects of friction as it moves along the plane. This can be seen in real-life situations such as a ball rolling down a hill or a car driving up a ramp.

2. How does friction affect the motion of a projectile on an inclined plane?

Friction on an inclined plane acts in the opposite direction of the motion of the projectile, causing it to slow down and eventually come to a stop. This is due to the force of friction, which is directly proportional to the weight of the object and the coefficient of friction between the object and the surface of the inclined plane.

3. How is the motion of a projectile on an inclined plane calculated?

The motion of a projectile on an inclined plane can be calculated using the principles of projectile motion and the laws of motion. The initial velocity, angle of launch, and acceleration due to gravity are all factors that must be taken into account when calculating the position, velocity, and acceleration of the projectile at any given time.

4. What are some real-life applications of a projectile with friction on an inclined plane?

One common real-life application of a projectile with friction on an inclined plane is in sports, such as skiing or snowboarding, where athletes must navigate down a sloped surface while also accounting for the effects of friction. This scenario is also relevant in engineering, where objects may need to be launched and move along a ramp or inclined plane.

5. How can the motion of a projectile on an inclined plane be optimized?

The motion of a projectile on an inclined plane can be optimized by adjusting the angle of the incline, the coefficient of friction, and the initial velocity of the projectile. By finding the right combination of these factors, the projectile can travel the furthest distance or reach the desired end point with the least amount of time or energy expenditure.