Projectile trajectory - Trebuchet

In summary, a group of students have made a trebuchet for a projectile trajectory assignment. They have done some measurements and obtained correct results, but the theory gives them a strange result. They wanted to calculate the velocity of their projectile, but the value they got (277 m/s) is impossible based on the distance traveled (20 meters). They tried using a formula and using different variables, but still got a high velocity. They also attempted a different approach by calculating the gravitational and kinetic energies, but were unsure if it was a correct method. They then used a calculator and got a different answer (40.5 m/s). They are still unsure of what they did wrong and are seeking help to solve the problem.
Ruddie

Homework Statement

Hello, I have an issue regarding projectile trajectory.
As an assigment we have made a trebuchet, which is basically a catapult with a sling attached to it.

We have done some measurements with the trebuchet itself, and have actually achievement some (according to us) correct results. The theory however, gave us a strange result.

We decided we wanted to know the velocity of our projectile (which should have been easy..)

Which we determined ourself, and confirmed using wikipedia.

The velocity we received from calculating this ( see 3 ) was approx 277 m/s. Which of course, is impossible since our projectile traveled only 20 meters and did not reach it's destination that fast, what did we do wrong?

We assumed we shot approx. at 45 degrees, making alpha = 45.
The distance traveled was 20 meters, making d = 20.
The g is the gravitational force, since we were testing on our own planet g = 9.81.
y_0 is the height we shot the projectile from, in our case this was 80 cm, making y_0 = 0.80.

Homework Equations

We used this formula:
d = v*cos(alpha)/g * ( v*sin (alpha) + sqrt((v*sin(alpha))^2+2*g*y_0) )

The Attempt at a Solution

Using the above variables.. we calculated the velocity like this:

20 = v*cos(45)/9.81 * ( v*sin ( 45 ) + sqrt((v*sin(45))^2+2*9.81*0.8) )
20 = v*cos(45)*v*sin(45)/9.81 + v*cos(45)sqrt((v*sin(45))^2+2*9.81*0.8)/9.81

Where..
cos(45) = sin(45) = .5sqrt(2)
This gives us:

20 = 0.5*v^2/9.81 + .5*v*sqrt(2)*sqrt(.5*v^2+15,696)/9.81

20^2 = (0.5*v^2/9.81)^2 + (0.5*v*sqrt(2)*sqrt(.5*v^2+15,696)/9.81)^2
400 = .25*v^4/9.81^2 + .5*v^2*(.5*v^2+15.696)/9.81^2
400 = .5*v^4+7.848v^2/9.81^2

.5*v^4 + 7.848*v^2 = 38494.44
v^4+15.696v^2 = 76988.88
v^2(v^2+15.696) = 76988.88

v^2 = 76988.88 OR v^2 + 15.696 = 76988.88
v = 277.47 OR v^2 = 76973.184

v = 277.47 OR v = 277.44Thanks in Advance for checking out my problem.

p.s. I just figured this might have fitted better in the Advanced Physics part?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Okay, so I took my calculator, and used it to calculate the answer instead..
This however, gave me a different answer:
v = 40,5 m/s

This still seems a bit high, and strangly I can't figure out what I did wrong.

As a different approach, I tried calculating it without the distance (since this would also be part of the theory of the assigment)

The variables used here are:
mass counterweight (gravitational energy) = 2.0 kg
mass projectile (kinetic energy) = 11 grams = 0.011 kg

Distance point of rotation -> counterweight = 0.25 m
Distance point of rotation -> projectile = 0.75m + 0.5m sling = 1.25 m
Distance the counterweight falls before the projectile is released: approx. 0.5m

Equations
Egrav = mgh
Ekin = .5mv^2

M = F*r (??)

Attempts..
Egrav = 2.0 * 9.81 * 0.5
Egrav = 9.81 Joule

Now, here is the problem, I am not sure if I am allowed to do this:
Ekin*1.25 = Egrav*0.25
Ekin = 1.962 J

1.962 = 0.5 * 0.011 * v^2
v = 18.89 m/s

This however, seems like an answer that can very well be correct - I am just not certain if this is a correct way of calculating it.

Related to Projectile trajectory - Trebuchet

What is a trebuchet?

A trebuchet is a type of medieval siege weapon used to launch projectiles such as rocks or other objects. It consists of a long arm attached to a pivot point, with a counterweight on one end and a sling on the other. When the counterweight is released, it causes the arm to swing and launch the projectile.

How does a trebuchet work?

A trebuchet works by using the principles of potential and kinetic energy. The counterweight stores potential energy, which is then converted into kinetic energy when it is released. This causes the arm to swing and launch the projectile with great force and distance.

What factors affect the trajectory of a projectile launched from a trebuchet?

The trajectory of a projectile launched from a trebuchet is affected by several factors, including the weight and size of the projectile, the length of the arm, the amount of weight in the counterweight, and the angle at which the arm is released. Wind and other environmental factors can also play a role.

How do you calculate the trajectory of a projectile launched from a trebuchet?

To calculate the trajectory of a projectile launched from a trebuchet, you will need to know the initial velocity, angle of launch, and the acceleration due to gravity. Using these values, you can use equations and mathematical formulas to determine the trajectory of the projectile.

What are some practical applications of studying projectile trajectory and trebuchets?

Studying projectile trajectory and trebuchets can have several practical applications. It can be used in the design and construction of modern-day catapults and other launching devices. It can also be helpful in understanding the physics of projectiles and how they behave in different situations, which can have applications in fields such as engineering and ballistics.