Projectile Subject to Quadratic Air Resistance

In summary, the problem involves a projectile subject to quadratic air resistance and the task is to find the equation of motion for the upward motion and solve for the velocity as a function of time. The first attempt at the solution involved setting up the differential equation m dv/dt = mg - cv^2, but there was a mistake in the sign which led to incorrect results. Correcting the sign and integrating both sides of the equation, the final solution for the velocity as a function of time was determined to be v(t) = vtertanh((gt/vter) + arctanh(v0/vter)). This was then used to solve for the time to reach the top of the trajectory, which is ttop = (vter
Yosty22

Homework Statement

A projectile that is subject to quadratic air resistance is thrown vertically up with initial speed v0.

(a): Write down the equation of motion for the upward motion and solve it to give v as a function of t.
(b): Show that the time to reach th top of the trajectory is ttop = (vter/g)arctan(v0/vter.

Homework Equations

ma = -cv2

The Attempt at a Solution

I think I may have done something wrong with part a which is leading me astray for part b.

Part (a):

m dv/dt = mg - cv2
vter occurs when mg = cv2
vter = sqrt (mg / c)
solving for c, I get: c = (mg / (vter)2)
Putting this back into my differential equation and cancelling the mass out:
dv/dt = g(1 - (v2 / vter2))
Integrating both sides, I get:
gt = vterarctanh(v/vter) - vterarctanh(v0/vter)

solving for v as a function of t, I get:

v(t) = vtertanh((gt/vter) + arctanh(v0/vter))

Therefore, for part b, when it is at the top of its flight, v(t) = 0. Substituting in the zero and solving for t, I get:

(vter/g)arctanh(v0/vter)

As you can see, this is almost what the correct answer is, except it should be a function of the inverse tangent of v0 / vter, NOT the inverse hyperbolictangent.

Any ideas where I went wrong or what I am missing here?

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yosty22 said:
m dv/dt = mg - cv2
vter occurs when mg = cv2
Be careful with the signs. Strictly speaking, the quadratic drag equation (omitting gravity for now) is m dv/dt = -kv.|v|. This arranges that the drag always opposes the motion.
Alternatively, to eliminate the modulus sign, use different equations for the upward and downward phases.
If we take up as positive and g as therefore having a negative value, the upward equation is as you wrote above, but you'll need the downward equation to get terminal velocity.

Ok, that makes sense, but I am a little confused as to how to create another differential equation for the downward equation. Would I just flip the sign and make it -mg-cv 2 ? The only thing I can think of is to make g negative and keep cv 2 negative since drag always opposes motion. Is that the right idea?

For solving (a) and (b), you just need the equation for upward motion, which is:
[tex]
m\frac{dv}{dt} = -mg - cv^2
[/tex]
if the upwards direction is considered positive.

Your procedure from that point on is fine until you try to solve the first order ODE. It would be very helpful (to me at least) if you could show, in detail, how you go about it.

milesyoung said:
For solving (a) and (b), you just need the equation for upward motion,
Except that (b) involves "vter", for which you need to consider the downward motion.
which is:
[tex]
m\frac{dv}{dt} = -mg - cv^2
[/tex]
if the upwards direction is considered positive.
It depends how you define 'g'. My preference is that it is the acceleration due to gravity as a signed quantity, so the upward equation is ##m\frac{dv}{dt} = mg - cv^2##, and the downward is ##m\frac{dv}{dt} = mg + cv^2##, where g has a negative value.

haruspex said:
Except that (b) involves "vter", for which you need to consider the downward motion.

It depends how you define 'g'. My preference is that it is the acceleration due to gravity as a signed quantity, so the upward equation is ##m\frac{dv}{dt} = mg - cv^2##, and the downward is ##m\frac{dv}{dt} = mg + cv^2##, where g has a negative value.
I might have went over the finer points a bit too quickly here. I considered 'g' a positive constant, since that was consistent with the solution given, but I shouldn't impose that on the OP.

I also took vter to mean the magnitude of the terminal velocity.

Got it! Thanks for all of the help! It ended up working out when I fixed the sign issue so that the differential equation represents the upward motion rather than the downward motion. Thank you for all of your help!

Related to Projectile Subject to Quadratic Air Resistance

1. What is a projectile subject to quadratic air resistance?

A projectile subject to quadratic air resistance is an object that is launched into the air and experiences air resistance, which is a force that opposes its motion. The resistance is proportional to the square of the object's velocity, hence the term "quadratic". This type of projectile is often used in physics experiments and simulations.

2. How is the motion of a projectile subject to quadratic air resistance different from a projectile with no air resistance?

The motion of a projectile subject to quadratic air resistance is different from a projectile with no air resistance because the air resistance slows down the object's acceleration, causing it to have a curved trajectory rather than a straight line. This can also affect the object's maximum height and range.

3. What factors affect the trajectory of a projectile subject to quadratic air resistance?

The factors that affect the trajectory of a projectile subject to quadratic air resistance include the initial velocity of the object, the angle at which it is launched, the object's mass, and the air resistance coefficient. These factors can be manipulated to determine the path of the projectile.

4. How is the air resistance coefficient determined for a projectile subject to quadratic air resistance?

The air resistance coefficient for a projectile subject to quadratic air resistance can be determined through experiments or simulations. By measuring the object's motion at different velocities and angles, the coefficient can be calculated using mathematical equations and data analysis.

5. How is the motion of a projectile subject to quadratic air resistance calculated?

The motion of a projectile subject to quadratic air resistance can be calculated using equations of motion, which take into account the object's initial velocity, angle of launch, air resistance coefficient, and other factors. These equations can then be solved using numerical methods or computer simulations to determine the object's trajectory and other motion characteristics.