Projectile Range and Height

In summary, the launch angle of the projectile can be found using energy conservation by setting the initial kinetic energy equal to the sum of the final kinetic and potential energies. Simplifying the equation yields a launch angle of 69 degrees.
hawkeye1029

Homework Statement

At 0.5 of its maximum height, the speed of a projectile is 0.75 of its initial speed. What was its launch angle?

Homework Equations

Not sure here, but:
v^2 - vo^2 = 2as [maximum height]
Ay = Asin(theta) [y-component]

The Attempt at a Solution

I didn't get very far, but:
vo = vo
v = 0.75 vo

0.75vo^2 - vo^2 = (2)(-9.8)s
-0.25vo^2 = -19.6s
vo^2 = 784s

I'm stuck from here on, should I try to find the y-component for this?
[Also I'm an almost total beginner at Physics, excuse me if I'm totally wrong].

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks everyone!

Physics news on Phys.org
I thought about it a little more:

x-component : [v0^2/g]sin(theta)
y-component : vo sin(theta)

(theta) = tan^-1 [vo sin(theta)] / [vo^2/9.8 sin (theta)]
(theta) = tan^-1 (9.8/vo)

Is this headed in the right direction? If so, what would I substitute in for vo? If not, any tips?
Thanks!

Oh wait I think it would be best to use energy conservation.

0.5 mv^2 = 0.5m(0.75v)62 + 0.5mgh
and then
0.5 mv^2 = 0.5 m(v cos theta)^2 + 7/16(mv^2)
and simplify to get theta = 69 degrees

Is this correct?

hawkeye1029 said:
Oh wait I think it would be best to use energy conservation.

0.5 mv^2 = 0.5m(0.75v)62 + 0.5mgh
and then
0.5 mv^2 = 0.5 m(v cos theta)^2 + 7/16(mv^2)
and simplify to get theta = 69 degrees

Is this correct?

I got the same value for θ0 (but I don't really understand your way to find it). So I think the answer is correct, but the calculation is confusing.

1. What is projectile range and height?

Projectile range and height refer to the distance and height that an object travels when launched or thrown at an angle.

2. How is projectile range and height calculated?

Projectile range and height can be calculated using the equations: Range = (Initial Velocity)^2 * sin(2*Angle)/Gravity and Height = (Initial Velocity)^2 * sin^2(Angle)/2*Gravity, where Initial Velocity is the speed at which the object is launched, Angle is the angle at which it is launched, and Gravity is the acceleration due to gravity.

3. How does air resistance affect projectile range and height?

Air resistance can decrease the range and height of a projectile by slowing down its velocity and reducing its upward trajectory. This is because air resistance creates a force that acts opposite to the direction of the projectile's motion, causing it to lose energy and fall to the ground sooner.

4. What factors affect projectile range and height?

The factors that affect projectile range and height include initial velocity, launch angle, mass and shape of the object, air resistance, and the force of gravity. These factors can be manipulated to change the range and height of a projectile.

5. What are some real-life applications of projectile range and height?

Projectile range and height have many real-life applications, such as in sports, military operations, and space exploration. For example, in sports like basketball and baseball, players use projectile motion to make accurate shots. In the military, projectile range and height are crucial for determining the trajectory of missiles and projectiles. And in space exploration, understanding projectile motion is essential for launching and guiding spacecraft.