Projectile problem with no angles

In summary, a projectile is fired horizontally from a gun with a muzzle velocity of 235 m/s and a height of 53.0 m above flat ground. The question is how long the projectile remains in the air. The initial angle is 0 degrees, meaning it falls out of "rest" downwards.
bearhug
A projectile is fired horizontally from a gun that is 53.0 m above flat ground. The muzzle velocity is 235 m/s. How long does the projectile remain in the air?

All of the practice problems in my book are given an angle to work with. For some reason I'm having a hard time starting this problem because I'm under the impression that I need to find an angle but I feel like I don't have enough information. Any help to point me in the right direction is greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
you still have an initial angle. It is just 0 degrees from the horizontal axis.

Which means it is falling out of "rest" downwards.

Related to Projectile problem with no angles

1. What is a projectile problem with no angles?

A projectile problem with no angles refers to a physics problem involving the motion of an object that is launched into the air, with no initial angle or direction given. This means that the object will follow a straight path and its motion will only be affected by the force of gravity.

2. How do you solve a projectile problem with no angles?

To solve a projectile problem with no angles, you need to use the equations of motion for projectiles. These equations include the initial velocity, time, and acceleration due to gravity. You can also use the conservation of energy principle to solve these types of problems.

3. What are the key concepts to understand when solving a projectile problem with no angles?

The key concepts to understand when solving a projectile problem with no angles include the equations of motion, the concept of acceleration due to gravity, and the conservation of energy principle. It is also important to understand how to break down the problem into smaller parts, such as finding the initial velocity and time.

4. Can a projectile problem with no angles have multiple solutions?

Yes, a projectile problem with no angles can have multiple solutions. This is because there are multiple combinations of initial velocity and time that can result in the same final position. However, there is always a unique solution that satisfies all the given conditions of the problem.

5. How does air resistance affect a projectile problem with no angles?

In a projectile problem with no angles, air resistance is typically ignored. This is because the problem assumes that the object is moving through a vacuum, without any external forces acting on it. However, in real-life situations with air resistance, the motion of the object will be affected and the problem becomes more complex.