Projectile Problem - Arrow and Target

• Thread starter thaixicedxtea
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Projectile
In summary, you need to shoot an arrow with a horizontal velocity of 33 m/s and an angle of 58 degrees in order to pass through target 1 and land on target 2.
thaixicedxtea

Homework Statement

Target #1 and Target #2 are placed as shown. The one on top is made of paper so that an object hitting it will pass right through without its motion being disturbed. At what velocity and angle must you shoot an arrow so that it will pass through target #1 and land on target #2? Assume that the launch and land heights are the same.

[URL=http://img296.imageshack.us/my.php?image=21453445op0.jpg][PLAIN]http://img296.imageshack.us/img296/232/21453445op0.th.jpg[/URL]http://g.imageshack.us/thpix.php [/PLAIN]

Homework Equations

Range equation is Vo^2 sin 2θ / g
horizontal velocity = Vo cos θ
vertical velocity - Vo sin θ

That's all I can think of!

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm thinking that the horizontal velocity is the range, but I can't even get the range since I don't have Vo and θ. I usually find vertical and horizontal components, but I don't have Vo and θ. Is the distance from the arrow to target #2 (100 m) the range, since it's X? I'm really not sure how to approach this problem, and projectile motion isn't my cup of tea...
Would you use trig to find horizontal velocity since you have distance half the trip in the air and the height from the first target to the floor?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
HINTS:

(a) What is the required maximum height so that the arrow hits the first target?

(b) What is the required range so that the arrow hits the second target?

Don't worry you won't actually be able to calculate them explicitly yet, I'm just looking for equations.

Ummm
Req maximum height to hit the first target is 40 m. I know that at target 1 that Vy is 0, right?
The required range so that the arrow hits target 2 is 100 m.

Vy^2 = Vyo^2 + 2a(y-yo) ?

thaixicedxtea said:
Ummm
Req maximum height to hit the first target is 40 m. I know that at target 1 that Vy is 0, right?
The required range so that the arrow hits target 2 is 100 m.

Vy^2 = Vyo^2 + 2a(y-yo) ?
Correct.

So what is the required initial vertical velocity for the projectile to reach a maximum height of 40m?

How long is the particle in the air? Hence, what would be the required horizontal velocity?

Vy is zero and I assumed Yo to be 0 too. I got Vyo to be 28 m/s.

The only equation I know that relates all my info given is

y= Yo + VyoT + 1/2 at^2

to get time. Am I supposed to use that?

I don't know about horizontal velocity though. Trig?

thaixicedxtea said:
Vy is zero and I assumed Yo to be 0 too. I got Vyo to be 28 m/s.

The only equation I know that relates all my info given is

y= Yo + VyoT + 1/2 at^2

to get time. Am I supposed to use that?
Good, you can use that equation to determine the flight time, i.e. the time from launch to landing.
thaixicedxtea said:
I don't know about horizontal velocity though. Trig?
Once you have determined the flight time, you should be able to find the horizontal velocity trivially.

so I solved for time and got 2.85 seconds

using Vx = x/t
I get Vx to be 17.5 m/s.

thaixicedxtea said:
Vy is zero and I assumed Yo to be 0 too. I got Vyo to be 28 m/s
[...]
so I solved for time and got 2.85 seconds

using Vx = x/t
I get Vx to be 17.5 m/s.

I got those as well, so I guess that's a good sign.

Now you can use those to find the angle since:
tan(angle) = y/x (remember your unit circle), so then:
tan-1 (y/x) = angle

I get the angle as 58 degrees. Finding the initial velocity from that should be easy :)

Yes so I got Vo as 33 m/s
and I did get theta as 58!

Thank you so MUCH!

Related to Projectile Problem - Arrow and Target

What is a projectile problem?

A projectile problem is a type of physics problem that involves the motion of an object (the projectile) that is launched or thrown and moves through the air under the influence of gravity.

What are the key variables in a projectile problem?

The key variables in a projectile problem are the initial velocity, launch angle, time, distance, and acceleration due to gravity. These variables are used to calculate the trajectory and landing point of the projectile.

How do I solve a projectile problem?

To solve a projectile problem, you will need to use the equations of motion for a projectile, which take into account the key variables mentioned above. By plugging in the known values and solving for the unknown, you can find the answer to the problem.

Can a projectile problem be solved without calculus?

Yes, a projectile problem can be solved without calculus by using the kinematic equations of motion. These equations involve basic algebra and do not require knowledge of calculus.

What real-world applications are there for projectile problems?

Projectile problems have many real-world applications, such as in sports like football, basketball, and archery. They are also used in engineering and military applications, such as designing missiles and artillery trajectories.