Projectile Motion With Drag [Aprox's are Welcome]

In summary, the problem at hand is to determine the initial velocity of a projectile in a 2D system, taking into account gravity and air drag, in order to hit a target at a specific height and distance away. The equations x = vi_x*t and y = vi_y*t + g*t^2/2 from the website provided can be used to solve for the initial velocity, but they do not account for air drag. The solution may involve some approximations and separating the equations into x and y components. One possible approach is to assume constant drag and use the equation v = exp(-bt/m)(g + vi) to solve for the initial velocity.
Ikeness
The problem is to give a projectile an initial velocity such that it lands a certain height and distance away (2D system, only x and y dimensions). The forces to account for are gravity and air drag.
The knowns are

x is target horizontal distance to travel
y is target height to travel
g is gravity
Any drag related constants can be found through experimentation I guess.

http://www.pha.jhu.edu/~broholm/l5/node3.html
This web page almost got me started. It has the equations
x = vi_x*t
y = vi_y*t + g*t^2/2

vi, the initial velocity, is what I am solving for. I can solve the above for vi, obviously, but the above does not account for any air drag.

If you could tell me how to put air drag into the above 2 equations, that would be great.

This is for a computer program, so if there is a solution with some approximations I can probably work them in there.

Thanks,
-Joel

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Well both should be considered independent to start with, for a projectile.
Vertical distance (y) is just the effect of gravity on the object. air drag (or resistive friction is just another force.
In the vertical direction it will just counter gravity and you will need to know work out if it is constant force or an accelerating force (i.e. get larger as the object goes faster).

Similar for horizontal distance, but that is based on the time of flight. i.e. (time it takes for the ball to go up and down, the vertical equation).

I would start by assuming for the vertical that 'drag' is averaged out (it will experience air resistance going up and down, assuming you launches/land on the same height)
Horizonatal drag will be an opposing force -ve velocity.

So y does not change an and x probably becomes x=(vInital_x-vDrag_x)*t
So if the drag is equal to the velocity is just goes up and down.

Thinking of examples
An old game called scorched Earth is a good axample to look at, it has now been developed into Scorched3D http://www.scorched3d.co.uk/ you should have a look at the code ;)

Note, this assumes drag does not chance (wind velocity is constant, object does not spin etc..)

> If you could tell me how to put air drag into the above 2 equations, that would be great.

The air drag is, in general, not a simple function of speed. It can vary directly as v at low speeds to v^4 for high speeds.

One case which is analytically solvable is when the drag force is directly proportional to the speed, and obviously acts opposite to the direction of motion. Suppose the drag force is –bv. Then we can write the eqn of motion as,

md^2v/dt^2 = mg – bv. (The bold letters mean vectors.) The solution is,

v = exp(-bt/m)(g + vi).

Now you can separate into x and y directions, e.g., v = vxi + vyj, g=-gi etc.

This could work as a start for you.

Related to Projectile Motion With Drag [Aprox's are Welcome]

1. What is projectile motion with drag?

Projectile motion with drag is a type of motion where an object is launched into the air and experiences air resistance, or drag, as it moves. This type of motion is commonly seen in sports like baseball, as well as in scientific experiments.

2. How does drag affect projectile motion?

Drag can significantly affect the trajectory and speed of a projectile. As the object moves through the air, it experiences a force in the opposite direction of its motion due to air resistance. This force can cause the object to slow down and change direction, leading to a curved path instead of a straight line.

3. What factors affect projectile motion with drag?

The main factors that affect projectile motion with drag are the initial velocity, the mass and shape of the object, and the air resistance or drag coefficient. The angle of launch and the altitude can also play a role in the trajectory and distance traveled.

4. How is projectile motion with drag calculated?

To calculate projectile motion with drag, the initial velocity, mass, and drag coefficient of the object must be known. Then, the equations of motion can be used to determine the object's position, velocity, and acceleration at different points in time. This can be done using mathematical formulas or through computer simulations.

5. What are some real-life applications of projectile motion with drag?

Projectile motion with drag has many practical applications, such as in sports like baseball and golf, where the trajectory of a ball is affected by air resistance. It is also important in understanding the flight of projectiles launched from weapons or spacecraft. Additionally, projectile motion with drag is used in scientific experiments to study the effect of air resistance on various objects and materials.