Projectile Motion with displacement and time

In summary: So, you'll need to find the time when the ball hits the ground. Then you can use that time to find the vertical velocity. Think you can handle that?Yes, thank you for pointing that out. I will need to find the time of impact first before calculating the vertical velocity. Thank you for your help! In summary, the boy kicked a ball that traveled 41.1 meters in 4.3 seconds. The launch velocity was calculated to be 9.56 m/s and the launch angle was found to be 77.2°. However, there may be a discrepancy in the results due to the incorrect calculation of the vertical velocity at impact.
sotrashy

Homework Statement

A boy kicks a ball into the air. It takes 4.3 seconds to land 41.1 meters from his position to the right. What is the launch velocity and launch angle of the ball? Ignore air resistance.

Δx = 41.1 m
t = 4.3 s
a = -9.8 m/s2

Homework Equations

dx = vxt
vfy = v0y + at

The Attempt at a Solution

dx = vxt
dx / t = vx
41.1 m / 4.3 s = vx = 9.56 m/s

vfy = v0y + at
0 = v0y + (-9.8 m/s2 * 4.3 s)
0 = v0y - 42.1 m/s
v0y = 42.1 m/s

launch velocity = (9.56 m/s)2 + (42.1 m/s)2 = vi2
vi = 43.2 m/s

launch angle = vxi = vicosθ
9.56 m/s = 43.2 m/s * cosθ
θ = 77.2°

Can anyone please look through my work to see if I have done it correctly? I'm getting conflicting answers from wolframalpha.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Looks all good to me.

It seemed like that to me, yet when I input these values into http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=projectile+motion, I get travel time that is twice the question's (8.6s) and a horizontal displacement that is also twice the distance (82.2m).

I can't figure out why there's a difference.

sotrashy said:

The Attempt at a Solution

dx = vxt
dx / t = vx
41.1 m / 4.3 s = vx = 9.56 m/s
Okay, that looks good.
vfy = v0y + at
0 = v0y + (-9.8 m/s2 * 4.3 s)
0 = v0y - 42.1 m/s
v0y = 42.1 m/s
Oops. The vertical velocity won't be zero when it lands --- it's going to impact the ground at some speed (and probably bounce). (When is the vertical velocity zero?)

You can use this kinematic relationship if you choose the appropriate time when the velocity is zero, otherwise find another equation for the vertical vertical trajectory that includes the landing condition (Hint: height at landing is zero).

Whoops, made a mistake in my calculations. You should probably try d = vt + 1/2at2 instead. As gneill just said, your Vfy is 0 at the TOP of it's trajectory, not the bottom.

Ahhh, I see. I'm calculating AT time 4.3s!

dy = 0 = vt + 1/2at^2

Better?

:approve: yesh

Related to Projectile Motion with displacement and time

1. What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object through the air, under the influence of gravity, where the only force acting on the object is its initial velocity. It follows a curved path known as a parabola.

2. How is displacement calculated in projectile motion?

Displacement in projectile motion can be calculated using the equation d = v0t + 1/2at^2, where d is the displacement, v0 is the initial velocity, t is the time, and a is the acceleration due to gravity.

3. What factors affect the time of flight in projectile motion?

The time of flight in projectile motion is affected by the initial velocity, the angle of projection, and the acceleration due to gravity. The time of flight will increase with a larger initial velocity and decrease with a larger angle of projection.

4. How does air resistance affect projectile motion?

Air resistance can affect projectile motion by slowing down the object and altering its trajectory. This effect is more significant for objects with a larger surface area and lower initial velocities.

5. How is projectile motion used in real life?

Projectile motion is used in many real-life scenarios, such as throwing a ball, shooting a basketball, or launching a rocket into space. It is also used in sports, military operations, and engineering designs for things like bridges and roller coasters.