Projectile motion with air resistance

In summary: You need to use the dot product, and not the cosine.F_x = m \cdot \frac{d^2x}{dt^2} = -k \cdot \frac{dx}{dt}andF_y = m \cdot \frac{d^2x}{dt^2} = -mg \cdot cos(\theta) - k \cdot \frac{dx}{dt}
Big-Daddy
How do we write differential equations for projectile motion in 2 dimensions featuring air resistance of magnitude kv^2, acting directly opposite to the direction of motion at that moment in time, where v is the velocity in the direction of motion at that moment in time?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Big-Daddy! :wink:

Tell us what you think, and why, and then we'll comment! :smile:

Obviously I'm asking because I don't know. More pertinently I can't imagine how to model this properly. Presumably we'll need independence on the x and y axes, connected with time.

For free-fall I could model it pretty easily:

[tex]mg - kv^2 = m \cdot \frac{dv}{dt}[/tex]

But this doesn't seem to be remotely of the same difficulty. Velocity in free fall is always in the same direction as acceleration, but in the projectile motion case, the velocity is defined by the initial projection angle and velocity (which would be given of course, along with the values of m, g and k).

Big-Daddy said:
but in the projectile motion case, the velocity is defined by the initial projection angle and velocity (which would be given of course, along with the values of m, g and k).

Try writing the differential equation in terms of vectors [itex]\vec{v}[/itex] and [itex]\vec{F}=m\vec{a}[/itex]. That will at least get the problem modeled properly, and you can decompose it into coupled differential equations for ##x(t)## and ##y(t)##.

The initial angle and speed provide the boundary conditions you'll need to determine the arbitrary constants that show up in the solutions of the differential equations.

(And I have to caution you that solving these equations is a non-trivial problem).

Last edited:
Nugatory said:
Try writing the differential equation in terms of vectors [itex]\vec{v}[/itex] and [itex]\vec{F}=m\vec{a}[/itex]. That will at least get the problem modeled properly, and you can decompose it into coupled differential equations for ##x(t)## and ##y(t)##.

Well ok, perhaps this is an analogous equation to mine for free-fall, where v has now been replaced by a vector?

Question is, how to decompose this into my x(t) and y(t) differential equations?

Big-Daddy said:
Question is, how to decompose this into my x(t) and y(t) differential equations?

Equate the components of the acceleration and force vectors to obtain the scalar equations of motion.

Hi Big-Daddy! :smile:

(just got up :zzz:)
Big-Daddy said:
For free-fall I could model it pretty easily:

[tex]mg - kv^2 = m \cdot \frac{dv}{dt}[/tex]

ok, same, but with vectors …

[itex]-mg\mathbf{y} - kf(\mathbf{v})\mathbf{v} = m \cdot \frac{d\mathbf{v}}{dt}[/itex]
where ##f(\mathbf{v})## = … ? :wink:

jhae2.718 said:
Equate the components of the acceleration and force vectors

What do you mean?

tiny-tim said:
ok, same, but with vectors …

[itex]-mg\mathbf{y} - kf(\mathbf{v})\mathbf{v} = m \cdot \frac{d\mathbf{v}}{dt}[/itex]
where ##f(\mathbf{v})## = … ? :wink:

I'm not sure I understand what that y is doing there. As for f(v), not sure ... looks like it should just be v to me, but I'm not sure why you wrote it as such then ...

f is a scalar, non-negative function.
What ought f to be then?

Big-Daddy said:
I'm not sure I understand what that y is doing there.

because gravity is mg directly downwards,

so the vector for the force of gravity is -mg in the y direction, ie -mg time the unit vector in the y direction, ie -mgy :wink:
As for f(v), not sure ... looks like it should just be v to me

yes, but you need to write it in terms of the vector v, so it's -(k√(v2))v :smile:

jhae2.718 said:
Equate the components of the acceleration and force vectors to obtain the scalar equations of motion.

Big-Daddy said:
What do you mean?
jhae means Fx = m ax , and similarly for the y-component. That's two equations of motion, one for each component.

As for the original question:

The air resistance force has a magnitude k v2, and direction opposite to that of v. For the x-component of the force, multiply this magnitude by the cosine of the angle it makes w.r.t. the +x-direction -- this is -vx/v -- and this gives you the x-component of the force due to air-resistance.

Do the same for the y-component.

And then you'll have the force components due to air resistance to use in the equations relating Fx to ax and Fy to ay.

p.s. This is worth repeating:
Nugatory said:
(And I have to caution you that solving these equations is a non-trivial problem).

Ok, I don't know how to include the angles - surely with 2 equations we can only afford to have 2 variables, x and y?

So far I have

[tex]F_x = m \cdot \frac{d^2x}{dt^2} = -k \cdot \frac{dx}{dt}[/tex]

and

[tex]F_y = m \cdot \frac{d^2x}{dt^2} = -mg \cdot cos(\theta) - k \cdot \frac{dx}{dt}[/tex]

I think there is a problem in how I have resolved the weight though. How can I do this better?

You're getting there :smile:. Yes, there are just the two variables you mentioned to concern yourself with.

A couple of problems to clear up in your equations:

1. The weight is -mg. There is no cosine term involved in the weight, since it always acts downward, in the -y-direction, regardless of the angle of the trajectory.

2. Also, you have incorrectly multiplied kv2 and -vx/v -- so you are missing a factor of v in the air resistance expression. (And the same error occurs in the y-equation).

You won't be able to solve this analytically, but it is a good exercise to set up the equations of motion that will govern the system.

Redbelly98 said:
1. The weight is -mg. There is no cosine term involved in the weight, since it always acts downward, in the -y-direction, regardless of the angle of the trajectory.

Ok then so maybe

[tex]F_y = m \cdot \frac{d^2y}{dt^2} = -mg - k \cdot \frac{dy}{dt}[/tex]

Redbelly98 said:
2. Also, you have incorrectly multiplied kv2 and -vx/v -- so you are missing a factor of v in the air resistance expression. (And the same error occurs in the y-equation).

I'm not sure I understand ... by v, do you mean the resultant of vx and vy, and by vx you mean dx/dt? If so then maybe:

[tex]F_y = m \cdot \frac{d^2y}{dt^2} = -mg - k \cdot \frac{dy}{dt} \cdot ((\frac{dy}{dt})^2+(\frac{dx}{dt})^2)^{1/2}[/tex]

and

[tex]F_x = m \cdot \frac{d^2x}{dt^2} = - k \cdot \frac{dy}{dt} \cdot ((\frac{dy}{dt})^2+(\frac{dx}{dt})^2)^{1/2}[/tex]

In your last last line, the "dy/dt" outside the root should be replaced with "dx/dt"

Big-Daddy said:
I'm not sure I understand ... by v, do you mean the resultant of vx and vy, and by vx you mean dx/dt?
Yes to both.

Apart from arildno's correction, you got it.

Thank you.

And the boundary conditions would involve me specifying initial y and x displacement from the origin as well as initial x velocity and y velocity (which can be found as the cos and sin components respectively of the initial total magnitude of velocity, making sure the y initial velocity is positive if the point is traveling upwards initially and negative if it is traveling downwards initially), and nothing else?

Big-Daddy said:
Thank you.

And the boundary conditions would involve me specifying initial y and x displacement from the origin as well as initial x velocity and y velocity (which can be found as the cos and sin components respectively of the initial total magnitude of velocity, making sure the y initial velocity is positive if the point is traveling upwards initially and negative if it is traveling downwards initially), and nothing else?

Yes.

Related to Projectile motion with air resistance

1. What is projectile motion with air resistance?

Projectile motion with air resistance is a type of motion experienced by objects that are moving through a fluid, such as air. It takes into account the effects of air resistance on the motion of the object, which can cause changes in its trajectory and speed.

2. How does air resistance affect projectile motion?

Air resistance, also known as drag, is a force that acts in the opposite direction of an object's motion and increases as the object's speed increases. This force can cause a projectile to slow down and change its trajectory, leading to a shorter range and a longer flight time.

3. What factors affect the amount of air resistance on a projectile?

The amount of air resistance on a projectile is affected by several factors, including the shape and size of the object, the speed at which it is moving, and the density of the fluid through which it is moving. Objects with larger surface areas and higher speeds will experience greater air resistance.

4. How can air resistance be calculated in projectile motion?

Air resistance can be calculated using mathematical equations that take into account the velocity, density, and cross-sectional area of the object. These calculations can be complex and may require the use of specialized software or computer programs.

5. How does air resistance impact the range of a projectile?

The presence of air resistance can significantly impact the range of a projectile. As the object travels through the air, it experiences a decrease in speed due to the force of air resistance. This decrease in speed results in a shorter range compared to a projectile moving through a vacuum or with minimal air resistance.