Projectile Motion with Air Resistance Excel EVIL

In summary: Z)/ZIn summary, the student is trying to find the velocity, position, and drag of a point-mass projectile. However, they are having difficulty because of a lack of understanding of calculus and partial differential equations. They attempted to find a solution by solving two equations, but eventually needed to use numerical methods. Finally, they found that if they solved the equations using a discretization scheme, the solution would be more accurate but would take more steps to get to the final result.
gMitchell

Homework Statement

Ok I am working on a spreadsheet that calculates the velocity/position/drag of a point-mass projectile and I have been digging up the same equations for days and they aren't helping... lol... I just can't seem to get the numbers right, any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Homework Equations

Vx = Vx(0) + t*Ad,x(t)
Vy = Vy(0) + -9.8*t + t*Ad,y(t)
Fd = Drag Coefficient * Air Density * Velocity^2 (how can drag be dependent on velocity and vice versa? This causes a circular reference problem in Excel...) * Frontal Area

The Attempt at a Solution

Gah... more possibilities than exist in the seventh dimension... lol

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi there,

It has been a very long time, but your equation seem a bit ackward. If you are trying to evaluate the velocity and position of a projectile, you need to have a complete equation that describes it in 2D. For that you need to consider a partial differential equation, since the drag force will depend on the velocity of the object.

Cheers

:) thanks for the response... I am a little rusty with my calculus lol, could you explain to me how to do it that way? How would I be able to incorporate this into a spreadsheet? Thanks :)

Holly cow, this is far back, but here goes nothing.

The acceleration of the object is:
[tex]\vec{a}=\frac{d^2\vec{r}}{dt^2}[/tex]
Very simple up to now. Thinking of what is the object acceleration, you can imagine that the drag makes the object slow down, and gravity is also present. Therefore:
[tex]\vec{a} = \lambda \vec{v} + \vec{g}[/tex]
Where [tex]\lambda[/tex] is the drag coefficient.

With the xy notation:
[tex]a_x = -\lambda v_x = \frac{d^2x}{dt^2}[/tex]
[tex]a_y = - \lambda v_y - g = \frac{d^2y}{dt^2}[/tex]

At last:
[tex]-\lambda \frac{dx}{dt} = \frac{d^2x}{dt^2}[/tex]
[tex]-\lambda \frac{dy}{dt} - g = \frac{d^2y}{dt^2}[/tex]

You just need to solve these two equation and you will get the xy position of your object throughout the trajectory.

Cheers

:smile: Thank you so much! This is much easier to understand than what google and wikipedia brought up. :) I really appreciate this! Amazingness!

Also, if you are solving numerically (like in Excel for instance) you need to discretize the equations. This basically means that d's in the dx's and dt's (and so forth) become delta's (finite steps). The smaller the step, the more accurate your solution is, but the more steps you have to use to get to your end point.

Hi there,

badphysicist said:
Also, if you are solving numerically (like in Excel for instance) you need to discretize the equations. This basically means that d's in the dx's and dt's (and so forth) become delta's (finite steps). The smaller the step, the more accurate your solution is, but the more steps you have to use to get to your end point.

You are absolutely right. This would be solving the equations numerically. This would give you a solution that approximate the real solution.

What I was thinking, at first, was that you can solve these two equations. Let's face it they are not the world to solve, and just plot the solution into an excel graph!

Cheers

When I solve,
[tex]
-\lambda \frac{dx}{dt} = \frac{d^2x}{dt^2}
[/tex]

x(t) = c_2-(c_1 e^(-t Z))/Z

Related to Projectile Motion with Air Resistance Excel EVIL

1. What is projectile motion with air resistance?

Projectile motion with air resistance is a type of motion in which an object is thrown or launched into the air and moves under the influence of gravity and air resistance. It is affected by both the vertical and horizontal components of motion, resulting in a curved path known as a parabola.

2. How does air resistance affect projectile motion?

Air resistance, also known as drag, is a force that opposes the motion of an object through the air. This force increases as the speed of the object increases, resulting in a decrease in the object's velocity. As a result, the object's trajectory will be shorter and steeper compared to projectile motion without air resistance.

3. How can I calculate projectile motion with air resistance using Excel?

To calculate projectile motion with air resistance using Excel, you will need to use mathematical equations that take into account the initial velocity, launch angle, mass, and other variables. These equations can be entered into Excel and the results can be graphed to visualize the motion of the object.

4. Are there any limitations to using Excel to model projectile motion with air resistance?

While Excel can be a useful tool for modeling projectile motion with air resistance, it does have limitations. For example, it assumes a constant value for air resistance, which may not be accurate in real-world scenarios. Additionally, Excel may not be able to accurately model complex trajectories or consider other external factors that may affect the motion of the object.

5. Why is understanding projectile motion with air resistance important?

Understanding projectile motion with air resistance is important in a variety of fields, such as physics, engineering, and sports. It allows us to accurately predict and analyze the motion of objects in real-world scenarios, which can help in designing and optimizing various systems and equipment. It also helps us understand the effects of air resistance on objects in motion, which is crucial for safety and performance in activities such as sports and aviation.