Projectile motion, water cannon into storage tank

In summary: Finally, you need to solve for the range by using the equationx = (Vocos45)tand plugging in the values for V_o and t that you have found. This will give you the range for both the 6D and 7D distances. In summary, the range of launch speeds for the water to enter the tank is given by Vo = 2√2Dg.
casemeister06

Homework Statement

A water hose is used to fill a large cylindrical storage tank of diameter D and height 2D. The hose shoots water at 45 degrees above the horizontal from the same level as the base of the tank and is at a distance 6D away. For what range of launch speeds will the water enter the tank? ignore air resistance and express answer in terms of D and g

Homework Equations

Vy=Vosin[tex]\alpha[/tex]-gt
y = (Vosin[tex]\alpha[/tex])t - 1/2 gt2
x = (Vocos[tex]\alpha[/tex])t

v[tex]_{0}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I see there will be 2 unknowns, time and initial velocity. So I solved for time when the water is at its max height where Vy = 0.

[tex]Vy = Vosin45 - gt[/tex]
[tex]0 = Vo sin45 - gt[/tex]
[tex]gt = Vo sin45[/tex]
[tex]t= (Vo sin45)/g[/tex]

Now, plug t into the height equation to solve for Vo

y = (Vosin[tex]\alpha[/tex])t - 1/2 gt2
2D = (Vosin45)((Vosin45)/g)) - 1/2 g((Vosin45)/g))2
2D = ((Vosin45)^2)/g) - 1/2((Vosin45)^2/g))
2D = 1/2 (((Vosin45)^2)/g)
4Dg = ((Vosin45)^2)
[tex]\sqrt{4Dg}[/tex] = ((Vosin45))
Vo = 2D/sin45

now plug Vo from the previous equation and t into the distance formula for both 6D and 7D to get the range.

for 6D:
6D = ((2Dcos45)/sin45)((Vosin45)/g)

the sin45's cancel...

6D = (2Dcos45/g)Vo
3Dg =Vo cos45
3Dg/Cos45 = Vo

for 7D i did the same and my final result was:

(7/2 Dg)/cos45 = VoI don't really know if its right. I have a feeling it won't make it into the container for whatever reason.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I have this same exact problem. How should I go about solving it?

The water will follow a parabolic trajectory from the hose, so it will be on the "downside" of the curve when it enters the top of the tank (arching over the front lip). There are two critical trajectories. The first is where the water is hitting the front lip of the vat, and the second is where it is hitting the back lip.

Can you write the equations of motion for projectiles fired at 45 degrees from the specified distance and passing through those points?

You might find it convenient to know that sin(45) = cos(45) = sqrt(2)/2.

casemeister06 said:
I solved for time when the water is at its max height where Vy = 0.

[tex]Vy = Vosin45 - gt[/tex]
[tex]0 = Vo sin45 - gt[/tex]
[tex]gt = Vo sin45[/tex]
[tex]t= (Vo sin45)/g[/tex]

This is not right. For the stream of water to land inside the tank, the water must be on a downward trajectory. Therefore, Vy must be non-zero.

Instead, calculate t based on the horizontal velocity, which we know does not change.

casemeister06 said:
y = (VosinLaTeX Code: \\alpha )t - 1/2 gt2
2D = (Vosin45)((Vosin45)/g)) - 1/2 g((Vosin45)/g))2
2D = ((Vosin45)^2)/g) - 1/2((Vosin45)^2/g))
2D = 1/2 (((Vosin45)^2)/g)
4Dg = ((Vosin45)^2)
LaTeX Code: \\sqrt{4Dg} = ((Vosin45))
Vo = 2D/sin45
In addition, your last step is incorrect. You should have come up with

[tex]V_o = \frac{2\sqrt{Dg}}{\sin{45^\circ}}[/tex]

which simplifies to [itex]V_o = 2\sqrt{2Dg}[/tex] since

[tex]\sin{45^\circ} = \frac{\sqrt{2}}{2}[/tex]

I would like to point out that your solution assumes that the water reaches the maximum height at the same time it reaches the tank, which may not be the case. Additionally, the water may not enter the tank if its initial velocity does not have the correct trajectory to enter the opening of the tank. To accurately determine the range of launch speeds that will allow the water to enter the tank, we need to consider the trajectory of the water as it travels from the hose to the tank. This can be done by using the equations of projectile motion and taking into account the distance between the hose and the tank, the angle of launch, and the dimensions of the tank. Additionally, we would need to consider the height of the water in the tank, as this would affect the final velocity of the water as it enters the tank. It may also be helpful to create a diagram to visualize the trajectory and better understand the problem. Overall, to accurately determine the range of launch speeds that will allow the water to enter the tank, we need to consider all the factors involved and use the appropriate equations and techniques.

Related to Projectile motion, water cannon into storage tank

What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object through the air that is subject only to the force of gravity. It follows a curved path called a parabola.

How is projectile motion affected by air resistance?

Air resistance can affect the trajectory of a projectile, causing it to deviate from a perfect parabola. This is because air resistance acts in the opposite direction of the projectile's motion, slowing it down and changing its path.

How does the angle of launch affect the distance of a projectile?

The angle of launch, also known as the angle of elevation, affects the horizontal distance a projectile can travel. The optimal angle for maximum distance is 45 degrees, as this allows for the most balanced combination of horizontal and vertical velocity.

What is the formula for calculating the range of a projectile?

The formula for calculating the range of a projectile is R = (v2sin2θ)/g, where R is the range, v is the initial velocity, θ is the angle of launch, and g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s2).

What factors can affect the trajectory of a projectile?

The trajectory of a projectile can be affected by factors such as air resistance, initial velocity, angle of launch, and any external forces acting upon it, such as wind or friction. The shape and weight of the projectile can also play a role in its trajectory.