Projectile Motion (Vector Quantities)

In summary, the conversation discusses various statements about vectors and scalar quantities. The statements include the representation of single vectors as pairs of components, the complete description of vector quantities by magnitude only, the requirement of both magnitude and direction for scalar quantities, the graphical representation of vectors using arrows, the increase of vertical component as the angle between the ground and a vector increases, and the nature of velocity as a vector quantity. The conclusion is that all the statements are true except for the second and third ones which are false. It is also noted that some scalars may require direction for complete information, as in the case of current producing a magnetic field.
deaninator

Homework Statement

Determine whether each statement below is True or False.
1. T/F Single vectors may be represented as pairs of vector components.
2. T/F Vector quantities are completely described by magnitude only.
3. T/F A scalar quantity requires both magnitude and direction for a complete description.
4. T/F Vector quantities are graphically represented using arrows.
5. T/F As the angle between the ground and a vector increases, the vertical component of the vector increases.
6. T/F Velocity is a vector quantity.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

My answers are:
1. T
2. F
3. F
4. T
5. T
6. T

Do you guys think my answers are correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
:approve: I do :approve:

Yea everything looks right to me.

brewAP2010 said:
Yea everything looks right to me.

Thanks!

PhanthomJay said:
:approve: I do :approve:

Thanks!

ya.Everything's right.
but some scalars require direction also for complete information.For eg:current produces magnetic field but it's direction can only be determined if u know the direction of current.

Related to Projectile Motion (Vector Quantities)

1. What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object through the air that is influenced by the force of gravity. It can be described by both horizontal and vertical components, making it a vector quantity.

2. What are the key components of projectile motion?

The key components of projectile motion are the initial velocity, launch angle, and acceleration due to gravity. These factors determine the trajectory of the projectile and how far it will travel.

3. How do you calculate the initial velocity of a projectile?

The initial velocity of a projectile can be calculated using the equation v0 = vx + vy, where vx is the horizontal velocity and vy is the vertical velocity. It can also be calculated using trigonometric functions with the launch angle and initial speed.

4. How does air resistance affect projectile motion?

Air resistance can affect the horizontal and vertical components of a projectile's motion. It can decrease the horizontal velocity and cause the projectile to travel a shorter distance, and it can also cause the projectile to fall faster due to increased drag in the vertical direction.

5. Can the range of a projectile be increased by changing the launch angle?

Yes, the range of a projectile can be increased by changing the launch angle. The optimal launch angle for maximum range is 45 degrees, but this may vary depending on factors such as air resistance and initial velocity.