Projectile motion (time cut in half)

In summary, we can deduce that the ball will hit the side of building B at a height of 3/4H from the ground when it is launched with the same horizontal velocity from a distance of half the original distance between the buildings.
reshmaji

Homework Statement

Two buildings A & B are each of height H as measured from the ground & are located a distance L apart. A tennis ball is shot horizontally with a velocity vo from building A such that it just hits the bottom of building B before hitting the ground. If building B is moved to half the distance (1/2)(L) & the ball is launched with the same horizontal velocity, where on building B does it hit the side, measured from the ground?

Homework Equations

I think they are:
x-xo = (vocos(theta))t
y-yo = (vosin(theta))t - 1/2(g)t2

The Attempt at a Solution

Where the ball would be at L/2 = x/2 & results in t/2 because x is proportional to time in the equation.
So apply half the time to the y-axis equation, but since it's 2 terms with different degrees of t (one is t1, the other t2) I'm not sure what I can assert about how this effects y.

Physics news on Phys.org
I just realized that the y-axis won't use the equation I posted, the y-axis is a one dimensional motion... I'll try this again

Okay, is this correct:
We can deduce that it'll be half the time from my reasoning in the first post.
the y-axis equation we need to use is: Δy = vot + ½at2
since vo = 0, Δy = ½at2,
if we apply t/2 we get Δy = ½a(½t)2 =(¼)½at2, so we'll end up with ¼*Δy, giving us 3/4H from the ground.

Is this all sound reasoning?

reshmaji said:
Okay, is this correct:
We can deduce that it'll be half the time from my reasoning in the first post.
the y-axis equation we need to use is: Δy = vot + ½at2
since vo = 0, Δy = ½at2,
if we apply t/2 we get Δy = ½a(½t)2 =(¼)½at2, so we'll end up with ¼*Δy, giving us 3/4H from the ground.

Is this all sound reasoning?
Looks good!

Related to Projectile motion (time cut in half)

1. What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object that is launched into the air and then moves along a curved path due to the influence of gravity.

2. How does cutting the time in half affect projectile motion?

Cutting the time in half does not affect the horizontal component of projectile motion, but it causes the vertical component to be half of its original value. This means that the object will reach the peak of its trajectory in half the time, but it will also fall to the ground in half the time.

3. Why does cutting the time in half affect projectile motion?

Cutting the time in half affects projectile motion because time is a crucial factor in determining the magnitude and direction of an object's velocity and acceleration. When time is cut in half, the object's velocity and acceleration will also be reduced by half.

4. What is the formula for calculating projectile motion with time cut in half?

The formula for calculating projectile motion with time cut in half is: v = (gt)/2, where v is the final velocity, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and t is the time.

5. How is projectile motion used in real life?

Projectile motion is used in real life in various applications such as sports, transportation, and military. For example, in sports like basketball, the trajectory of a ball thrown into the air follows projectile motion. In transportation, the trajectory of a rocket or a bullet follows projectile motion. In the military, projectile motion is used to calculate the trajectory of missiles or bombs.