Projectile Motion: Solving for Velocity Components | Tower Launch

In summary, the conversation discusses solving for the x and y components of velocity for a projectile launched from a 100m tower and falling 20m below and 90m away in the x direction. The time of flight is 6 seconds. The x component of Vf is found to be 15m/s and the y component of Vi is 20m/s. The displacement along y is related to the time of flight and the correct value for vy is determined to be 9.43m/s. Overall, the conversation provides helpful insights for solving this problem.
jklops686

Homework Statement

A Projectile is launched from the top of a 100m tower and falls 20m below the bottom of the tower and 90m away in the x direction. Time of flight is 6 seconds.

1. Find the x component of the velocity of the object when it strikes the ground.

2. Find the y-component of the inital velocity of the object.

Homework Equations

I tried using Δx=Vi,x(t) to solve for the x component of Vf (since the inital should be the same as the final). Then I did the same thing for the y component of Vi.

The Attempt at a Solution

I got 15m/s for the x component of Vf and I'm not sure if this is correct. For the y component of Vi I solved and got 20m/s. I used -120m for Δy and I'm not sure if this is right because in the picture it shows the projectile going up a little before it begins to go down 120m.

Any input would be greatly appreciated :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
Yo I got 15m/s for x. My y was wrong sorry.

Don't forget that the y component of velocity is affected by gravity.

jklops686 said:

Homework Statement

A Projectile is launched from the top of a 100m tower and falls 20m below the bottom of the tower and 90m away in the x direction. Time of flight is 6 seconds.

1. Find the x component of the velocity of the object when it strikes the ground.

Homework Equations

I tried using Δx=Vi,x(t) to solve for the x component of Vf (since the inital should be the same as the final). Then I did the same thing for the y component of Vi.

I got 15m/s for the x component of Vf and I'm not sure if this is correct. For the y component of Vi I solved and got 20m/s. I used -120m for Δy and I'm not sure if this is right because in the picture it shows the projectile going up a little before it begins to go down 120m.

What did you end up getting for the y?

jklops686 said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

How is the displacement along y related to the time of flight?

ehild

Yo i got this problem too. Is vy 9.43m/s?

Toranc3 said:
Yo i got this problem too. Is vy 9.43m/s?

Excellent!

ehild

ehild said:
Excellent!

ehild

Awesome thanks!

I got it. Wow, I don't know how I missed that. Maybe my brain was overloaded from studying all day and just farted. Thanks, though!

Related to Projectile Motion: Solving for Velocity Components | Tower Launch

1. What is 2D projectile motion?

2D projectile motion is the motion of an object that is launched or thrown into the air at an angle, and then moves in a curved path under the influence of gravity. It is referred to as 2D because it takes place in two dimensions, typically the x and y axes.

2. How do I calculate the initial velocity for a 2D projectile motion problem?

To calculate the initial velocity, you will need to know the angle at which the object is launched, the initial height of the object, and the horizontal and vertical components of the initial velocity. You can use trigonometric functions to find these components and then use the Pythagorean theorem to find the magnitude of the initial velocity.

3. What is the horizontal range in a 2D projectile motion problem?

The horizontal range is the distance traveled by the object in the horizontal direction before it hits the ground. It is often denoted as R and can be calculated using the formula R = (v02sin2θ)/g, where v0 is the initial velocity, θ is the launch angle, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

4. How does air resistance affect a 2D projectile motion problem?

Air resistance, also known as drag, can have a significant impact on the motion of an object in 2D projectile motion. It can cause the object to slow down and deviate from its intended path. To account for air resistance, you can use equations that incorporate the drag force and its effect on the object's velocity and acceleration.

5. What is the maximum height reached by an object in a 2D projectile motion problem?

The maximum height reached by an object in a 2D projectile motion problem is the highest point on the object's trajectory. It is often denoted as hmax and can be calculated using the formula hmax = (v02sin2θ)/(2g), where v0 is the initial velocity, θ is the launch angle, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.