Projectile Motion: Solving for Specific X Values with Given Y Values

In summary: You'll be fine.In summary, the conversation discusses how to find a specific x value given a certain y value, using the initial velocity and angle of launch of a golf ball. The attempt at a solution involved setting up equations for y and x values, but after converting the units, there seemed to be an error. Upon further inspection, it was found that the error was due to confusion with unit conversions. After correcting the units, the problem was solvable.
reddawg

Homework Statement

If I know a launched objects initial velocity and angle of launch, how would I find a specific x value given a certain y value?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried setting the equation y=Vo*sin(angle)*t-.5gt^2 to equal the y value given which is 45. Then I should be able to solve for t and plug that into the x equation for kinematics which is x=Vo*cos(angle)*t in turn finding the desired x value. The equation as result isn't even solvable in my case so I'm confused as to why it doesn't work.

Physics news on Phys.org
Why is it not solvable? Can you post the exact question and your effort?

I'm not sure either. Can you post your work? There may be a hidden error.

Sort out the things that are given.
Sort out what is being asked
Collect the relevant equations
work out a way to solve them.

What you've written down so far is not sorted out and does not constitute a solvable problem

1. Homework Statement -- what is being asked ?
-------- given data ? I only see a number 45 for the y value. 45 furlongs ?

2. Homework Equations . I'm not allowed to shout. In 3 you come up with y=Vo*sin(angle)*t-.5gt^2 and x=Vo*cos(angle)*t All they tell me now is that you are well equipped to deal with the problem.

3. The Attempt at a Solution . Not bad -- you are smart enough to try something sensible, count the number of unknowns and conclude: unsolvable.

My conclusion: either you overlooked something in the original problem formulation, or there is a genuine error in there. The odds are in favor of the former.

Use the template. You need it.

I see you're already in the hands of several heavyweights in the time I need to type this. Do your thing!

A golf ball is hit with initial speed 116 ft/sec at 45 deg towards a green elevated 45 ft above the tee where the ball was launched. The hole is 369 ft away from the tee. Where will the ball land in relation to the pin?

After converting ft to meters in all cases: y=(35.3572 m/s) * sin45 * t - 4.905 m/s^2 * t^2

let y = 45

0=(35.3572 m/s) * sin45 * t - 4.905t^2 - 45

Using a computer algebra system to solve for t it came back false. Also, the graph of that function does not even cross the x-axis (tried finding the zeros).

. . . I mean 13.7162 m not 45 ft.

I think my error was converting all this metric stuff and I confused myself between typing here and typing into my calculator.

It is solvable the second time around.

You're doing fine. Glad my hunch was right. Not too hasty, not too sloppy and you'll save time and score higher.

Related to Projectile Motion: Solving for Specific X Values with Given Y Values

1. What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object through the air under the influence of gravity. It is a combination of horizontal and vertical motion.

2. What factors affect projectile motion?

The factors that affect projectile motion include the initial velocity, angle of launch, air resistance, and the force of gravity.

3. How is the trajectory of a projectile determined?

The trajectory of a projectile can be determined using mathematical equations and principles, such as the equations of motion and the laws of physics.

4. Can the horizontal and vertical components of projectile motion be separated?

Yes, the horizontal and vertical components of projectile motion can be separated and analyzed separately using mathematical equations and principles.

5. What applications does projectile motion have in real life?

Projectile motion has many applications in real life, including sports (such as throwing a ball or hitting a golf ball), launching objects into orbit, and studying the motion of objects in space.