Projectile Motion: Solving for Explosion Co-ordinates

In summary, the conversation discusses using projectile motion equations to find the (x,y) coordinates where an artillery shell explodes after being fired with an initial velocity of 300 m/s at 55 degrees above the horizontal. The equations used include rf=ri+vvt+1/2 at2 for the y-component of motion, and X=Vx0t and Y=Vy0t+1/2ayt2 for the x-component. Trigonometry is also used to determine the x- and y-components of the initial velocity.
thushanthan
Projectile motion...?

Homework Statement

An artillery shell is fired with an initial velocity of 300 m/s at 55 degrees above the horizontal. It explodes on mountainside 42 s after firing. If x is horizontal and y is vertical, find the (x,y) co-ordinates where shell explodes?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I used rf=ri+vvt+1/2 at2

where ri=0
vi=300 m/s
a=-9.8
t=42-0=42s
and theta = 55 degrees ...

I want to know whether my way is correct ? If it is wrong please provide any suggestions... I don't need the full solution...

Physics news on Phys.org

For this problem, you need to treat the x and y motions separately.

For example, a=-9.8 m/s2 is true for the y-component of motion, but for the x-component a=0.

Also, for the initial velocity you'll need to use some trig to get the x- and y-components, given that the 300 m/s is at 55°.

Thank you! I got it.

I used X=Vx0t and Y=Vy0t+1/2ayt2 equations.

Related to Projectile Motion: Solving for Explosion Co-ordinates

1. What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the movement of an object through the air or space under the influence of only gravity. It follows a curved path known as a parabola.

2. How is projectile motion used in solving for explosion coordinates?

Projectile motion is used in solving for explosion coordinates by analyzing the trajectory of a projectile, such as a bomb or a missile, to determine its initial position and velocity at the time of explosion.

3. What is the equation used to solve for explosion coordinates?

The equation used to solve for explosion coordinates is the projectile motion equation: y = y0 + v0y*t - 1/2gt^2, where y is the vertical position, y0 is the initial vertical position, v0y is the initial vertical velocity, t is time, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

4. What information is needed to solve for explosion coordinates?

To solve for explosion coordinates using projectile motion, the initial position and velocity of the projectile at the time of explosion must be known. This information can be obtained through measurements or calculations.

5. Are there any factors that can affect the accuracy of the solution for explosion coordinates?

Yes, there are several factors that can affect the accuracy of the solution for explosion coordinates, such as air resistance, wind, and the shape and size of the projectile. It is important to consider these factors and make adjustments to the calculations for a more precise result.