Projectile motion- solve for initial velocity

In summary, the ball was thrown upward at an angle of 30 degrees and landed on the top edge of a building 20 meters away. The top edge was 5 meters above the throwing point. The ball was thrown at a speed of 20 meters per second.
mbphysics

Homework Statement

A ball is thrown upward at an angle of 30degrees to the horizontal and lands on the top edge of a building that is 20m away. The top edge is 5.0m above the throwing point. How fast was the ball thrown?

Homework Equations

x=v0t+(1/2)at2
vf2=V02+2ax
vx=v0cosθ
vy=v0sinθ

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm stumped on this question because I feel like I should solve for time first to get initial velocity but I can't figure out how to do that without actually having the initial velocity. I solved for t using t=20/v0cos30 and then plugged that into the vf2 equation but it comes out as a huge mess.

I know the answer is 20m/s but I don't know how to get the answer.

Thanks for any help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Your equation for x looks odd, should that be y? And what about the other coordinate?

You have two conditions - the height and width - and two unknowns, time and initial velocity. Can you write down two equations that just depend on those (and the known angle)?

Hello and welcome to PF!

mbphysics said:
I solved for t using t=20/v0cos30 and then plugged that into the vf2 equation but it comes out as a huge mess.

I don't see how you could substitute for t in the vf2 equation. That equation doesn't contain t. But you have the right idea. You need to substitute for t in the appropriate equation where you can use your information about the vertical height y.

[Sorry. I see mfb posted while I was constructing my post.]

You're definitely on the right track, but vf2 doesn't involve time, does it? Basically, you've solved for the time it takes for the ball to go 20 meters with initial velocity v0. Now, you also know that the ball has to travel 5 meters vertically in that same amount of time. Can you use that information to solve for v0 by plugging what you have for t into an equation for the vertical motion?

I used t=20/v0cos30 and plugged that into t in the equation: vfy=v0y+ayt so it becomes vfy=v0y+ay(20/v0cos30) Then I found vfy to be (v0y2-(2*-9.8*5))1/2 and plugged that whole thing into the vf=vo+at formula. So: (v0y2-(2*-9.8*5))1/2=v0y+(-9.8)(20/v0cos30) That way the only variable is v0y but I don't know where to go from there

Is there a simpler way to solve this that I'm missing? In my practice book it is only a level 2 problem (out of 3) but it seems very complicated

mbphysics said:
Is there a simpler way to solve this that I'm missing?

Trying to find the final vertical velocity is not necessary. Instead, think about the y displacement.

mbphysics said:
I used t=20/v0cos30 and plugged that into t in the equation: vfy=v0y+ayt so it becomes vfy=v0y+ay(20/v0cos30) Then I found vfy to be (v0y2-(2*-9.8*5))1/2 and plugged that whole thing into the vf=vo+at formula. So: (v0y2-(2*-9.8*5))1/2=v0y+(-9.8)(20/v0cos30) That way the only variable is v0y but I don't know where to go from there

I'd say step back and think about what you're trying to solve for. You want v0. So you have two unknowns really: time and the initial velocity. When you have two unknowns you're going to need two equations that involve those two unknowns to solve for them both. You're making things more complicated by involving a third equation, I think.

You can use the initial and final y velocity equations to solve I believe, but remember you need everything to be in terms of v0 in order to solve for v0. OR, you need everything in terms of v0y. You have equations relating the two, so you can do either by subsituting.

PeroK's hint is correct though, this problem is much easier if you simply use two equations of motion for displacement, one in the x direction and one in the y direction.

This might make things a little clearer

y = v0yt+1/2at2
x = v0xt

Use:
v0y = v0 sinθ
and
v0x = vo cosθ

To put everything in your displacement equations in terms of v0 and the rest is algebra (which might be a little tricky, but if you write down all your steps shouldn't be too bad).

Likes PeroK

Related to Projectile motion- solve for initial velocity

What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object that is launched into the air with a force, such as a ball being thrown. It follows a curved path known as a parabola due to the influence of gravity.

How do you solve for initial velocity in projectile motion?

To solve for initial velocity in projectile motion, you can use the formula v = u + at, where v is the final velocity, u is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration due to gravity (usually -9.8 m/s^2), and t is the time. You will also need to use the equation x = ut + 1/2at^2 to solve for the initial velocity.

What factors affect projectile motion?

The factors that affect projectile motion include the initial velocity, angle of launch, air resistance, and the force of gravity. These factors can impact the trajectory, height, and distance of the projectile.

What is the importance of finding initial velocity in projectile motion?

Finding the initial velocity in projectile motion is important because it allows you to accurately predict the trajectory and motion of the object. It also helps in determining the angle and force needed to launch the object to achieve a desired result.

Can you use projectile motion equations in real-life situations?

Yes, projectile motion equations can be used in real-life situations, such as calculating the trajectory of a basketball being thrown, or determining the angle and force needed to launch a rocket into space. These equations are applicable in various fields, including sports, engineering, and physics.