Projectile Motion Problem with thrown ball off roof

In summary, coco87's homework statement says that a ball is thrown leftward from the left edge of the roof, at height h above the ground. The ball hits the ground 1.50s later, at distance d=25.0m from the building and at angle \theta =60^{\circ} with the horizontal.
coco87

Homework Statement

A ball is thrown leftward from the left edge of the roof, at height [tex]h[/tex] above the ground. The ball hits

the ground [tex]1.50s[/tex] later, at distance [tex]d=25.0m[/tex] from the building and at angle [tex]\theta =60^

{\circ}[/tex] with the horizontal. (a) Find h. What are the (b) Magnitude and (c) angle relative to the horizontal

of the velocity at which the ball is thrown? (d) Is the angle above or below the horizontal?

http://lcphr3ak.is-a-geek.com/fig49.png

[tex]d=25.0m[/tex]
[tex]\theta=60^{\circ}[/tex]

The answers in the back are:
a)[tex]32.3m[/tex]
b)[tex]21.9\frac{m}{s}[/tex]
c)[tex]40.4^{\circ}[/tex]
d)below

Homework Equations

[tex]x - x_{\circ} = v_{\circ} t - \frac{1}{2} a t^2[/tex]
[tex]v_{\circ x} = v_{\circ} \cos{\theta _{\circ}}[/tex]
[tex]v_{\circ y} = v_{\circ} \sin{\theta _{\circ}}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm missing an observation here, because I don't see enough information to solve this. This problem is suppose to

be solved with projectile motion. So first I attempt to find [tex]v_{fx}[/tex] (which is the [tex]x[/tex] component

of the vector at [tex]\theta[/tex]): [tex]x - x_{\circ} = v_{fx} t - \frac{1}{2} a t^2[/tex] which is [tex]-25 =

v_{fx} (1.50)[/tex]. This gives me [tex]v_{fx} = -16.667[/tex]. Using this, I take [tex]v_{fx} = v_f \cos{\theta}

[/tex], which is: [tex]-16.667 = v_f \cos{60}[/tex], so [tex]v_f = -33.32[/tex]. Using this, I find [tex]v_{fy}

[/tex] by taking [tex]v_{fy} = v_f \sin{\theta}[/tex] and doing [tex]v_{fy} = (-33.32)\sin{60}[/tex] so [tex]v_{fy}

= -28.856[/tex]. So, to find [tex]h[/tex], we solve for [tex]y[/tex]. [tex]y = v_{fy} t - \frac{1}{2} a t^2[/tex]

becomes [tex]y = (-28.856)(1.50) - \frac{1}{2} (9.8) (1.50)^2[/tex] which says [tex]y = -54.309[/tex]. Now, the

absolute value of [tex]y[/tex] should be the height, but this is waaaaay off from the answer. I'm practically out of

ideas.

Could anyone explain what I'm doing wrong? If I didn't provide enough info, just let me know and I'll try to

provide more.

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi coco87! :smile:

(have a theta: θ :wink:)
coco87 said:
… Using this, I take [tex]v_{fx} = v_f \cos{\theta}

[/tex], which is: [tex]-16.667 = v_f \cos{60}[/tex], so [tex]v_f = -33.32[/tex]. Using this, I find [tex]v_{fy}

[/tex] by taking [tex]v_{fy} = v_f \sin{\theta}[/tex] and doing [tex]v_{fy} = (-33.32)\sin{60}[/tex] so [tex]v_{fy}

= -28.856[/tex].…

Nooo … θ in your formula is the angle at the roof. not the θ (= 60º) in the diagram! :smile:

Take care with the sign of the acceleration.
It is often helpful to write down on your diagram which direction you are taking as positive.

tiny-tim said:
Hi coco87! :smile:

(have a theta: θ :wink:)

Nooo … θ in your formula is the angle at the roof. not the θ (= 60º) in the diagram! :smile:

So, I'm either using the wrong formula, or I need to find the initial velocity (or angle)? I don't know of any other formulas (other than [tex]v = v_{\circ}+at[/tex]), and I have no idea how I would even obtain the angle up there. Could you possibly give me a hint? (or another one :wink: )

Thanks for the responce!

coco87 said:
So, I'm either using the wrong formula, or I need to find the initial velocity (or angle)? I don't know of any other formulas (other than [tex]v = v_{\circ}+at[/tex]), and I have no idea how I would even obtain the angle up there. Could you possibly give me a hint? (or another one :wink: )

Thanks for the responce!

you can use that formula to find the initial vertical velocity. Then you can work out an angle!

disillusion said:
you can use that formula to find the initial vertical velocity. Then you can work out an angle!

What you had said triggered an idea, and after playing around with the equations, I found out that I had misunderstood the Constant Accelloration equations all along.. well, I do now :biggrin:

Thank you guys for your help!

Related to Projectile Motion Problem with thrown ball off roof

1. What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object through the air, under the influence of gravity, after being given an initial velocity. This motion follows a curved path known as a parabola.

2. How is the initial velocity of a thrown ball off a roof determined?

The initial velocity of a thrown ball off a roof can be determined by using the equation v = √(2gh), where v is the initial velocity, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²), and h is the initial height of the ball.

3. What factors affect the trajectory of a ball thrown off a roof?

The trajectory of a ball thrown off a roof is affected by the initial velocity, the angle at which the ball is thrown, and the effects of air resistance. Other factors such as wind, air pressure, and altitude can also play a role.

4. How does the height of the roof impact the motion of the ball?

The height of the roof does not have a direct impact on the motion of the ball. However, it does affect the initial height from which the ball is thrown, which in turn affects the initial velocity and trajectory of the ball.

5. Can you predict where the ball will land after being thrown off a roof?

Yes, the trajectory of the ball can be predicted using mathematical equations and principles of projectile motion. However, factors such as air resistance and wind can make the prediction less accurate.