Projectile Motion Problem Help

In summary, the student is seeking help with their homework on projectile motion in their Honors Physics I class. They are specifically struggling with two problems: calculating the forward distance of a rock kicked off a ledge and determining the time of flight for a long-jumper with given initial velocity and angle. The student has attempted to solve the problems but is unsure if they have all the necessary information.
gabbiem10
I am in an Honors Physics I class at my school and we are just starting to learn about projectile motion. I am having a bit of trouble with some homework and am in need of help.

Problems:
1. I kick a rock horizontally off a ledge that is 20 m high. Once in the air, the rock is in free-fall. How far forward does the rock travel before hitting the ground?
A: I used ΔY=1/2(a)(Δt)^2 to solve for Δt if ΔY = 20m Vy,i = 0 m/s and
a = -9.8 m/s2. I got Δt ≈ 2.0s. Is it even possible to solve this with the given information?

2. A long-jumper leaves the ground with an initial velocity of 12 m/s at an angle of 28 degrees above the horizontal. Determine the long-jumper's time of flight.
I solved for the y component using Vy,i = Rsinθ and
Vx = Rcosθ. Vy,i = 5.6 m/s and Vx = 10.6 m/s. a = -9.8 m/s^2 but that was as far as I could get with the given information.

Physics news on Phys.org
gabbiem10 said:
I am in an Honors Physics I class at my school and we are just starting to learn about projectile motion. I am having a bit of trouble with some homework and am in need of help.

Problems:
1. I kick a rock horizontally off a ledge that is 20 m high. Once in the air, the rock is in free-fall. How far forward does the rock travel before hitting the ground?
A: I used ΔY=1/2(a)(Δt)^2 to solve for Δt if ΔY = 20m Vy,i = 0 m/s and
a = -9.8 m/s2. I got Δt ≈ 2.0s. Is it even possible to solve this with the given information?

2. A long-jumper leaves the ground with an initial velocity of 12 m/s at an angle of 28 degrees above the horizontal. Determine the long-jumper's time of flight.
I solved for the y component using Vy,i = Rsinθ and
Vx = Rcosθ. Vy,i = 5.6 m/s and Vx = 10.6 m/s. a = -9.8 m/s^2 but that was as far as I could get with the given information.

1. Just a nudge, it won't go far forward. Forward depends on initial horizontal velocity.
2. Hidden data. Vertical displacement =0

azizlwl said:
1. Just a nudge, it won't go far forward. Forward depends on initial horizontal velocity.

The problem is that the initial horizontal velocity is not given neither is the horizontal displacement. The time was calulated base upon other given factors.

Related to Projectile Motion Problem Help

What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object through the air that is influenced by gravity. It follows a curved path called a parabola.

What is the equation for projectile motion?

The equation for projectile motion is y = y0 + v0t + ½at², where y is the vertical position, y0 is the initial vertical position, v0 is the initial velocity, t is time, and a is the acceleration due to gravity.

How do you calculate the range of a projectile?

The range of a projectile can be calculated using the equation R = (v0²sin2θ)/g, where R is the range, v0 is the initial velocity, θ is the launch angle, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

What is the difference between horizontal and vertical components in projectile motion?

The horizontal component of projectile motion is the motion in the x-direction, while the vertical component is the motion in the y-direction. The horizontal component of velocity remains constant, while the vertical component changes due to the influence of gravity.

How does air resistance affect projectile motion?

Air resistance can affect projectile motion by slowing down the object and altering its trajectory. It becomes more significant at higher speeds and can cause a decrease in range and height of the projectile.