Projectile Motion Problem: Finding Minimum Jumping Speed of a Salmon

In summary: C} is affected by \vec{g}.As the salmon reaches the surface of water, \vec{C} becomes 0, \vec{B} remains the same.Distance calculations are in 2D.Δx=vi(cosθ)ΔtΔy=vi(sinθ)Δt-1/2g(Δt)2We have 2 equations and 2 unknowns. Solve for \vec{A} and \vec{B}
narutoish

Homework Statement

starting at 2.00m away from a waterfall .55m in height, at what minimum speed must a salmon jumping at an angle of 32.0° leave the water to continue upstream?

Homework Equations

Δx=vi(cosθ)Δt
Δy=vi(sinθ)Δt-1/2g(Δt)2

The Attempt at a Solution

there were some other equations in the book, but i just can't make the connection, i know i can find vx,i and vy,i if i had vi but i don't know any velocities. i tried using cos32°=(2.0m/h) but i can't get any further, so little help would be appreciated. also i am new.

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
From the first equation, you can express Δt (unknown) in terms of everything else in it.

You can plug that Δt into the second equation, thus getting an equation for the unknown initial speed.

starting at 2.00m away from a waterfall .55m in height, at what minimum speed must a salmon jumping at an angle of 32.0° leave the water to continue upstream?

First you have to know about vector operation.
[itex]\vec{A}[/itex]=[itex]\vec{B}[/itex]+[itex]\vec{C}[/itex]

You have to think of the reversal.
The salmon is jumping at minimum speed with 32.0° angle.
So will call this velocity [itex]\vec{A}[/itex]

Thus [itex]\vec{A}[/itex] has 2 components [itex]\vec{B}[/itex] which say in forward direction and [itex]\vec{C}[/itex] in upward direction.

Horizontal velocity is constant.
Vertical motion is affected by gravity.

Last edited:

Related to Projectile Motion Problem: Finding Minimum Jumping Speed of a Salmon

What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object through the air or space under the force of gravity. It follows a curved path called a parabola.

What are the key components of a projectile motion problem?

The key components of a projectile motion problem are the initial velocity, the angle of projection, the acceleration due to gravity, and the displacement of the object in the horizontal and vertical directions.

How do you calculate the range of a projectile?

The range of a projectile is the horizontal distance it travels before hitting the ground. It can be calculated using the formula: R = (v02 * sin(2θ)) / g, where v0 is the initial velocity, θ is the angle of projection, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

What is the maximum height reached by a projectile?

The maximum height reached by a projectile can be calculated using the formula: H = (v02 * sin2(θ)) / (2g), where v0 is the initial velocity, θ is the angle of projection, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

What are some real-life applications of projectile motion?

Projectile motion has many real-life applications, such as in sports like basketball, football, and golf, where players need to calculate the trajectory of the ball to make accurate shots. It is also used in engineering and military applications, such as designing and launching missiles or projectiles.