Projectile motion problem (find the angle) other ways?

In summary: To get a general formula for ##\tan{θ}##, make the substitution ##k = \frac{v_0^2}{g}##. After much algebra, a not too hideous formula...When you find them, you will obtain ##\theta##, this being the only time you have to use trigonometry, but it will be of a most basic kind.It looks like powerof's equations are correct.
powerof

Homework Statement

A soccer player is taking a penalty kick from a distance of 11 meters from a goal which is 2.44 m high (forgive the possible incorrect use of English, since I'm not a native speaker). Given an initial speed of the ball of 90 km/h (which is 25 m/s2) calculate the initial upward angle of the ball for it to hit the upper bar (i.e., have height = 2.44 after having traveled 11 m horizontally).

Homework Equations

The trajectory equation for [itex]x_0=y_0=0[/itex] (initial horizontal and vertical positions) is:

[itex]y = (tan\theta)x - (\frac{g}{2(v_0)^2 cos^2 \theta})x^2[/itex]

Some known constants in the above equation are:

[itex]v_0=25 m/s \ \ \ \ \ \ g = 9.81 m/s^2[/itex]

And obviously [itex]\theta\in(0,\frac{\pi}{2})[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

The straightforward way is to just substitute the known data in the main equation and solve for [itex]\theta[/itex]:

[itex]2.44 = 11(tan\theta) - (\frac{9.81}{2(25)^2 cos^2\theta})11^2[/itex]

But I'm lazy and I find solving for theta to be long and tedious (for me at least) so what I'm asking is:

Are there are any other ways for finding the angle in the mentioned problem besides the classic method I gave you?

I feel it's a long shot but I'm in no hurry and it doesn't hurt to ask. Also it doesn't necessarily have to be an easier method. Just post any you can think of.

Thanks for reading this and hopefully answering it.

Have a nice day! :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
powerof said:

Homework Statement

A soccer player is taking a penalty kick from a distance of 11 meters from a goal which is 2.44 m high (forgive the possible incorrect use of English, since I'm not a native speaker). Given an initial speed of the ball of 90 km/h (which is 25 m/s2) calculate the initial upward angle of the ball for it to hit the upper bar (i.e., have height = 2.44 after having traveled 11 m horizontally).

Homework Equations

The trajectory equation for [itex]x_0=y_0=0[/itex] (initial horizontal and vertical positions) is:

[itex]y = (tan\theta)x - (\frac{g}{2(v_0)^2 cos^2 \theta})x^2[/itex]

Some known constants in the above equation are:

[itex]v_0=25 m/s \ \ \ \ \ \ g = 9.81 m/s^2[/itex]

And obviously [itex]\theta\in(0,\frac{\pi}{2})[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

The straightforward way is to just substitute the known data in the main equation and solve for [itex]\theta[/itex]:

[itex]2.44 = 11(tan\theta) - (\frac{9.81}{2(25)^2 cos^2\theta})11^2[/itex]

But I'm lazy and I find solving for theta to be long and tedious (for me at least) so what I'm asking is:

Are there are any other ways for finding the angle in the mentioned problem besides the classic method I gave you?

I feel it's a long shot but I'm in no hurry and it doesn't hurt to ask. Also it doesn't necessarily have to be an easier method. Just post any you can think of.

Thanks for reading this and hopefully answering it.

Have a nice day! :smile:
Are you too lazy to solve a quadratic equation?

To get to that point will require using a couple of trig identities and doing some basic algebra.

Well, if you have a graphing calculator like a TI84, you might be able to plot the function and look for a zero.

SammyS said:
Are you too lazy to solve a quadratic equation?

To get to that point will require using a couple of trig identities and doing some basic algebra.
I guess someone should've told me that before playing with sines and cosines for half an hour. Anyway, I looked it up on the Internet (and this post is part of my 'research') and I suppose you're referring to this.

I'll have to admit that it would not have occurred to me to substitute 1/cos^2 with tan^2 + 1 but once you do that the rest is just algebra, as you say.

Thank you very much for the hint.

This could have been solved almost without any trig by considering the vertical and horizontal motions separately.

voko said:
This could have been solved almost without any trig by considering the vertical and horizontal motions separately.
This made me curious. How so?

Given: [itex]v_y = v_0 sin \theta \ \ \ \ \ v_x = v_0 cos \theta[/itex]

Vertical motion: [itex]y = y_0 + v_y t + \frac{1}{2}at^2 \ \ \ \ \rightarrow y = v_0 (sin \theta)t - \frac{1}{2}g t^2[/itex]

Horizontal motion: [itex]x = x_0 + v_x t + \frac{1}{2}at^2 \ \ \rightarrow x = v_0 (cos \theta)t[/itex]

How would you have solved it differently?

Stick with ##v_x## and ##v_y## till the end. When you find them, you will obtain ##\theta##, this being the only time you have to use trigonometry, but it will be of a most basic kind.

Shoot the monkey

Maybe this will also do?

Attachments

• shoot the monkey.jpg
    shoot the monkey.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 597
I think powerof's equations are correct.

I think this problem may be just inherently difficult.

To get a general formula for ##\tan{θ}##, make the substitution ##k = \frac{v_0^2}{g}##. After much algebra, a not too hideous formula results.

Related to Projectile motion problem (find the angle) other ways?

1. How do you find the angle in a projectile motion problem?

To find the angle in a projectile motion problem, you can use the trigonometric ratio of the vertical and horizontal components of the initial velocity. This can be done by using the formula tan⁡(θ) = Vy/Vx, where θ is the angle, Vy is the vertical component, and Vx is the horizontal component of the initial velocity.

2. Can the angle in a projectile motion problem be negative?

Yes, the angle in a projectile motion problem can be negative. This is due to the fact that the angle is measured from the horizontal axis and can be in either the positive or negative direction.

3. Are there other ways to find the angle in a projectile motion problem?

Yes, there are other ways to find the angle in a projectile motion problem. One way is to use the kinematic equations of motion and solve for the angle. Another way is to use a graphing calculator or software to plot the projectile's motion and determine the angle from the graph.

4. Is the angle in a projectile motion problem always constant?

No, the angle in a projectile motion problem is not always constant. The angle can change if there are external forces acting on the projectile, such as air resistance or wind. In this case, the angle would need to be recalculated at different points in the motion.

5. How does the angle in a projectile motion problem affect the range?

The angle in a projectile motion problem affects the range, or horizontal distance traveled, of the projectile. The optimal angle for maximum range is 45 degrees, as this produces an equal amount of horizontal and vertical components of the initial velocity. Other angles will result in a shorter or longer range depending on the initial velocity and angle.