Projectile motion or stokes law

In summary, the material falls vertical through the horizontal air stream and is deflected a certain distance along the pipe. The lighter material moves furthest from the drop position in the horizontal plane.
bif
Its a while since I've done any motion calcs so I'm after some guidance.

I am vertically dropping a range of materials (size 8-20 mm) into a horizontal air stream in a pipe (pipe diammeter d , ~0.3m)

The horizontal air velocity in the pipe is 10 m/s

The particle bulk density ranges from 200-2500 kg/m3

The high bulk density material falls pretty vertical through the horizontal air stream and the low bulk density material get caught in the air and never lands (ie its carried off in the air stream). In between these 2 extremes, the material is deflected a certain distance along the pipe, with the lighter material moving furthest from the drop position in the horizontal plane.

I am trying to model this.
My known variables/constants are particle size, particle density, pipe diameter (ie vertical drop height), pipe velocity, air viscosity and gravity.

My unknowns are time it takes to hit the bottom of the pipe and how far in the horizontal direction has it moved, when the particle lands

Any advice on how I model this fall. Is it projectile motion, or should I be looking to utilise Stokes law, or both??

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
(I'm new to the forum and think I may have posted this in the wrong area - have just copied and posted here so hope this is correct)

Its a while since I've done any motion calcs so I'm after some guidance.

I am vertically dropping a range of materials (size 8-20 mm) into a horizontal air stream in a pipe (pipe diammeter d , ~0.3m)

The horizontal air velocity in the pipe is 10 m/s

The particle bulk density ranges from 200-2500 kg/m3

The high bulk density material falls pretty vertical through the horizontal air stream and the low bulk density material get caught in the air and never lands (ie its carried off in the air stream). In between these 2 extremes, the material is deflected a certain distance along the pipe, with the lighter material moving furthest from the drop position in the horizontal plane.

I am trying to model this.
My known variables/constants are particle size, particle density, pipe diameter (ie vertical drop height), pipe velocity, air viscosity and gravity.

My unknowns are time it takes to hit the bottom of the pipe and how far in the horizontal direction has it moved, when the particle lands

Any advice on how I model this fall. Is it projectile motion, or should I be looking to utilise Stokes law, or both??

Thanks

Any decent model is going to be entirely too complicated to easily describe here. Here's a simple model, which should provide results to a modest degree of accuracy:

All particles are spherical and of the same size. Model the air stream as constant velocity, constant diameter jet. Make the problem 2-D, with the assumption that all particles fall through the same thickness of the horizontal air stream. The particles undergo free fall the entire time, but while they are in the air stream they are subjected to an additional force F = 6*pi*a*U*nu, where 'a' is the diameter of the particle, 'U' the velocity of the air stream , and 'nu' the kinematic viscosity of air (units of Stokes [St]).

Then it's just simple kinematics.

Thanks for that Andy,
have managed to do this, but for small low density particles, this doesn't work. I think I need to introduce drag, and terminal velocity, as I know the material l;ess than 5 mm and density of less than 100 kg/m3 with be carried off in the air stream.

How do i include this in my calcs?

Related to Projectile motion or stokes law

1. What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object through the air or in a vacuum under the influence of gravity. It is a combination of horizontal and vertical motion, where the horizontal component remains constant and the vertical component is affected by gravity.

2. How does the angle of launch affect projectile motion?

The angle of launch determines the initial vertical and horizontal velocities of the object, which in turn affects the shape and range of the projectile's trajectory. A steeper angle will result in a higher and shorter trajectory, while a shallower angle will result in a lower and longer trajectory.

3. What is the formula for calculating the range of a projectile?

The formula for calculating the range of a projectile is R = (v0 2 * sin(2θ))/g, where R is the range, v0 is the initial velocity, θ is the launch angle, and g is the acceleration due to gravity. This formula assumes a flat surface and no air resistance.

4. What is Stokes' law?

Stokes' law is a physical law that describes the motion of a small sphere through a viscous fluid. It states that the drag force acting on the sphere is directly proportional to its velocity, the viscosity of the fluid, and the size and shape of the sphere.

5. How is Stokes' law applied in real-world situations?

Stokes' law is commonly used to study the behavior of particles in liquids, such as sedimentation rates in water or the movement of blood cells in the body. It is also used in industries such as pharmaceuticals, where the settling rate of particles in a liquid is important for drug development and production.