Projectile motion of mini cannon ball

In summary: So,tan60 = y/0.4 is not correct. The correct formula is:tan60 = (y/0.693) * cos(theta) * (x-0.693m); y = 0.693m if x = 0.4mvf^2 - vi^2 = 2a(xf-xi)vf^2 - 0 = 2(-9.8m/sT=^2)(0.693m)vf = 3.68 m/s from top of height to groundSo vi = 3.68 m/s.Thus, the velocity of the y component is vy = 3.68 m/s
Thunderer
I am not too sure whether I am doing this correctly.

The problem is basically a mini-cannon aimed at a 60 degree angle, hits a target on the ground 0.8m away. I am suppose to find the initial velocity.

This is what I did:
Cut the distance in half, assuming the mini cannon-ball will reach its maximum height at that point (and v = 0). Which is 0.4 m. I then use trig, and do the following: tan60 = y/0.4; y = 0.693m

vf^2 - vi^2 = 2a(xf-xi)
vf^2 - 0 = 2(-9.8m/sT=^2)(0.693m)
vf = 3.68 m/s from top of height to ground
so vi = 3.68 m/s
So this is the velocity of the y component?

Then:
tan 60 = (3.68 m/s) / x
xtan(60) = 3.68 m/s
x = 3.68/tan60 = 2.12 m/s
v(total)^2 = vy^2 + vx^2 = (3.68 m/s)^2 + (2.12 m/s)^2
v(total) = 4.25 m/s?

Is that correct? Did I do anything wrong?

[I also did this, but I don't think I need it.
vf = vi + at
0 = 3.68 m/s + (-9.8 m/s^2)(t)
t = 0.376 s ]
------

Physics news on Phys.org
The formula for the distance of a projectile with no air resistance is

s = v^2 * sin(2 * theta) /g so v = (s * g / sin(2 * theta)^1/2
s = (.8 * 9.8 / .867)^1/2 = 3 m/s

The time for the projectile to reach max height is v * sin(theta) /g
since vf = vi - gt and vf = 0 at the top of the trajectory
Multiply this by 2 to get total time of flight and t = 2 * v * sin(theta) / g
Also, the total distance traveled is s = v * cos(theta) * t
Substitute the value for t and s = v^2 * 2 * sin(theta) * cos(theta) /g
Since 2 * sin(theta) * cos(theta) = sin(2 * theta) you get the formula
for the distance s =v^2 * sin(theta) / g as stated above

Thunderer said:
This is what I did:
Cut the distance in half, assuming the mini cannon-ball will reach its maximum height at that point (and v = 0). Which is 0.4 m. I then use trig, and do the following: tan60 = y/0.4; y = 0.693m
It is certainly true that the cannonball will reach its maximum height at x = 0.4 m. But it is not true that tan60 = y/0.4. The initial angle of the cannonball's trajectory is 60 degrees, but it moves in a parabolic arc not in a straight line.

Related to Projectile motion of mini cannon ball

1. What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion refers to the curved path that an object takes when it is thrown or launched into the air. This path is a result of the object's initial velocity and the force of gravity acting on it.

2. How is projectile motion of a mini cannon ball different from a regular cannon ball?

The main difference between a mini cannon ball and a regular cannon ball is the size and weight. Mini cannon balls are much smaller and lighter, which means they will have a shorter range and a shorter time of flight compared to a regular cannon ball.

3. What factors affect the projectile motion of a mini cannon ball?

The factors that affect the projectile motion of a mini cannon ball include the initial velocity, angle of launch, air resistance, and the force of gravity. The shape and weight of the mini cannon ball will also have an impact on its trajectory.

4. How can I calculate the range of a mini cannon ball?

The range of a mini cannon ball can be calculated using the projectile motion equation: R = (V²sin2θ)/g, where R is the range, V is the initial velocity, θ is the angle of launch, and g is the acceleration due to gravity. You can also use online calculators or physics software to calculate the range.

5. What is the importance of understanding projectile motion in relation to mini cannon balls?

Understanding projectile motion is crucial when it comes to mini cannon balls as it allows us to predict the trajectory and range of the projectile. This can help us aim and adjust the cannon appropriately, leading to more accurate shots. Additionally, understanding projectile motion can also help in optimizing the design and performance of mini cannons.