How High Does the Rock Go When Thrown from a Building?

In summary: anyway, in summary, the rock reaches a maximum height of 16.3m above the ground, and the final y-velocity is -.0025m/s.
EaGlE
A man stands on the roof of a building of height 16.3m and throws a rock with a velocity of magnitude 31.6m/s at an angle of 28.1 degrees above the horizontal. You can ignore air resistance

A.) Calculate the maximum height above the roof reached by the rock. Take free fall acceleration to be 9.80 m/s^2.

ok first i found vectors x and y at 28.1 degrees
cos(28)*31.6 = vector x
sin(28)*31.6 = vector y

x = 27.8752
y= 14.883

using this formula:
x(t) = x(0) + v(0)t + 1/2at^2
x(t) = 16.3 + (31.6m/s)t + 1/2(-9.8)t^2 <--- is that right how i set it up? is a a negative or positive number? and will there be two times? i know I am doing something wrong, i just don't know what...if i solve for t now, there will be two times, which i don't know what to do with it.

B.) Calculate the magnitude of the velocity of the rock just before it strikes the ground. Take free fall acceleration to be 9.80 m/s^2

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Here are some hints:

Remember,
[tex] V_{y} = V_{o}\sin(\theta) [/tex]
[tex] V_{x} = V_{o}\cos(\theta) [/tex]
[tex] V_{y} = 0 [/tex] at max height
[tex] V_{x} [/tex] is constant (this means same value always)

x(t) = 16.3 + (31.6m/s)t + 1/2(9.8)t^2 <--- is that right how i set it up? is a a negative or positive number? and will there be two times? i know I am doing something wrong, i just don't know what...

9.8 must be put -9.8 because is pointing down that acceleration. And also plug in your [tex] V_{y} [/tex] value instead of just the initial [tex] V_{o} [/tex]. Remember Projectile Motion it's just a mix of Free Fall Motion with Constant Velocity Motion. Read the hints!.

-Cyclovenom

Last edited:
anyway, i solved for t and got 0,6.4489s

then plugged t in the position formula agian
x(t) = x(0) + v(0)t + 1/2at^2
and got 16.30251507
but the problem only wants the part above the buliding, so i minus 16.3 from it and got .0025 is that correct? (seems incorrect)

To find the maximum height, you should only be concerned with motion in the y-direction. Physically, you want to think of how long will it take for gravity to slow down the ball until it stops. Once you find this time, you can plug it in the y analog the equation you have in part a to find the maximum height.

In part b, you want to first calculate the y component of velocity as it hits the ground. When the rock is thrown upward and then comes back down to the initial height (16.3m), you should recognize the velocity in the y-direction (vy) at that point has the same numerical value as the initital vy but is negative since it's heading downward. You can use the following equation to find the final vy:

[tex]v_{y}^2 = v_{yo}^2 + 2.0 a_{y}(y-yo)[/tex]

Now, using vx which doesn't change throughout the motion, you can now solve for the velocity magnitude

Ok let me give you a little help.

[tex] Y_{max} : [/tex]
[tex] V_{y} = 0 [/tex]
So using this equation:
[tex] V = V_{o} + at [/tex]
[tex] 0 = V_{y} - gt_{max} [/tex]
[tex] t_{max} = \frac{V_{y}}{g} [/tex]

Now using this equation:
[tex] Y = Y_{o} + V_{o}t + \frac{1}{2}at^2 [/tex]
[tex] Y_{max} = Y_{0} + V_{y}t_{max} -\frac{1}{2}gt_{max}^2 [/tex]

Combining Equations:
[tex] Y_{max} = Y_{0} + V_{y}\frac{V_{y}}{g} - \frac{1}{2}g(\frac{V_{y}}{g})^2 [/tex]

[tex] Y_{max} = Y_{0} + \frac{V_{y}^2}{g} -\frac{1}{2}\frac{V_{y}^2}{g} [/tex]

-Cyclovenom

Last edited:

Related to How High Does the Rock Go When Thrown from a Building?

1. What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object through the air that is affected by gravity and air resistance. It follows a curved path known as a parabola.

2. How is the motion of a rock different from other projectiles?

The motion of a rock is different from other projectiles because it is not thrown with a specific initial velocity. It is instead launched with a random or unknown velocity, making its motion unpredictable.

3. How does air resistance affect the projectile motion of a rock?

Air resistance can greatly affect the projectile motion of a rock by slowing it down and causing it to follow a shorter, wider parabolic path. This is because air resistance creates a force that opposes the motion of the rock, leading to a decrease in its velocity.

4. What factors can affect the trajectory of a rock's projectile motion?

The trajectory of a rock's projectile motion can be affected by several factors, including the initial velocity, the angle of launch, the mass and shape of the rock, and external forces such as air resistance and wind.

5. How is the distance traveled by a rock in projectile motion related to the initial velocity and angle of launch?

The distance traveled by a rock in projectile motion is directly proportional to the initial velocity and the sine of the angle of launch. This means that the higher the initial velocity and the larger the angle of launch, the farther the rock will travel before hitting the ground.