Projectile Motion- Need help with equations to use for a falling object

In summary, the trebuchet misfires and its 450kg projectile falls from the sling at the vertical height of the firing arm. The force of the projectile hitting the ground is 4410N. To calculate the time it takes for the projectile to fall to the ground, kinematics equations must be used. For the second question, the equation x(final)= x(initial) + v(initial)t + (1/2)(-9.8)t^2 can be used to solve for time. For the third question, the equation can be used to solve for the extra length of the sling line.
Cav101

Homework Statement

A trebuchet misfires and its 450kg projectile falls from the sling at the vertical height of the firing arm,

1) What force will the projectile hit the ground?

2) If the trebuchet is 5.40m tall with the firing arm in the vertical position, how long will the projectile take to fall to the ground?

3) If the trebuchet is reloaded and fired again, with a misfire occurring with the sling fully above the firing arm. If it takes 1.21s to hit the ground, what is the extra length of the sling line?

m=450kg
g=9.8
height=5.40m
time (Q3) 1.21s

Homework Equations

I'm not sure of the equations to use, that's why I'm asking. I can do the questions once I know how to use the equation

The Attempt at a Solution

1) F=ma= 450x9.8=4410N ?
2&3 I don't know how to do

Physics news on Phys.org
from what i see you did number 1) correct but to do numbers 2) and 3) you must use the kinematics equations

2) solve for time when:
t=?
x=0m
x(initial)=5.40m
v(initial)=0
a=-9.8m/s^2

Paulie323 is correct. Plug his numbers into x(final)= x(initial) + v(initial)t + (1/2)(-9.8)t^2. Use quadratic. Simply plug in for t instead of x for 3.

Related to Projectile Motion- Need help with equations to use for a falling object

1. What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object that is launched into the air and then moves along a curved path under the influence of gravity.

2. What are the equations used for projectile motion?

The equations used for projectile motion are the equations of motion, which include:
- v = u + at
- s = ut + 0.5at^2
- v^2 = u^2 + 2as
- s = 0.5(v + u)t
where v is final velocity, u is initial velocity, a is acceleration, t is time, and s is displacement.

3. How does gravity affect projectile motion?

Gravity is the force that pulls an object towards the center of the Earth. In projectile motion, gravity affects the object by constantly pulling it downwards, causing it to accelerate towards the ground.

4. What is the difference between horizontal and vertical motion in projectile motion?

Horizontal motion in projectile motion is the motion of the object along the x-axis, while vertical motion is the motion along the y-axis. The two motions are independent of each other, meaning that the horizontal motion is not affected by the vertical motion and vice versa.

5. How can I calculate the maximum height and range of a projectile?

To calculate the maximum height, you can use the equation:
- h = (u^2 sin^2θ)/2g
where h is the maximum height, u is the initial velocity, θ is the angle of launch, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.
To calculate the range, you can use the equation:
- R = (u^2 sin2θ)/g
where R is the range.