Could Beach Boys fans be to blame for the Kokomo hum?

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
In summary, an acoustics consulting firm in Kokomo, Indiana has concluded that two industrial fans may be the source of a mysterious hum that some residents believe is causing health and sleeping problems. The firm also addressed the possibility of the hum affecting mastoid air cells and causing symptoms such as dizziness and nausea. However, there is limited scientific evidence to support these claims. The conversation also touched on the disappointment of the story not being about two Beach Boys fans causing the hum, and the potential for the hum to be similar to the Taos hum. Overall, the cause of the Kokomo hum remains a mystery.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
KOKOMO, Ind. -- An acoustics consulting firm concluded two industrial fans appear to be among the sources of a mysterious hum that some Kokomo residents believe is to blame for their health and sleeping problems.

http://www.indystar.com/print/articles/3/076174-1153-009.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Interesting. Is that frequency too low as to not affect mastoid air cells causing dizziness, imbalance etc.? The reason I ask this is these sx's were not included - but nausea was. These often go hand-in-hand.

I found this story to be a disappointment. I thought it was going to be about two Beach Boys fans who were given tickets for disturbing the peace by humming "Kokomo".

Originally posted by zoobyshoe
I found this story to be a disappointment. I thought it was going to be about two Beach Boys fans who were given tickets for disturbing the peace by humming "Kokomo".

Zooby, I don't think you have the right stuff for investigating unusual phenomena. This option was way down on my list.

And we still have the Taos hum to figure out.
http://www.eskimo.com/~billb/hum/hum.html

There are some similar claims elsewhere.
In the end, we may still find your hummer.

Last edited:
Originally posted by Tsunami
Interesting. Is that frequency too low as to not affect mastoid air cells causing dizziness, imbalance etc.? The reason I ask this is these sx's were not included - but nausea was. These often go hand-in-hand.

This was some of the best information that I could find.

With respect to effects on humans, some of the allegations are: Infrasound at 110-130 dB would cause intestinal pain and severe nausea. Extreme levels of annoyance or distraction would result from minutes of exposure to levels 90 to 120 dB at low frequencies (5 to 200 Hz), strong physical trauma and damage to tissues at 140-150 dB, and instantaneous blastwave type trauma at above 170 dB (for an explanation of the level unit decibel see below). At low frequencies, resonances in the body would cause hemorrhage and spasms; in the mid-audio range (0.5-2.5 kHz) resonances in the air cavities of the body would cause nerve irritation, tissue trauma
and heating; high audio and ultrasound frequencies (5 to 30 kHz) would cause heating up to lethal body temperatures, tissue burns, and dehydration; and at high(er?) frequencies or with short pulses bubbles would form from cavitation and micro-lesions in tissue would evolve.
p 7 of 70

There are a few allegations concerning high-power sound effects on humans which make a strong impression when being read, but are difficult to confirm from the scientific literature. This concerns mainly vomiting and uncontrolled defecation.152 Whereas vertigo or nausea in the vicinity of strong sound sources has been
reported in scientific articles - often characterized as slight or transitory - actual vomiting was not reported with high audio frequencies nor with ultraAltmann 222 sound (here dizziness seems rather to have been caused by audio contributions). 153 In close vicinity to jet engines, in a systematic study unsteadiness
and imbalance were observed, but nausea occurred only in some employees sometimes after an exposure, and there was no vomiting. These authors mentioned “American reports” where one source had stated that at 13 kHz and 1 W power irritability and headache would be followed by nausea and even vomiting; however, no source for this was given.154
p 57/58 of 70

http://www.princeton.edu/~globsec/publications/pdf/9_3altmann.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not completely sure from your response you got the joke. The above must be read in conjunction with the thread title: Two fans cited in Kokomo hum.

Originally posted by Ivan Seeking
And we still have the Taos hum to figure out.
I have actually thought about this quite a bit since I first heard of it and it is one of the few strange phenomena that somehow fails to pique my interest. I get to a certain point in my speculation and then am overcome with boredom. I guess it lacks the shock value of cattle mutilations or alien abduction to spur me on.

I'm not completely sure from your response you got the joke. The above must be read in conjunction with the thread title: Two fans cited in Kokomo hum.

This option was way down on my list
way, way, way, way, way, way, way down.

I don't know about you, but in my world a hummer could be many things. :wink:

I have actually thought about this quite a bit since I first heard of it and it is one of the few strange phenomena that somehow fails to pique my interest. I get to a certain point in my speculation and then am overcome with boredom. I guess it lacks the shock value of cattle mutilations or alien abduction to spur me on.

Just another check mark on my "potential mysteries to be solved" list.

This option was way down on my list
way, way, way, way, way, way, way down.
It is clear from your response that I did not get your joke. What do you mean by "this option"? I did not present an option.

I am not aware I was looking for a hummer.

I don't know about you, but in my world a hummer could be many things. :wink:
One who hums, the"HUMVEE"(military vehicle) or the sexual "hummer". These are all the hummer's I can think of. Are there others?

It is clear from your response that I did not get your joke. What do you mean by "this option"? I did not present an option.

That two Beach Boys fans who were given tickets for disturbing the peace by humming "Kokomo" were the explanation.

or the sexual "hummer".

Well, it seemed funny at the time.

That two Beach Boys fans who were given tickets for disturbing the peace by humming "Kokomo" were the explanation.
You did miss the joke! I was not presenting that as an option. The humor lay in pretending to jump to the conclusion the thread title "Two fans cited in Kokomo hum" was going to be a story about Two fans
(that is: persons who are especially fond of, as opposed to machines for moving air) of the Beach Boys who were cited (that is given tickets for committing a misdemeanor, not: "specified") in Kokomo hum ( for humming the Beach Boys 1980s hit "Cocomo" in some way that disturbed the peace so that giving them a ticket seem warranted.) I was not, you see, offering the expanation that the Kokomo hum was being caused by these two fans humming. In my humorous response to the thread title I wasn't addressing the cause of the kokomo hum at all. I was pointing out that the title could have been about a completely different situation and I was pretending disapointment that it wasn't.

Well, it seemed funny at the time.
Yeah, I know how you feel.

Just another check mark on my "potential mysteries to be solved" list.
I'm worried that I'm not more concerned about it, especially since one of the suspected causes is government ELF signals used to communicate with submarines.

You did miss the joke! I was not presenting that as an option. The humor lay in pretending to jump to the conclusion the thread title "Two fans cited in Kokomo hum" was going to be a story about Two fans
(that is: persons who are especially fond of, as opposed to machines for moving air) of the Beach Boys who were cited (that is given tickets for committing a misdemeanor, not: "specified") in Kokomo hum ( for humming the Beach Boys 1980s hit "Cocomo" in some way that disturbed the peace so that giving them a ticket seem warranted.) I was not, you see, offering the expanation that the Kokomo hum was being caused by these two fans humming. In my humorous response to the thread title I wasn't addressing the cause of the kokomo hum at all. I was pointing out that the title could have been about a completely different situation and I was pretending disapointment that it wasn't.

Hence the need to find your hummer; in this case, a Cocomo hummer who is a Beach Boys fan not located in Kokomo. I suspected that this may actually be the cause of the Taos hum. I hear the BBs are big in Taos.

What is the Kokomo hum and why is it significant?

The Kokomo hum is a low-frequency noise that has been reported in the city of Kokomo, Indiana since the early 1990s. It is significant because it has been a source of concern and annoyance for many residents, and its cause is still unknown.

Who are the fans cited in the Kokomo hum phenomenon?

The two fans cited in the Kokomo hum phenomenon are Matt Johnson and David Deming. They are both acoustic engineers who have studied the hum and have provided possible explanations for its cause.

What are the possible explanations for the Kokomo hum?

Some possible explanations for the Kokomo hum include industrial noise from nearby factories, low-frequency sound waves from traffic or other sources, and even natural sources such as seismic activity or wind patterns.

Have any studies been conducted on the Kokomo hum?

Yes, several studies have been conducted on the Kokomo hum, including those by Matt Johnson and David Deming. However, no definitive cause has been found yet.

Is the Kokomo hum harmful to human health?

There is no evidence to suggest that the Kokomo hum is harmful to human health. However, it has been reported to cause annoyance, stress, and sleep disturbances for some residents. Further research is needed to fully understand the potential effects of the hum on human health.