Projectile motion including drag

In summary, Daniel is working on projectile motion and air friction. He has run into a bit of a wall in terms of the calculations, and is looking for help. He has shown the problem to a friend, who gave him a strange tangent function for V(t). Eventually, he wants to create a model for the projectile's motion, but first needs to get this part right.
villiami
I have been working with projectile motion, and I am just starting to add air friction (drag) into the equations. I've run into a bit of a wall in terms of the calculations, so any help would be appriciated.

For a projectile, F(drag)=-c.V^2, where c is a constant (which can be written in terms of cross-sectional area, etc.)

Therefore: Acc(drag)=-c.V^2/(mass)

When I write an expression for vertical velocity [V(t)] at a given time [t], I get:

V(t) = V(initial) - 9.8t - (c/m). INTEGRAL{ [V(t)]^2 }dt

I then look at this equation and have trouble writting V(t) without an integral (or derivative for that matter).
I showed the problem to a friend, who gave me a strange tangent function for V(t), which I can't quite get my head around, as there is no mention of angles at this stage.

Maybe I'm on the wrong track, or maybe my calculus skills aren't quite up to scratch. Eventually I want to create a model for the projectile's motion (in terms of x and y), but first I need to get this part right.
Thanks for any help.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know how to separate variables in a differential equation?

Daniel.

Yes I realized that this is what I need to do to solve it (this resulted in an arctan funtion, which when rearranged gave me a tangent function for velocity). However, I was unsure how the tangent came out, and when I graphed the resulting function it did not look right. That's why I'm looking for some pointers.
Thanks,
villiami

This is your ODE

[tex] \frac{dv}{dt}=g -c \cdot v^{2} [/tex]

and you need to find [itex] v(t) [/itex] maybe with a initial condition giving the speed at t=0.

Daniel.

This then gives me [V is used instead of V(t)]:
dV/(g-cV^2)=dt
dV/[c(g/c-V^2)]=dt
INTEGRAL{1/c(g/c-V^2)}dV=INTEGRAL.dt
(1/sqrt[-g/c]).arctan(-Vc/g) = -cx + k; k is another constant
which eventually turns into:
V = (-g/c).tan{t.sqrt[-gc] + k.sqrt[-g/c]}
this doesn't seem to make sense when I draw the graph (I expected a curve with an asymptote at some terminal velocity)
Thanks,
Villiami
PS: how can I insert a formula? it takes me ages to write them in manually

Last edited:
We use Latex, basically write the code and let the compiler do the rest.

Daniel.

Related to Projectile motion including drag

1. What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object through the air that is subject to only the force of gravity and air resistance. This type of motion is often seen in objects that are thrown or launched, such as a baseball or a rocket.

2. How does drag affect projectile motion?

Drag, also known as air resistance, is a force that acts in the opposite direction of the motion of an object through the air. This force can slow down the projectile and change its trajectory, causing it to fall shorter or curve to one side.

3. How is drag calculated in projectile motion?

The drag force on an object in projectile motion can be calculated using the equation Fd = 1/2 * ρ * v^2 * Cd * A, where ρ is the density of air, v is the velocity of the object, Cd is the drag coefficient, and A is the cross-sectional area of the object.

4. Can drag be ignored in projectile motion?

In most cases, drag cannot be ignored in projectile motion. The magnitude of the drag force depends on the speed and size of the object, as well as the density of the air. For objects moving at high speeds or with a large surface area, drag can have a significant impact on their motion.

5. How can drag be reduced in projectile motion?

To reduce the effects of drag in projectile motion, objects can be designed with a more streamlined shape to minimize their cross-sectional area. Additionally, increasing the velocity of the object can also help to overcome the drag force and allow for a longer, straighter trajectory.