Projectile motion, I cannot figure out how to do this

In summary, the conversation discusses solving a physics problem involving a footballer kicking a ball and finding the time it was in the air and the maximum height reached. Trigonometric functions are used to solve the problem and the final solution is confirmed to be correct. The conversation also includes a correction to a previous solution attempt.
deagle12

Homework Statement

The problem is, "A footballer kicked a ball up at 50 degrees and it landed 20m away horizontaly", assuming vertical acceleration is -9.81ms-2 how would you find the time it was in the air and the max height reached.

How would you solve this?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Various trigonometric functions, if you need more detail please tell me.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
well you know that when it lands s_j =0
s0 s_i=20=v*cos(50) and S_j=0=vsin(50)t-9.81*.5*t^2
you now have a system of simultaneous equations... solve it
i get t=2.2s and v_init=14.11m/s
For max height.
at max height v_j=0
v_j=0^2=u^2+2as where u= vertical cmpt of v_init(14.11sin(50)) and a=-9.81,/s^2
0=(14.11sin(50))^2-2*9.81s solve
i get s=5.95m

can you let me know if this is right or useful please.

Well, first you have to have velocity, to even begin this. We know when it lands, it is going 0 m/s. So vf= 0 m/s. Now, once you find Vi, you will need to divide that up into vertical and horizontal components of velocity. (cos * theta, sin * theta)

Once you do that, you can find the time in air with
d=vft + 1/2at2

You have your horizontal distance, now solve for t.
I'm not sure you could use vf= vi + at could work for t, because of the lack of distance. But if you did use that, t would NOT BE THE TOTAL TIME IN THE AIR. It would be the time it takes to get to the max height of the projectile. So you would have to multiply it by 2.

No GreatEscapist that is not correct. Any high school physics text will tell you that all projectiles have a final velocity that is equal to the initial horizontal component + a vertical component relative to the acceleration(assuming no air drag). use the information i gave you it is correct.

Dang it. :P
Well, I tried. Sorry about that. At least now I know I need to brush up on my projectile motion. :S

Apart from the missing t here "s_i=20=v*cos(50)" , your solution is correct. Good job !

ehild

Related to Projectile motion, I cannot figure out how to do this

1. What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion refers to the curved path an object takes when it is thrown or launched into the air at an angle. This motion is a combination of horizontal and vertical motion influenced by gravity.

2. How do I calculate the initial velocity of a projectile?

The initial velocity of a projectile can be calculated using the equation v0 = v*cos(theta), where v is the initial velocity of the object, and theta is the angle at which the object is launched.

3. How do I find the maximum height of a projectile?

The maximum height of a projectile can be found using the equation hmax = (v*sin(theta))^2/2g, where v is the initial velocity of the object, theta is the launch angle, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

4. Can I neglect air resistance in projectile motion?

In most cases, air resistance can be neglected in projectile motion calculations. However, if the object is moving at high speeds or over long distances, air resistance may need to be taken into account.

5. How do I calculate the range of a projectile?

The range of a projectile can be calculated using the equation R = (v^2*sin(2*theta))/g, where v is the initial velocity of the object, theta is the launch angle, and g is the acceleration due to gravity. This gives the horizontal distance traveled by the object before it hits the ground.