Projectile Motion: How tall is the building?

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the height of a building based on the distance a ball thrown horizontally at 12.4m/s from the roof of the building lands. The equations used are x=x0+vx0t for horizontal motion and y=y0+vy0(t)-.5at^2 for vertical motion. By plugging in the given values of x, x0, y0, vx0, and a, the time and height of the building can be calculated. After some discussion and clarification, the height is determined to be approximately 13.0034 meters.
SamL

Homework Statement

A ball thrown horizontally at 12.4m/s from the roof of a building lands 20.2m from the base of the building. How tall is the building?

Homework Equations

I think I'm supposed to use these:
horizontal motion: x=x0+vx0t
vertical motion: y=y0=+vy0(t)-.5at^2

The Attempt at a Solution

So this is what I think goes where:
x=20.2
x0= 0
y0= 0
vy0=12.4
a= -9.8
I plugged them in but I'm not sure if they're even in the right spot. After I plug them in I have no idea where to go from there. Please help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Horizontal motion is not accelerated or decelerated here. So, if you know the distance horizontally and the velocity horizontally, you can calculate time. From there you can figure out the height

In your solution, you put vy0 as the 12 m/s but it should be vx0

I got the time as approx. 1.6290. Is that right? I plugged the time into the vertical equation and got approx. y=-5.8067

SamL said:
I got the time as approx. 1.6290. Is that right? I plugged the time into the vertical equation and got approx. y=-5.8067

Right time. How did you manage to get that y value though? Show what you plugged into what.

I have y=y0+vyo(t)+.5at^2
Then I plugged in y=0+12.4t+.5(-9.8)t^2
Which then becomes y=12.4t+.5(-9.8)t^2
I then plugged in the time, so y=12.4+.5(-9.8)(1.6290)

SamL said:
I have y=y0+vyo(t)+.5at^2
Then I plugged in y=0+12.4t+.5(-9.8)t^2
Which then becomes y=12.4t+.5(-9.8)t^2
I then plugged in the time, so y=12.4+.5(-9.8)(1.6290)

12.4 m/s is vx0. What's vy0? It says 'thrown horizontally'.

So it's 0 m/s instead of 12.4?

For vy0, yes it is 0 m/s.

So it's 0 m/s instead of 12.4 m/s?

Sorry I didn't mean to post that twice. So I got approx. 13.0034 for the height of the building. Is that correct?

Looks good ;)

Thank you guys so much!

NP. Glad you got it :P

Related to Projectile Motion: How tall is the building?

1. What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object that is projected into the air and then moves under the force of gravity.

2. How is the height of a building calculated using projectile motion?

The height of a building can be calculated using projectile motion by measuring the time it takes for an object to fall from the top of the building to the ground and using the formula h = 1/2 * g * t^2, where h is the height, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and t is the time.

3. What factors affect the height of a building's projectile motion?

The factors that affect the height of a building's projectile motion include the initial velocity, angle of projection, air resistance, and the acceleration due to gravity.

4. Can projectile motion be used to measure the height of any building?

No, projectile motion can only be used to measure the height of a building if the object being projected has a known initial velocity and the motion is not affected by external factors such as air resistance.

5. How accurate is using projectile motion to measure the height of a building?

The accuracy of using projectile motion to measure the height of a building depends on the accuracy of the initial velocity and the angle of projection, as well as the assumption that the motion is not affected by external factors. Other methods, such as using a measuring tape or laser, may be more accurate.