Projectile Motion Horizontal Displacement Equation

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a single equation to find the horizontal displacement of an object given its initial velocity and projected velocity. The equation x = (2(vi)2sin2[theta])/19.6 is suggested and confirmed by another participant. The question of why there are two different angles is also raised, with the explanation that there are two values for theta that yield the same sine value. The use of units and theta symbol in the equation is also discussed.
ArbazAlam
Homework Statement

A fire hose held near the ground shoots water at a speed of 7.5 m/s. At what angle(s) should the nozzle point in order that the water would land 3.0 m away?

The attempt at a solution

I remember from engineering there was a single equation you could use to find the horizontal displacement of an object given its initial velocity and projected velocity. I tried deriving it and came up with this:

x = (2(vi)2sin2[theta])/19.6

Could somebody please confirm this?

It also asks: Why are there two different angles? I know how to describe this logically, but my teacher usually prefers a more mathematical answer. Would I just say that there are two values for theta that yield the same sine value?

Physics news on Phys.org
ArbazAlam said:
I remember from engineering there was a single equation you could use to find the horizontal displacement of an object given its initial velocity and projected velocity. I tried deriving it and came up with this:

x = (2(vi)2sin2[theta])/19.6

Could somebody please confirm this?

Hi ArbazAlam! :smile:

(have a theta: θ)

Yes, that's right. :smile:

(though why didn't you just say x = (vi)2sin2θ/9.8 ? :wink:)

It also asks: Why are there two different angles? I know how to describe this logically, but my teacher usually prefers a more mathematical answer. Would I just say that there are two values for theta that yield the same sine value?

Yup … that would do … you could even say how the two values are related! :wink:

Thank you! I didn't even notice those units canceled out. And thank you for the theta.

Related to Projectile Motion Horizontal Displacement Equation

1. What is the equation for horizontal displacement in projectile motion?

The equation for horizontal displacement in projectile motion is x = v0 * t, where x is the horizontal displacement, v0 is the initial velocity, and t is the time.

2. How is the horizontal displacement affected by the initial velocity?

The horizontal displacement is directly proportional to the initial velocity. This means that as the initial velocity increases, the horizontal displacement also increases.

3. Is the horizontal displacement affected by the angle of projection?

Yes, the horizontal displacement is affected by the angle of projection. The greater the angle of projection, the greater the horizontal displacement will be.

4. Can the horizontal displacement ever be negative?

Yes, the horizontal displacement can be negative if the projectile is launched at an angle between 90 degrees and 270 degrees. This means that the projectile will land to the left of the launch point.

5. How does air resistance affect the horizontal displacement?

Air resistance can affect the horizontal displacement by slowing down the projectile's speed and altering its trajectory. This can result in a shorter horizontal displacement compared to the theoretical value calculated without air resistance.