Projectile Motion Graphs and Velocity Vector Calculation Homework

In summary: I'm think I'm getting my kinematic equations mixed up again... or my basic algebra.It's not that. Your algebra is fine. Your kinematics equations are fine. You just have to remember that the 30 m/s is not the y-component of the velocity.
bakamanju

Homework Statement

In each case, draw a set of graphs for the vertical and horizontal components of motion. Also draw a motion map of the vertical and horizontal components of motion.

A projectile is launched with a speed of 30 m/s at an angle of 30 degrees. At a point which is ½ the way down from it’s highest point, what is the actual velocity vector (answer includes both magnitude and direction).

Homework Equations

Vox = Vo*cos(theta)
Voy = Vo*sin(theta)
a = Voy - gt
x = Xo + Vot + 1/2(at)^2
v = Vo + at
A + B = Midpoint

The Attempt at a Solution

I drew a vector diagram that helped me find Vox and Voy using the equations listed above. I got Vox = 25.9808 m/s and Voy = 15 m/s.

Then, I got the maximum height at 1.23718 seconds using the Voy equation and then since the half way point is essentially the midpoint of the total time it takes for the projectile to reach the ground, I took the midpoint of the final time and the maximum height time and got 1.85577 seconds.

I'm lost on how to go from here or what I'm to do... Please help if possible?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello Bakamanju,

Welcome to Physics Forums!
bakamanju said:
I drew a vector diagram that helped me find Vox and Voy using the equations listed above. I got Vox = 25.9808 m/s and Voy = 15 m/s.
So far so good. :approve:
Then, I got the maximum height at 1.23718 seconds using the Voy equation
I think 1.23719 seconds is incorrect for the time taken to reach maximum height. But anyway, see below; this problem can be solved without solving for time at all.

by the way, one of your kinematics equations (that you have not listed) will allow you to find the maximum height (in meters) directly. Using that equation will save you a lot of work. (Hint: memorize your basic kinematics equations for uniform acceleration!)
and then since the half way point is essentially the midpoint of the total time it takes for the projectile to reach the ground, I took the midpoint of the final time and the maximum height time and got 1.85577 seconds.
I believe the problem statement is asking for the midpoint in terms of distance, not time.

And the midpoint in distance (from maximum height to ground) does not happen at the midpoint in time (from maximum height to ground). That would be true if the projectile traveled in a triangle shape, but it does not. It travels in a parabola shape.

And by the way, once you calculate the halfway point in terms of distance, there is also a kinematics equation that will let you solve for velocity directly (the y-component, that is). It is possible to solve this problem without ever solving to time at all.

Thank you very much for the assistance. I think I understand it now!

I believe I found the velocity at midpoint of the distance that is traveled by the projectile.

By using (Vfy^2 - Vo^2)/ (2*-9.8 m/s^2), I was able to calculate the maximum height because Vfy would be 0 at the apex of the projectile's distance. I got 45.92 meters for the maximum height.

Do I divide by two to find the midpoint of the vertical distance and use the same equation to solve for velocity (the y component?). I'm think I'm getting my kinematic equations mixed up again... or my basic algebra.

bakamanju said:
By using (Vfy^2 - Vo^2)/ (2*-9.8 m/s^2), I was able to calculate the maximum height because Vfy would be 0 at the apex of the projectile's distance. I got 45.92 meters for the maximum height.
Something is not quite right with 45.92 meters. Your formula is good, but you might not have used it quite right.

I think you might have used 30 m/s for V0y. However, that's not it. 30 m/s is the overall magnitude of the velocity, but the y-component is only part of that. You'll have to multiply that by a trig function to get the y-component of velocity.
Do I divide by two to find the midpoint of the vertical distance and use the same equation to solve for velocity (the y component?).
Yes, that right! :approve:

Related to Projectile Motion Graphs and Velocity Vector Calculation Homework

1. What is projectile motion and how is it represented on a graph?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object that is launched or thrown into the air and moves under the influence of gravity. It is represented on a graph by plotting the object's position (y-axis) against time (x-axis). The resulting graph is a curved line known as a parabola.

2. What are the two main components of projectile motion?

The two main components of projectile motion are horizontal motion and vertical motion. Horizontal motion is constant and is not affected by gravity, while vertical motion is influenced by gravity and causes the object to follow a curved path.

3. How can the shape of a projectile motion graph be used to determine the initial velocity of the object?

The shape of a projectile motion graph can be used to determine the initial velocity of the object by measuring the slope of the line at the start of the motion. The steeper the slope, the greater the initial velocity. This is because the steeper the slope, the faster the object is moving.

4. What is the significance of the maximum height on a projectile motion graph?

The maximum height on a projectile motion graph represents the highest point the object reaches during its motion. This is also known as the apex or the peak. The maximum height can be used to calculate the initial velocity and the total time of flight of the object.

5. How does air resistance affect projectile motion and its representation on a graph?

Air resistance can affect projectile motion by slowing down the object's horizontal and vertical velocities. This results in a shorter range and a lower maximum height for the object. On a graph, air resistance may be represented by a flatter curve as the object does not travel as far or as high as it would without air resistance.