PROJECTILE MOTION - Given values are Horizontal & Verticle distance when time = 4s

In summary, the problem involves determining the velocity of projection (Vo) of an object that covers a vertical distance of 20.0m and a horizontal distance of 25.0m in the 4th second of its motion. After several attempts, the correct solution was found by considering the vertical velocity to be 54.3 m/s and the horizontal velocity to be 25 m/s. This results in a velocity of projection (Vo) of 59.779 m/s at an angle of elevation of 65.278 degrees.
MusePhysick

Homework Statement

An object fired with a velocity of Vo covers a verticle distance of 20.0m and a horizontal distance of 25.0m in the 4th second of its motion. Determine the following:
a) Its velocity of projection, Vo
(the rest I am not going to worry about cos if i get part a) started then i should be fine i just don't know what I am doing wrong)

Homework Equations

ucosθ = x
usinθ = y
v = u + at2
s = ut + 1/2at2
v2 = u2 + 2as
v = s/t

The Attempt at a Solution

ok so I've tried many a times but i think i have a misconception or not seeing what is happening etc.
i know the answer as it is given which is Vo = 59.8 m/s 65.3o (angle between ground and vector)

so it takes 4 seconds for the projectile to be displaced horizontally by 25 m
so by v=s/t
v=25/4
v=6.25
which v is also known as x
so i have x=6.25 m/s

the verticle velocity i found by many ways or tried to but here's one way
s=ut + 1/2at2
s = 20
a = -9.8
t = 4
20 = 4u + 1/2.(9.8).42
98.4 = 4u
u = 24.6 m/s
and in this case u = y
so y=24.6

by pythagoras
Vo2 = y2 + x2
Vo2 = 24.62 + 6.252
Vo = 25.2815
clearly not the answer but i proceeded to find the angle
y = usinθ
θ = 14.255
angle between ground and vector = 90 - 14.255
angle = 75.745 degrees
which is clearly not the case

if you see where I've gone wrong please do tell :)
ive tried many many wasy of getting the projected velocity and nothing seemed to work, I've tried 4 times and that takes a long time

Physics news on Phys.org

sorry i used all caps for the topic, diddnt read the rules properly till it was too late, i do not wish to offend anyone soz

I don't know, but I did the exact same thing as you.

me too. there's seems to be nothing wrong with your method. i can't think of another way of doing it

yeah i found out what was wrong
it says in the 4th second meaning between t=3 and t=4 so it takes 1 second for the ball to reach 20m high and 25m horizontally haha damn english, ill post the answers soon

1. Homework Statement
An object fired with a velocity of Vo covers a verticle distance of 20.0m and a horizontal distance of 25.0m in the 4th second of its motion.(Meaning second 3 to second 4) Determine the following:
a) Its velocity of projection, Vo
(the rest I am not going to worry about cos if i get part a) started then i should be fine i just don't know what I am doing wrong)

Homework Equations

ucosθ = x
usinθ = y
v = u + at
s = ut + 1/2at2
v2 = u2 + 2as
v = s/t

3. The Solution

Vertical Velocity

s = ut + 1/2at2

when t=3
s1 = 3u + ½ X (-9.8) X 32

when t=4
s2 = 4u + ½ X (-9.8) X 42

s2 – s1 = 20m

s2 – s1 = (4u + ½ X (-9.8) X 42) – (3u + ½ X (-9.8) X 32)

20 = 4u – 78.4 – 3u + 44.1
20 = u – 34.3
u = 54.3 m/s
let u = y
y = 54.3 m/s

Horizontal Velocity

v = s/t
v = 25/1
v = 25 m/s
let v =x
x = 25 m/s

Vo

Vo2 = y2 + x2
Vo2 = 54.32 + 252
Vo = 59.779 m/s

tanθ = 54.3/25
θ= 65.278o

Therefore
Vo = 59.779 m/s 65.278o (angle of elevation)

Related to PROJECTILE MOTION - Given values are Horizontal & Verticle distance when time = 4s

1. What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object through the air or space under the force of gravity. It follows a curved path known as a parabola.

2. What factors affect projectile motion?

The factors that affect projectile motion include initial velocity, angle of projection, air resistance, and the force of gravity.

3. How do you calculate horizontal and vertical distance in projectile motion?

To calculate horizontal distance, use the formula d = v*t, where d is the horizontal distance, v is the initial velocity, and t is the time. To calculate vertical distance, use the formula d = (1/2)gt^2, where d is the vertical distance, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2), and t is the time.

4. What is the relationship between time and distance in projectile motion?

In projectile motion, the time and distance are directly proportional. This means that as the time increases, the distance also increases.

5. Can you predict the exact landing point of a projectile?

In most cases, it is difficult to predict the exact landing point of a projectile due to factors such as air resistance and external forces. However, using mathematical formulas and precise measurements, we can make accurate predictions of the landing point.