Projectile Motion football pass

In summary: Vi you were given and the angle. Just find out y for the time the ball was thrown until it landed. That should give you t.actually, you don't even need to solve for time. All you need to find out is the time elapsed from the time the ball was thrown until it landed. Using the projectile formula for y, one can solve for t for the time it left until it landed.In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a football quarterback attempting a pass to a receiver. The quarterback releases the ball 2.0 seconds later from a position 3.0 meters behind the line of scrimmage at a speed of 26m/s and an elevation of 60 degrees. The
DJey

Homework Statement

Just started this course, please bare with me, I am not sure what to do, blanked out

Question: A football quarterback attempts a pass to one of the receivers. As the ball is snapped, the receiver leaves the line of scrimmage and runs directly down the field. the quarterback releases the ball 2.0s later and from a position 3.0m behind the line of scrimmage. he throws the ball at a speed of 26m/s at and elevation of 60 degrees above the horizontal. The receiver makes a diving reception, catching the ball just as it reaches the ground.
a) What is the time of flight of the football?
b)what is the average speed of the receiver ?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi DJey! Welcome to PF! :wink:
DJey said:
… please bare with me …

uhh? it's not that sort of forum! :redface:
Question: A football quarterback attempts a pass to one of the receivers. As the ball is snapped, the receiver leaves the line of scrimmage and runs directly down the field. the quarterback releases the ball 2.0s later and from a position 3.0m behind the line of scrimmage. he throws the ball at a speed of 26m/s at and elevation of 60 degrees above the horizontal. The receiver makes a diving reception, catching the ball just as it reaches the ground.
a) What is the time of flight of the football?
b)what is the average speed of the receiver ?

Use the standard constant acceleration equations …

show us what you get :smile:

thanks alot,
i know when i said please bare with me i really meant guide me through,

You need to find out the time elapsed from the time the ball was thrown until it landed. Using the projectile formula for y, one can solve for t for the time it left until it landed.

y=(Vi)sin(angle)t-1/2gt^2

I would approach this problem by breaking it down into smaller components and using the principles of projectile motion to analyze the situation.

First, we can determine the initial velocity of the football using the given speed and angle of release. Using basic trigonometry, we can calculate the horizontal and vertical components of the velocity. The horizontal component will remain constant throughout the motion, while the vertical component will change due to the force of gravity.

Next, we can use the equations of motion to calculate the time of flight of the football. Since we know the initial vertical velocity, the acceleration due to gravity, and the final vertical position (ground level), we can solve for the time.

a) The time of flight of the football can be calculated using the formula t = (2v*sinθ)/g, where v is the initial velocity and θ is the angle of release. Plugging in the values, we get t = (2*26*sin60)/9.8 = 3.33 seconds.

b) To calculate the average speed of the receiver, we can use the formula v = d/t, where d is the distance traveled and t is the time of flight calculated in part a. The distance traveled by the receiver can be calculated by subtracting the initial position of the football (3.0m) from the final position (ground level). So, d = 0 - 3.0 = -3.0m. Plugging in the values, we get v = -3.0/3.33 = 0.9 m/s.

In conclusion, the time of flight of the football is 3.33 seconds and the average speed of the receiver is 0.9 m/s. These calculations assume an ideal situation with no air resistance or other external factors. In reality, the actual values may differ slightly.

Related to Projectile Motion football pass

1. How does the angle of a football pass affect its distance?

The angle of a football pass plays a crucial role in determining its distance. The ideal angle for maximum distance is 45 degrees. This angle allows the ball to travel the farthest without being affected by air resistance.

2. How does the initial velocity of a football pass impact its trajectory?

The initial velocity, or the speed at which the ball is thrown, also affects the trajectory of a football pass. The higher the initial velocity, the farther the ball will travel. However, a higher initial velocity also means a flatter trajectory, which may make the pass easier to intercept by the opposing team.

3. What factors affect the horizontal distance of a football pass?

The horizontal distance of a football pass is affected by various factors such as the initial velocity, angle of the pass, air resistance, and the force applied by the thrower. Other factors like wind speed and direction can also impact the horizontal distance of the pass.

4. How does air resistance affect a football pass?

Air resistance, also known as drag, can significantly affect the flight of a football pass. As the ball travels through the air, it collides with air molecules, which creates a force that slows down the ball and alters its trajectory. This is why football passes often have a curved path rather than a straight one.

5. How does the force applied to a football pass impact its distance?

The force applied to a football pass is directly proportional to its distance. The harder the throw, the farther the ball will travel. However, it is essential to maintain a balance between force and accuracy to ensure a successful pass. Too much force can result in an inaccurate pass, while too little force may not allow the ball to reach its intended target.