Projectile Motion, finding g on a planet

In summary, an astronaut on a strange planet can jump a maximum horizontal distance of 10.0 m with an initial speed of 2.40 m/s. The free-fall acceleration on the planet can be found by using the position functions in the x and y directions and solving for t, which is 5.89 seconds. The final vertical position, y_f, is given in the question and can be used to solve for g.
steph35

Homework Statement

An astronaut on a strange planet finds that she can jump a maximum horizontal distance of 10.0 m if her initial speed is 2.40 m/s.

Homework Equations

What is the free-fall acceleration on the planet? (Ignore air resistance.)

The Attempt at a Solution

So in order to this I used both position functions in the x and y directions to get. x_f= 2.40(cos45)t and y_f= 2.40(sin45)t-(1/2)gt^2. i solved for t to get the time which is t= 5.89 seconds. and then now i know i have to find y_f so then i can plug it in and find g! but how am i supposed to find y_f without a equation that is also dependent on g?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi steph35! :smile:
steph35 said:
An astronaut on a strange planet finds that she can jump a maximum horizontal distance of 10.0 m if her initial speed is 2.40 m/s.

but how am i supposed to find y_f … ?

erm … it's obvious what yf is :wink: … it's given in the question, isn't it? :rolleyes:

To find the free-fall acceleration on the planet, we can use the equation y_f = y_i + v_iy*t + (1/2)gt^2, where y_i is the initial height (in this case, the height of the astronaut when she starts her jump), v_iy is the initial velocity in the y-direction (in this case, 2.40*sin45), and t is the time calculated in your attempt. By substituting these values and solving for g, we can find the free-fall acceleration on the planet. It is important to note that the value of g may be different on this planet compared to Earth, as it depends on the mass and radius of the planet.

Related to Projectile Motion, finding g on a planet

1. What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object in a curved path due to the influence of gravity. It is a combination of horizontal and vertical motion, where the object moves horizontally at a constant speed and falls vertically due to the force of gravity.

2. How is the acceleration due to gravity (g) calculated on a planet?

The acceleration due to gravity (g) on a planet can be calculated using the equation g = GM/r^2, where G is the gravitational constant, M is the mass of the planet, and r is the distance between the object and the center of the planet.

3. How does the value of g vary on different planets?

The value of g varies on different planets depending on their mass and radius. The larger the mass and radius of a planet, the higher the value of g will be. For example, the value of g on Earth is 9.8 m/s^2, while on the Moon it is 1.6 m/s^2.

4. Can the value of g change on a planet?

Yes, the value of g can change on a planet. It depends on the altitude and location on the planet's surface. For example, at higher altitudes, the value of g decreases due to the increase in distance from the planet's center. Additionally, the value of g can also vary on a planet's surface due to differences in density and composition.

5. How is the angle of projection related to the range of a projectile?

The angle of projection and the range of a projectile are directly related. The range of a projectile is maximum when it is projected at a 45-degree angle. As the angle of projection increases or decreases from 45 degrees, the range decreases. This is because a 45-degree angle has the optimal balance between horizontal and vertical motion.