Projectile Motion (find theta)

Yes, in summary, the problem involves finding the initial projection angle of a projectile based on its speed at maximum height and half maximum height. This can be done by decomposing the velocity vector and using the fact that at the top point, the vertical component of velocity is zero. From there, the ratio of the initial speed to the speed at half maximum height can be used to solve for the initial projection angle.
bengavinb20

Homework Statement

The speed of a projectile when it reaches its maximum height is 0.31 times its speed when it is at half its maximum height. What is the initial projection angle of the projectile?

Homework Equations

h=(Vi^2 * sin^2 θ) / 2g

R=(Vi^2 * sin2θ) / g

The Attempt at a Solution

I realize that i need to somehow come up with a ratio and set the two equal to each other. However, I'm having difficulty with the initial step. Maybe I could get a hint that could set me on the right track?

Physics news on Phys.org
Decompose the velocity vector.
At the top which component of velocity is zero?
Use this idea to find the ratio. As you mentioned

So after decomposing the velocity vector I got:

Vi = -yf-at2 /t

Plugging that into the equation for h...

h= ((-yf-at2)2*(sin2θ)) / 2g

and then

0.5h = 0.31((-yf-at2)2*(sin2θ)) / 2g

Am I on the right track?

You see at the top point V is just Vx so can you relate this to the given information.

I'm sorry for late response I got lectures :)
So you still solving the problem?

Related to Projectile Motion (find theta)

1. What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object that is launched into the air and then moves under the influence of gravity. It follows a curved path known as a parabola.

2. How is the angle of projection (theta) related to the range of a projectile?

The angle of projection, theta, is the angle at which the object is launched into the air. It has a direct impact on the range of the projectile. The greater the angle, the farther the projectile will travel. However, there is an optimal angle of projection that will result in the maximum range.

3. How do you find the angle of projection (theta) for a given projectile?

The angle of projection can be found using the formula theta = arctan (v02 * sin(2 * alpha) / g), where v0 is the initial velocity of the projectile, alpha is the angle at which the projectile is launched, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

4. What are the factors that affect the trajectory of a projectile?

The trajectory of a projectile is affected by several factors including the initial velocity, angle of projection, air resistance, and the force of gravity. The shape and mass of the object can also have an impact on the trajectory.

5. How is the motion of a projectile different in a vacuum compared to air resistance?

In a vacuum, there is no air resistance, so the projectile will follow a perfect parabolic path. However, in the presence of air resistance, the projectile will experience a decrease in its horizontal velocity and will follow a slightly curved path known as a projectile with air resistance.