Projectile Motion: Deriving 2g^2

In summary, the homework statement is trying to solve for the vertical velocity of a projectile, but is having trouble doing so.
Klaz

Homework Statement

Show that for a projectile d^2 (v^2)/dt^2 = 2g^2

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Since we are only dealing with the y component for this. 2nd derivative would be 2. But since gravity acts on it then d^2 (v^2)/dt^2 = 2g. I don't get how to get to 2g^2. Can someone help me please.

Physics news on Phys.org
Klaz said:

Homework Statement

Show that for a projectile d^2 (v^2)/dt^2 = 2g^2

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Since we are only dealing with the y component for this. 2nd derivative would be 2. But since gravity acts on it then d^2 (v^2)/dt^2 = 2g. I don't get how to get to 2g^2. Can someone help me please.
Start with a general expression for the vertical velocity of a projectile.

Step by step. What's the first derivative of v^2?

Doc Al said:
Step by step. What's the first derivative of v^2?
First derivative would be 2v.

gneill said:
Start with a general expression for the vertical velocity of a projectile.
Vertical velocity = v - at. I am still confuse on what to do with this equation. Since dv/dt = a.

Klaz said:
If Vy=v^2-gt then the first would be dv/dt = 2v-g.

Klaz said:
That's not complete. In that equation v is a function of time, so apply the chain rule.

Klaz said:
Vertical velocity = v - at. I am still confuse on what to do with this equation. Since dv/dt = a.
that would be ##v = v_o - g t##. Square both sides so that you have an expression for v2. Then do your derivatives. Remember that dv/dt = g.

Klaz said:
If Vy=v^2-gt then the first would be dv/dt = 2v-g.
I don't know where you got that expression for Vy. It's not correct.

Klaz said:

It's your maths that's letting you down here. I don't think you understand what is being asked. You are asked to differentiate ##v^2##. Not ##v##.

I would first work out what ##v^2## is. That seems logical to me: you are asked to differentiate ##v^2##, with respect to time (twice). So, let's first have ##v^2## as a function of ##t##.

##v^2 = \dots ##

Can you do that?

Klaz said:
As gneill already pointed out, that is not complete.

What you found is the first derivative with respect to v. But what you need is the first derivative with respect to t. So, keep going. (Think chain rule.)

If I apply chain rule. Let u=(v-gt)^1/2. Then : dv/dt = (u)^1/2
dv/dt = du/dt × dv/du = -g/2 (v-gt)^1/2. Am I on the right track? Then my next step would be to differentiate my answer again.

Klaz said:
If I apply chain rule. Let u=(v-gt)^1/2. Then : dv/dt = (u)^1/2
dv/dt = du/dt × dv/du = -g/2 (v-gt)^1/2. Am I on the right track? Then my next step would be to differentiate my answer again.
Why not start with what you were given?

Let u = v^2
du/dt = du/dv * dv/dt.

Hint: What is dv/dt for a projectile?

Doc Al said:
Why not start with what you were given?

Let u = v^2
du/dt = du/dv * dv/dt.

Hint: What is dv/dt for a projectile?
du/dt = 2v * -g = -2vg.
2nd derivative:
du/dt = -2g * - g = 2g^2.
Thank you. Can I ask one more question. What is wrong with my first attempt using the chain rule? Can i still get the same answer if I kept going with my solution?

Klaz said:
What is wrong with my first attempt using the chain rule? Can i still get the same answer if I kept going with my solution?
I couldn't follow what you were trying to do.

Klaz said:
Let u=(v-gt)^1/2
Where did you get this?

Perhaps you meant to follow gneill's advice:
gneill said:
that would be ##v = v_o - g t##. Square both sides so that you have an expression for ##v^2##.

You can try that again and you should get the same answer.

Doc Al said:
I couldn't follow what you were trying to do.Where did you get this?

Perhaps you meant to follow gneill's advice:

You can try that again and you should get the same answer.
Yes I followed his advice. I'll give it one more try using that. Thank you.

Related to Projectile Motion: Deriving 2g^2

1. What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the movement of an object through the air or space under the influence of gravity alone. It follows a curved path known as a parabola.

2. How is the acceleration due to gravity (g) related to projectile motion?

The acceleration due to gravity (g) is the key factor in determining the trajectory of a projectile. It is responsible for the downward acceleration of the projectile, causing it to follow a curved path.

3. What is the equation for calculating the displacement of a projectile?

The equation for calculating the displacement of a projectile is d = v0t + 1/2gt2, where d is the displacement, v0 is the initial velocity, t is the time, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

4. How does the formula for 2g2 relate to projectile motion?

The formula for 2g2 is derived from the equation for displacement by setting the initial velocity (v0) to 0 and solving for g. This formula is commonly used in physics to calculate the acceleration due to gravity.

5. Can 2g2 be used for all types of projectile motion?

Yes, the formula for 2g2 can be used for all types of projectile motion, as long as the initial velocity is known and the object is under the influence of gravity only. However, it may not be the most accurate formula for objects with non-negligible air resistance or for objects that are launched at very high speeds.