Projectile Motion and Gravity: Calculating Height of a Projectile

In summary, the conversation is discussing a projectile motion problem in which a projectile is shot straight up from the Earth's surface at a high speed. The group discusses the use of the theory of gravity and conservation of energy to find the height reached by the projectile. The final suggestion is to use the conservation of energy principle and specific formulas to solve the problem.
tibessiba
Is this projectile motion??

Homework Statement

A projectile is shot straight up from the Earth's surface at a speed of 1.30×104 km/hr.

How high does it go?

Is this just a projectile motion problem? Or is it different because it has something to do with the theory of gravity? (because that is the section we are on in class).

Physics news on Phys.org
Just a projectile motion problem.

Oh, ok...

Thanks

I think you mean 1.30*10^4km/hr, but I could be wrong. If so then it is fast enough that you can't take g=constant. So it's a gravity problem. It might be handy to know something about conservation of energy.

Oops.. Yes I do mean 1.30*10^4...

Ok, then you just need to know an expression for gravitational potential energy that is more general than mgh.

I think it's a free-fall motion problem. You use the UAM (uniformly accelerated motion) formula d = (Vf^2 - Vi^2) / 2g, but make sure that g is negative since the projectile was shot upwards.

Rylynn97 said:
I think it's a free-fall motion problem. You use the UAM (uniformly accelerated motion) formula d = (Vf^2 - Vi^2) / 2g, but make sure that g is negative since the projectile was shot upwards.

Wrong, the projectile is moving at nearly orbital velocity. You can't take 'g' constant.

Use conservation of energy principle.
KE = 1/2.mv^2
PE= GMm/(R + h). Substitute GM = gR^2. Find the value of h

Related to Projectile Motion and Gravity: Calculating Height of a Projectile

1. Is projectile motion only seen in a vertical direction?

No, projectile motion can occur in any direction. It is defined as the motion of an object through the air under the influence of gravity, without any additional forces acting on it.

2. How does air resistance affect projectile motion?

Air resistance can impact the trajectory of a projectile by slowing it down and altering its path. In some cases, it can even cause a projectile to change direction or fall to the ground earlier than expected.

3. Can projectile motion be accurately calculated and predicted?

Yes, projectile motion can be predicted using mathematical equations and principles of physics. However, external factors such as air resistance, wind, and temperature can affect the accuracy of these calculations.

4. Can a projectile's initial velocity affect its trajectory?

Yes, the initial velocity of a projectile has a significant impact on its trajectory. A higher initial velocity will result in a longer flight time and a longer distance traveled, while a lower initial velocity will result in a shorter flight time and distance.

5. Is projectile motion affected by the mass of the object?

Yes, the mass of an object can affect its projectile motion. The greater the mass, the greater the force of gravity acting on it, which can result in a different trajectory compared to a lighter object with the same initial velocity.