Projectile motion and electric field strength

In summary, an electron is launched at an angle of 38.5° and a speed of 4.12×10^6 m/s from the positive plate of a parallel plate capacitor. It lands 3.03 cm away, and the problem involves solving for the electric field strength inside the capacitor. The equations used include time equals distance over velocity, initial velocity in the y direction equals the initial velocity times the sine of the angle, initial velocity in the x direction equals the initial velocity times the cosine of the angle, and position as a function of time equals the initial velocity times time plus one half times the acceleration times time squared. The key concept is to split the problem into horizontal and vertical components and use the equations to solve
mohemoto

Homework Statement

An electron is launched at a α=38.5° angle and speed of 4.12×10^6 m/s from the positive plate of the parallel plate capacitor shown. If the electron lands d=3.03 cm away, what is the electric field strength inside the capacitor?

Homework Equations

t = d/v
v0y = v*sin0
v0x = v*cos0
x(t) = v0t + 1/2at^2

The Attempt at a Solution

So I first solved for v0y, since the electric field strength is perpendicular and only depends on vertical velocity.

v0y = 2.57 x 10^6

I then found time, after finding the hypotenuse of the distance

d = sqrt(0.0303^2 + 0.0303^2)
d = 0.04

t = d/v
t = 0.04 / 4.12 x 10^6
t = 1.04 x 10^-8

After this, I know I need to find acceleration using
x(t) = v0y*t + 1/2at^2

And this is where I have problems. I'm not exactly sure that the above procedure is correct, but assuming that it is, do I make the position zero? So is it:

v0y = 2.57 x 10^6
t = 1.04 x 10^-8
a = ?
x(t) = 0

I know that after this I just have to substitute into
Eq = ma

And solve for E, but I'm having trouble with solving for acceleration..please help!

Thank you very much!

Physics news on Phys.org
mohemoto said:
t = d/v
v0y = v*sin0
v0x = v*cos0
x(t) = v0t + 1/2at^2

You might have an easier time solving this problem if you clarify these equations. Although I could be mistaken since I don't have a diagram, this seems like a generic projectile motion problem with an E&M twist. Rather than using a=9.8 m/s2 (which is the case in most simple projectile motion problems), you're solving for an unknown acceleration, from which you can calculate the electric field strength. The key concept here, as in most other simple projectile motion problems, is that you can split the problem into two components: a horizontal one, and a vertical one. In the horizontal direction (parallel to the plates), there is no net force. Thus:

[tex] \Delta x(t) = v_{0x} t = v_0 cos( \alpha ) t [/tex]

In the vertical direction, there is a net force due to the electric field, resulting in a net (but constant) acceleration. We can therefore write:

[tex] \Delta y(t) = v_{0y} t + \frac{1}{2} a t^2 = v_0 sin( \alpha ) t + \frac{1}{2} a t^2 [/tex]

Finally, we need to figure out what [tex] \Delta x [/tex] and [tex] \Delta y [/tex] are. I think you're a bit confused on this point:

I then found time, after finding the hypotenuse of the distance

d = sqrt(0.0303^2 + 0.0303^2)
d = 0.04

You might be overthinking this. The electron lands 3.03cm away--is this in the x-direction, the y-direction, or some combination therein? And what does the word "land" tell you about the electron's position along the y-direction?

Once you have [tex] \Delta x [/tex] and [tex] \Delta y [/tex], you should be able to solve the system of equations for the acceleration, then use that to find the electric field strength.

Last edited:
Yes, it is a projectile motion question, sorry about that!

Okay, so is the 3.03cm in the x direction then? So do I just do t = d/v and solve for t, with d being 3.03 cm and v being 4.12×10^6 m/s? Or is it the v in the x direction that I use?

I'm still slightly confused..I understand the concept behind all of this, but I don't really understand why you need both Delta_x and Delta_y to solve this..

Do you have a diagram of this problem? If so, try drawing a coordinate axis, the initial velocity vector, and perhaps a sketch of the path of the electron, on it (what shape will the latter be?). If that doesn't help, try labeling distances such as that 3.03cm; it might help you visualize exactly what the directions are, and how the equations correspond to them.

I would like to clarify a few things before attempting to solve this problem. First, is the electron launched from the positive plate with a speed of 4.12×10^6 m/s or is this the speed at which it lands? Also, what is the distance between the plates of the capacitor? These details are important in accurately solving the problem.

Assuming that the electron is launched from the positive plate with a speed of 4.12×10^6 m/s and the distance between the plates is 3.03 cm, we can proceed with the solution.

First, we need to find the initial vertical velocity (v0y) and initial horizontal velocity (v0x) of the electron. Since the angle of launch is given as 38.5°, we can use trigonometry to find these values:

v0y = v0 * sinα = (4.12×10^6 m/s) * sin38.5° = 2.57×10^6 m/s
v0x = v0 * cosα = (4.12×10^6 m/s) * cos38.5° = 3.24×10^6 m/s

Next, we can use the equation x(t) = v0t + 1/2at^2 to find the acceleration (a) of the electron. We know that the initial position (x0) is zero since the electron is launched from the positive plate, and the final position (x) is 3.03 cm (0.0303 m). We also know the initial vertical velocity (v0y) and the time (t) it takes for the electron to travel this distance (1.04 x 10^-8 s). Plugging these values into the equation, we get:

x(t) = v0y * t + 1/2 * a * t^2
0.0303 m = (2.57×10^6 m/s) * (1.04 x 10^-8 s) + 1/2 * a * (1.04 x 10^-8 s)^2
Solving for a, we get a = 1.41 x 10^16 m/s^2.

Now, we can use the equation F = qE to find the electric field strength (E) inside the capacitor. The force (F

Related to Projectile motion and electric field strength

1. What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object through the air or space under the influence of gravity. It follows a curved path known as a parabola.

2. How is the trajectory of a projectile affected by the electric field strength?

The trajectory of a projectile is affected by the electric field strength because the field exerts a force on the charged object, which changes its direction and speed. This can alter the path of the projectile and lead to a different final destination.

3. How does the angle of projection affect the range of a projectile in an electric field?

The angle of projection affects the range of a projectile in an electric field because different angles will result in different initial velocities and trajectories. The optimal angle for maximum range can be calculated using the equations of projectile motion and the strength of the electric field.

4. What is the relationship between the electric field strength and the force on a charged projectile?

The electric field strength and the force on a charged projectile are directly proportional. This means that as the electric field strength increases, the force on the projectile also increases. This relationship can be described mathematically using the equation F = qE, where F is the force, q is the charge of the projectile, and E is the electric field strength.

5. Can the electric field strength be used to control the motion of a projectile?

Yes, the electric field strength can be used to control the motion of a projectile. By adjusting the strength and direction of the electric field, the force on the projectile can be manipulated, altering its trajectory and final destination. This is the principle behind devices such as particle accelerators and mass spectrometers.