Projectile motion 2-d kinematics

In summary, the first balloon launched by the Jackson team hits Walton dorm 2.0 seconds after launch, striking it halfway between the ground and the roof. The direction of the balloon's initial velocity is 24.0 degrees above the horizontal.
jehan4141
This is an even problem from Cutnell & Johnson 8 edition. Can anyone verify if it is correct?

In the annual battle of the dorms, students gather on the roofs of Jackson and Walton dorms to launch water balloons at each other with slingshots. The horizontal distance between the buildings is 35.0 m, and the heights of the Jackson and Walton buildings are, respectively, 15.0 m and 22.0 m. Ignore air resistance.

(a) The first balloon launched by the Jackson team hits Walton dorm 2.0 s after launch, striking it halfway between the ground and the roof. Find the direction of the balloon's initial velocity. Give your answer as an angle measured above the horizontal.

(b) A second balloon launched at the same angle hits the edge of Walton's roof. Find the initial speed of this second balloon.

MY WORK FOR PART A

t = 2 seconds
x = 35 meters
y = -4 meters

Vox = x/t = 35/2
Vox = 17.5 m/s
Vox = VocosƟ
17.5 = VocosƟ
Vo = 17.5/cosƟ

Voy = Vo + at

y = Voyt + 0.5at2 = -VosinƟ -4.9t2
-4 = (17.5/cosƟ)sinƟt -4.9t2 <----plug in t = 2
-4 = (17.5)(2)tanƟ - (4.9)(4)
Ɵ = 24.0 degrees

Vo = 17.5/cosƟ
Vo = 17.5/cosƟ = 19.2 m/s

ahh i forgot to do part B...But the answer is 28.9 m/s for part B?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
jehan4141 said:
This is an even problem from Cutnell & Johnson 8 edition. Can anyone verify if it is correct?

In the annual battle of the dorms, students gather on the roofs of Jackson and Walton dorms to launch water balloons at each other with slingshots. The horizontal distance between the buildings is 35.0 m, and the heights of the Jackson and Walton buildings are, respectively, 15.0 m and 22.0 m. Ignore air resistance.

(a) The first balloon launched by the Jackson team hits Walton dorm 2.0 s after launch, striking it halfway between the ground and the roof. Find the direction of the balloon's initial velocity. Give your answer as an angle measured above the horizontal.

(b) A second balloon launched at the same angle hits the edge of Walton's roof. Find the initial speed of this second balloon.

MY WORK FOR PART A

t = 2 seconds
x = 35 meters
y = -4 meters

Vox = x/t = 35/2
Vox = 17.5 m/s
Vox = VocosƟ
17.5 = VocosƟ
Vo = 17.5/cosƟ

Voy = Vo + at

y = Voyt + 0.5at2 = -VosinƟ -4.9t2
-4 = (17.5/cosƟ)sinƟt -4.9t2 <----plug in t = 2
-4 = (17.5)(2)tanƟ - (4.9)(4)
Ɵ = 24.0 degrees

Vo = 17.5/cosƟ
Vo = 17.5/cosƟ = 19.2 m/s

ahh i forgot to do part B...But the answer is 28.9 m/s for part B?

Nice method of calculation!

WOOHOO! Thank you! I love this site...My teacher refuses to give us the answers for even problems, even right before the quiz! How are we supposed to know if we are doing it right :(

jehan4141 said:
WOOHOO! Thank you! I love this site...My teacher refuses to give us the answers for even problems, even right before the quiz! How are we supposed to know if we are doing it right :(

If you think you have the right answer, you are most probably right. If you are not sure whether you are right, you are quite possibly wrong. CONFIDENCE! - backed up by sound preparation.

Yes, that is correct. To find the initial speed for part B, we can use the same equation from part A: Vo = 17.5/cosƟ. However, in this case, we are given the angle Ɵ (24.0 degrees) and the distance traveled (35.0 m), so we can rearrange the equation to solve for Vo: Vo = 35.0/cosƟ. Plugging in Ɵ = 24.0 degrees, we get Vo = 28.9 m/s.

Related to Projectile motion 2-d kinematics

1. What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object that is launched into the air and then moves under the influence of gravity alone. It is a combination of horizontal and vertical motion, and can be described using 2-d kinematics.

2. What is 2-d kinematics?

2-d kinematics is the study of motion in two dimensions, specifically in the x and y directions. It involves analyzing the position, velocity, and acceleration of an object as it moves in a 2-d space.

3. What are the key equations used to describe projectile motion in 2-d kinematics?

The key equations used to describe projectile motion in 2-d kinematics are the equations for displacement, velocity, and acceleration in the x and y directions. These include:

• Displacement: x = x0 + v0xt + 1/2axt2 and y = y0 + v0yt + 1/2ayt2
  • Velocity: vx = v0x + axt and vy = v0y + ayt
  • Acceleration: ax = 0 and ay = -g (where g is the acceleration due to gravity)

4. How is projectile motion affected by air resistance?

Air resistance can affect projectile motion by slowing down the object and changing its trajectory. This is because air resistance creates a force that opposes the motion of the object, causing it to lose energy and decrease in speed. In some cases, air resistance can also cause the object to deviate from its original path.

5. How can we use 2-d kinematics to predict the landing point of a projectile?

By analyzing the initial velocity and angle of launch, as well as the acceleration due to gravity, we can use the equations of 2-d kinematics to predict the landing point of a projectile. This can be useful for activities such as sports, where predicting the trajectory of a ball can help with aiming and scoring.